NuForce MCP-18, an 8 channel analog preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NuForce MCP-18, an 8 channel analog preamp

In case anybody might be looking for a commerically manufactured multichannel analog preamp for remote level control for loudspeaker development with an active DSP setup, this NuForce MCP-18 might be of interest. Audio Advisor has them on sale for $599 delivered.

I'm thinking this might be good to A/B two different active crossovers selecting between channel 1 and 2.

I ordered one last night.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/NuForce-MCP-18-2-Channel-or-Multi-Channel-Preamplifier/productinfo/NUMCP18/

Click image for larger version

Name:	numcp18_r-LARGE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1189380
    "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
    - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
    A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
    (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Re: NuForce MCP-18, an 8 channel analog preamp

Sony's TA-P9000ES 6-ch analog preamp was briefly available in 2001, wasn't on the market for very long, had an MSRP around $700 and sold for much less when few were interested in buying them. They seem to get quick attention on the used market. I regretted missing out on getting one of those when new.

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/700/index.html
    "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."

Comment

this is sorta what I was looking for my DSP. Thanks!
      Better make a few extra $.
      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

And NuForce does make a very nice product with great support. (A friend of mine is one of their tech guys hehe )
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I've been eyeing this thing for months to replace my MSB MVC, which is super clean and transparent, but lacks multiple inputs and balanced outputs.

Greg

Comment

Mine arrived last night, how about you JRT? Very nice looking and feeling in person. I have a level matched, A/B/C shootout scheduled for next weekend to compare it with my MSB and a Crane Song Avocet in a high end mastering facility. Last time we did the comparo, the MSB fared very well against the Crane Song. Here's to hoping the NuForce does just as well or better.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gregbegland View Post
              Mine arrived last night, how about you JRT? Very nice looking and feeling in person. I have a level matched, A/B/C shootout scheduled for next weekend to compare it with my MSB and a Crane Song Avocet in a high end mastering facility. Last time we did the comparo, the MSB fared very well against the Crane Song. Here's to hoping the NuForce does just as well or better.

Greg
              Got mine on Saturday but did not have the time to try it. Let me know if you hear something other than perfection from the preamps in the comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
                Got mine on Saturday but did not have the time to try it. Let me know if you hear something other than perfection from the preamps in the comparison.
                For sure. I'll check in with the results.

Greg

Comment

I'm also interested in the results of your comparison.

I had an MVC, but (probably stupidly) sold it when I thought I was getting out of active xover experiments. Now that we've moved, I may be heading down a road where this type of unit might be useful. At the original $1k list price, I'm not sure the Nuforce offered a compelling value proposition over the MVC unless you really need that 2nd input. At $599 (which according to a post on AC is actually the new list price, not a special sale) it's far more attractive.

This is all assuming that both units are comparably transparent.

I thought the use of a CMOS dac in multiplying mode was a pretty cool implementation choice for the MVC. Does anyone know what the internals of the Nuforce are using?

Comment

I think it's using this for Volume control:

http://www.njr.com/MUSES/MUSES72320.html

Greg

Comment

mine is arriving tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                        mine is arriving tomorrow.
                        Please give us a review!!
                        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I didn't forget about you guys, just got sent out of town for work. I have the listening comparison rescheduled for this Sunday.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
                            Please give us a review!!
                            I can only review functionality, fit and finish. As far as the guts and measurements, that's not my department.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                              I can only review functionality, fit and finish. As far as the guts and measurements, that's not my department.
                              Subjective and objective reviews are both helpful.
                              "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                              ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Working...
                              X