Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 88 Special a new Jeff Bagby Design

Originally posted by rhodesj View Post
    Cool beans. I'd love to know what the horizontal polar response is. I've got a relatively wide seating area and would love a speaker to suit.
    There are polars for the SEOS-15 posted somewhere. It's a heck of a waveguide.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
      I really think details should come from Erich. They're his drivers.
      No problem. Makes perfect sense to me. I was asking if you wanted to elaborate as I realized you might not be comfortable doing so. I wasn't necessarily asking you to elaborate although my wording could have been taken either way.

Comment

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
        lol Glad somebody got it ;)

Johny dangerously ;)

Comment

By the way, I stink at coming up with names. This one was going to be called something something center channel. But it works very well for all 3 front speakers, so that naming idea was scrapped.

I asked some other people for naming help and 'The 88 Special' seemed to be liked by more people. So for now, that's what we're going with. :D Special because it can be used for a center, or the left and right without any changes. Sounds special to me!

As for the woofer? I wanted to use dual 8" woofers in a couple designs and needed a woofer closer to 16 ohms so wiring in parallel would be more 8 ohm receiver friendly.

Comment

Could The layout of the drivers be changed so it could be TMM? The speaker has kind of a wierd layout and look to it. But it seems it it could be made into a stacked TMM for the R-L channels then you might end up with a more ascetically pleasing looking front 3.

Also I am curious about your plans for a Home Theater section on the DIYsoundgroup website. I am considering plans for a new HT system for my family room in our new house. My plans were a pair of the fusion 8's and the fusion 8 MTM. But I would also like to have a pair of smaller waveguide speakers for surround duty. I had considered the fusion 6's but I wanted to see what you thought and what your plans were before I pulled the trigger on anything.

My new setup is much more spacious then the old apartment. The new family room is very open. It is open to the kitchen and formal dining room. And I now have 10' ceilings. So I am looking to build a new set of 5.x HT setup to fill the larger space with sound. I would also like to do this with a set of Jeff Bagby waveguide speakers from diy sound group :-).

So any suggestions that either or Jeff and Erich could make would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Kevin
            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
            OS MTM's
            Digger 8 sub
            Overnight Sensations Center Channel
            Sprite Build
            Wolf's PC Speakers
            Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

It been some time since the last post, any takers ?

I would like to use these for side and back surrounds.....

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                Johny dangerously ;)
                It's an 88 Mag. It shoots through schools.... 😨😨😨😁😁😁😁😁

Comment

I know this thread is two years dead but...

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post

They're vented in order to get to 60Hz. I don't like big speakers that only reach 100Hz. It just doesn't feel right to me. Of course, someone can plug the ports or build a baffle without ports if they want.
                  I'm in the middle of building this using the DIYSG flat pack to go with a pair of Fusion-8s in an L-C-R arrangement. I'm thinking about plugging the ports of the 88 Special. Is this as simple as it sounds or do I also need to make crossover adjustments?

FYI I also will be using a sub or two low-passed between 80-120Hz.

Thanks

Comment

plugging the ports will not require a crossover change. You will just lose some low end output. I don't know how low it will go without ports so I am not sure how well it will match up with a sub but I would guess it would probably fall within your 80-120hz crossover range.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                      plugging the ports will not require a crossover change. You will just lose some low end output. I don't know how low it will go without ports so I am not sure how well it will match up with a sub but I would guess it would probably fall within your 80-120hz crossover range.
                      ​FWIW, if those drivers are based on the Beta 8A design, I wouldn't use them sealed. They'd roll off too soon for good matching with a sub.

BTW, it's an interesting design, but one that doesn't really appeal to me aesthetically.

Jeff, have you tried doing any designs with the Beta 8CX, the coaxial version of the Beta 8A driver? Vacation's coming up and I'm getting that itch to cut some wood again... :-)
                      Brian Steele
                      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                      X