Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capacitors in parallel.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Capacitors in parallel.

    G'day,

    If I needed to make up a capacitor value by adding Caps in a parallel bundle and it's going into the signal path does the number of caps in that bundle degrade signal quality at all. 3 or 4 caps vs 20 or so ?
    Hail Cork Master , The master of the cork, He knows which Wine goes with Fish or Pork!

  • #2
    Re: Capacitors in parallel.

    I don't think so.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

    Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

    http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Capacitors in parallel.

      Originally posted by Cyrus Ramsey View Post
      G'day,

      If I needed to make up a capacitor value by adding Caps in a parallel bundle and it's going into the signal path does the number of caps in that bundle degrade signal quality at all. 3 or 4 caps vs 20 or so ?
      Any cap in a xover is in the signal path.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

      *InDIYana event website*

      Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

      My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Capacitors in parallel.

        Actually it is often a good thing. The ESR will be reduced and the smaller value caps are often better than larger value caps of the same type. I like to use caps no bigger than 10uF for film types.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Capacitors in parallel.

          +1.

          Parallel resistances divide, and ESR is resistance. Any of the slight nonlinearity a cap may have (and that's why we prefer the film caps) will add in series configuration, not a parallel one. Linearity is (mostly) different from ESR, but would (mostly) behave the same in series/parallel setups.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Capacitors in parallel.

            Originally posted by jonpike View Post
            +1.

            Parallel resistances divide, and ESR is resistance. Any of the slight nonlinearity a cap may have (and that's why we prefer the film caps) will add in series configuration, not a parallel one. Linearity is (mostly) different from ESR, but would (mostly) behave the same in series/parallel setups.
            N
            ..... Except one non linearity that a series capacitor connection is used to fix. Film caps can have a resonances since the winding layers can move a bit. A dc bias applied through a high value resistor provides a bias that provides electrostatic attraction between the windings. Arnie Nudell of Infinity and Richard Vandersteen of Vandersteen have both used this approach in crossovers. Back to back polar electrolytics with have less distortion with this bias technique. You will still probably still wind up with a lower ESR by using low ESR caps designed for switching power supplies, even though the ESRs add. Most bipolar electrolytics have pretty high ESR.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Capacitors in parallel.

              Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              Any cap in a xover is in the signal path.
              Later,
              Wolf
              Yes it is
              Hail Cork Master , The master of the cork, He knows which Wine goes with Fish or Pork!

              Comment

              Working...
              X