Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Driver replacement for Swope sub???

Originally posted by pastorola View Post
    Hey that was really nice, thank you for that!

Another question, very related. Today I got my hands on a Behringer Super-X PRO CX2310 stereo 2-way crossover with separate sub output w/ optional 25 Hz HP filter.

Could this be used to properly filter a regular power amp to power this sub instead of using a sub plate amp?
    Sub amps have a LPF and HPF (subsonic). A few sub amps don't have the HPF (subsonic). The HPF is used to protect the driver from over-excursion. It's not absolutely needed, but good safety. You need a LPF so if the CX2310 has that, you can use it as a sub amp.

For power, all those drivers were modeled at 300W and most were at or near 15% past Xmax (typical acceptable limit) with the Peerless being well past that near the low 20s Hz mark (all modeled with a 18Hz HPF).
    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

jsr, thanks for all that simming.

Do your models account for the built-in EQ that the BASH amps have?
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

No prob Paul. No, I didn't account for the Bash boost. I kept it as a generic amp set at 100Hz LPF and 18Hz HPF. I think stock boost is 1dB in the mid-20s or 30s. Tuning the Bash would allow an even smaller enclosure but less overall output.
        Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
        Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
        Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
        Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
        Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Looking further for suitable components available in Sweden for reasonable money. I found a Stage Line 300W plate amp available, and according to the Swedish dealer these amps are without boost and have a 20 Hz HPF. This would mean 300W and flat output from 20 Hz. What do you guys say about this?

Monacor Stage Line SAM-300D

Another thing. Paul, as long as I stay with the internal air volume and port length/width I'm okay with tampering a bit with the dimensions? Trying to build something customized for my new living room, looking nice in the room and together with my soon-to-be-built OSMTM's...
          __________________________________________________ ________
          Thank God the World is bigger than my view of it.

Comment

NP.

Comment

How about one (or a pair) of Paul's RSS210HF-4 sub designs?
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...the-RSS210HF-4

Comment

Originally posted by matt996 View Post
                How about one (or a pair) of Paul's RSS210HF-4 sub designs?
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...the-RSS210HF-4
                Or even the same driver as tuned in the bass of my Attitudes. 1ft^3, 1.5 pounds of fill, 2.5" x 10" long flared port.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Am I right if I assume that the RSS210HF-4 will make a little smaller and cheaper sub that still digs deep, but quite a lot less SPL?

How much less in real life? The sub is meant to serve as bottom end for Overnight Sensations MTM.

Comment

You'd need 32 pair of Overnights before that sub was taxed.

No . . . 16 pair.

Comment

The Overnights MTM are 6 dB louder than the TM version. Still that obvious?

Comment

Well at least here in Sweden the price difference between the Dayton 8" and the Dayton 10" is quite small. And the smaller plate amps are not so much cheaper either. Maybe I'll build the bigger one, the price is a little higher but then it's a "do-it-right-and-be-done-with-it" as Paul C says. If I build it I can follow me through all speaker upgrades.

But I'm still considering. What plate amp would do it for the RSS210HF-4?

Comment

To keep costs down, I've used the (unboosted) Yung 300w with the 10" HF, ported.

Comment

Originally posted by pastorola View Post
                            But I'm still considering. What plate amp would do it for the RSS210HF-4?
                            70W for max excursion and about 100 dB according to Paul. So, not an SPL king; the 10" option has much more power handling. But if you put the money saved on amplification toward building multiples, you'd get your output and some help with the room modes too.

Comment

Originally posted by matt996 View Post
                              70W for max excursion and about 100 dB according to Paul. So, not an SPL king; the 10" option has much more power handling. But if you put the money saved on amplification toward building multiples, you'd get your output and some help with the room modes too.
                              Well the thing is that the money saved on amplification gets me nowhere near the money needed to buy the extra driver. Or am I missing something?

Comment

How do you measure the port length when using an elbow? How "long" is the elbow? Zero?

Comment

Working...
                                X