Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The DIY 2.1 amplifier. Should I build it? Would you buy it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyger23
    replied
    Re: The DIY 2.1 amplifier. Should I build it? Would you buy it?

Neil - Greetings from 37,000 feet.

That looks totally awesome and it exactly what I was trying to accomplish in the first place. However, costs and GUI concerns were just too much for me to tackle for revision 1.

If we get to a rev 2, I'd love to go in that direction. Or, if you plan to do something with that chip, let me know and I'll help out as I can.

Also - if you have any feedback on the current layout/schematics, I'd love to hear it. Things are really cramped and the fixed layout positions (dictated by the case holes), have limited the "best" layouts....

Leave a comment:

• neildavis
    replied

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
    The design is ready to go. I am headed to Taiwan (again) and will solicit some more feedback on the best layout and fabrication houses there and we will get going shortly.
    Regarding Rev 2: Any chance a future iteration could provide this circuitry in place of the analog processing: http://www.dafx14.fau.de/papers/dafx...budget_ope.pdf ?
    It's basically the Analog Devices reference circuit for the ADAU1701, with through-hole parts (except for the ADAU1701 itself).

I think it would be possible to have an "open-source" initiative to write code for the Arduino interface that would allow real-time interaction with the DSP. And it would be possible to have a collaborative effort to develop a nice GUI to compete with the miniDSP stuff. Just a thought at this point, but since you are finalizing the board layouts, I thought this "next step" might be worth considering.

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

The design is ready to go. I am headed to Taiwan (again) and will solicit some more feedback on the best layout and fabrication houses there and we will get going shortly.

Leave a comment:

• devinkato
    replied

Any updates on this project?

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

Most up-to-date schematics and layout. These include the series capacitors in the output path (which can be optionally shorted), and they include a change to a more commonly available and cheaper RCA connector. This last change may require some finagling during the final assembly for the component height, but it should be worth it to drop the costs by more than $1.

Reviews and comments appreciated. The virtual grounding technique in the schematics and the point-to-point grounding technique in the layout are the most suspect for now.

Thanks!

activefilter - Project.pdf

baseboard - PCB.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Asbot
    replied

In Comfort Tx. I live Just south of Abilene.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

"The sound of Chinese manufacturing"

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

HOORAY!!!!

The TPA3116 boards (the second set) arrived today! Also, I'm leaving in a few minutes to spend a week at the "audio think tank" conference known as Project BBQ. This is basically a conference of some of the greatest minds in audio gathering to drink beer, play music, and contemplate the future of all things audio. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some good feedback and reviews on the schematics/layout and I'll get this thing sent off to production next week.
    http://www.projectbarbq.com/

Thanks again for all the community support!

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

For anyone wanting to know the status on this and/or wondering where I've been:

1. I have received the TDA7492 amps. Thanks Silver1OMO!

2. I ordered the TPA3116 amps over a month ago. After going 3000 rounds with USPS to figure out where they went - I discovered they were delivered to an old address I no longer live at. I'm trying to recover them, but I don't think I'll be able to. So, I've ordered another set from Yuan Jing. Hopefully these go to the right address.

3. In the past 2 months, I've flown over 40,000 miles and have been on the road more than I've been home. My wife and kids aren't happy - but that's what the job requires sometimes. Hopefully that will change soon, but I don't know if it will.

As soon as the second set of TPA3116 amps arrive, I hope to verify the mounting holes and gerber out the boards. I'm so sorry for the delays. Thanks for the patience!

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

Sorry for the delayed reply. The answer will depend on the DC voltage being applied to the amps, the speaker loading, and how loud you want to listen. The TPA3116 would be the highest power, so I'll use that. Now, worst case would be running the stereo amp with 4-ohm loads at 26v DC. This would yield about 85w/channel. Then, running the mono amp in PBTL mode at 26V DC into a 2-ohm load would yield about 160W.

Assuming 90% efficiency, the amp would consume (85 + 85 + 160) / 0.9 = 366W. Tack on about 3dB of headroom, and you could actually demand about 732W. At the given voltage of 26V, this would be about 28A.

Now, normal usage of 8-ohm satellites and a 4-ohm sub, and normal listening levels, these numbers won't be nearly this high. I'm expecting a 20v, 150w laptop power supply to be more than sufficient, and I expect a 24v, 200w supply to provide more current than the amp can thermally dissipate.

Anyways - you can never have too much current. Only too much space required to supply that current, or too much voltage.

Leave a comment:

• bdiermeier
    replied

What sort of current would this board (using two amp boards) require? I picked up some transformers that were going to be scrapped which are 25v (obviously I'd have to regulate the voltage), but they are 350va. Is that just too much? I know you can't have too much current, but I don't want a ton more than I need.

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
    Silver1omo - please resend your tracking information, as I have misplaced it.
    Sent you a PM. Please let me know if you got it.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Here's a little 2.1 I'm building in anticipation of the great success of Tyger's amp. Tyger's Mariposas in 3/4" wood, and DanP's little NRNP TB sub.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by djg; 09-22-2014, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

Guys - just a quick update. I have received the amp case, but the boards from China have not shown up yet. Sadly, I'm globe trotting for the next two weeks (Brazil then Taiwan), so I'm not going to be able to do much even if the amp boards arrive tomorrow. I really want to wait on those to make sure everything fits and to be able to measure and add mounting holes in the right places.

Silver1omo - please resend your tracking information, as I have misplaced it.

Leave a comment:

• bdiermeier
    replied

I think you misunderstood my question- but managed to answer it anyways. I was looking to do exactly what you just listed as an option- two boards in stereo PBTL mode, with the mono going to an external amplifier.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X