Dayton ND90/ND16 two way from MWAF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton ND90/ND16 two way from MWAF?

Someone had built a nice little two way bookshelf speaker at MWAF featuring these two drivers, anyone know who it was or if there is any info on the forum about it? I am taking on a similar build.

Re: Dayton ND90/ND16 two way from MWAF?

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
    Someone had built a nice little two way bookshelf speaker at MWAF featuring these two drivers, anyone know who it was or if there is any info on the forum about it? I am taking on a similar build.
    ND91/ND16, and it was Tom Bond's.
    Man- I hope to do the walkarounds tonight....

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hi Dustin, that was me, Wolf is correct it was the ND91-8 and ND16. I'm submitting it to the projects page in a couple of days but here's the basics: 75 Hz tuning ( I built the boxes from specs on the site and had one driver that made the proper tuning but had to go through 3 different other drivers to find a match that would achieve a tuning that was correct, long story short, get your drivers in hand to determine the proper volume first.) I used 4th order LR slopes on both drivers with a crossover point of 3500Hz. I'm still doing a slight tweaking but here is where I'm at so far(see pics). If you want to bring down the top end from 1000Hz on up change the resistor at R7 on the woofer to 16 ohms and the resistor at R10 on the tweeter to 9 ohms.
      Attached Files
      "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

Those little speakers had a lot of style for being palm-sized! I liked them a lot-very cool!

TomZ
        Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Tom, they sound much better now, I lightened up on the BSC and simplified the crossover.
          Attached Files
          "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

I just wanted to comment on how nice these look. I really like the two different colors of the wood together.

Comment

Thanks fwiler, the baffles are made from Redheart which is just beautiful in my opinion. The rest is just simple maple veneer, but it does provide a nice contrast.

Comment

The ND series jsut looks gorgeous rear mounted like that. Beautiful aesthetics.

I'm a massive fan of Padauk......that redheart looks very nice.
                Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

This is a very classy little speaker!
                  What is the internal volume of the box?
                  Thanks

Comment

The baffle is 8 x 5 and the volume is a little over 2 liters. However if you want to build something like this I would get the drivers first and adjust the volume accordingly. I designed the box based on specs on the website, and I had to order multiple divers before I got ones that would work in these boxes. PE took returns on the ones I couldn't use because their customer service is awesome. At least in my opinion.

Comment

Beautiful cabinets! I love the contrast.

Comment

I think that I need a pair of these! Tom, could you look over the hand drawn crossover and comment or update as appropriate? Do I need to flip tweeter polarity?

Thanks!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry I just saw this. Tweeter polarity is not reversed. The resistor is after the cap on its own leg.

Comment

Tom,

Thanks so much for clarifying this for me! You mentioned earlier up the thread that you had tweaked the crossover a bit. Does my drawing above (sans resistor change that you pointed out) still reflect your best design? I'm about to get started on a set of these!

Comment

Working...
                            X