• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which graph look better for HT ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5cu%20spl.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1189768 Which of these graphs looks better for HT ?

Re: Which graph look better for HT ?

Well, the 15" (blue) LOOKS better (by the data you've shown), but . . .
    you really should model these with your sub amp's LP/HP filters set, and your power dialed in.
    For me, 35-40Hz would be a great F3 for a music only system, whereas for HT I'd prefer something in the 25-30 range.

Comment

For HT I'd always go with a setup with significantly lower extension even if I needed to use a larger driver (or multiple drivers) and more amplification for sufficient SPL. I prefer; 1. infinite baffle, followed by 2. sealed... either with Qtb of about .5. One cannot equalize frequencies below tuning frequency of a ported system but sealed and IB certainly can be if there's enough capacity to handle it.
      "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Depends on the room size. A smaller room will have more cabin gain down low, so the f3 doesn't have to be as low. A larger room doesn't have as much cabin gain so it needs lower f3.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Room is big 22x23x8 so i will be building 4 ported subs around 5 cuft net
          With either the SI 15's or 18's which are both in the model .
          Each will recieve a real 900w from an inuke 6000.

??

Comment

My room is a just bit smaller... 16x24x9. I'll be installing three pairs of SI 18's in IB manifolds (total of six drivers). I think that'll be far more than either I or my neighbors can handle. I feel no need to port mine for additional SPL and I prefer IB or sealed anyway.
            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              Depends on the room size. A smaller room will have more cabin gain down low, so the f3 doesn't have to be as low. A larger room doesn't have as much cabin gain so it needs lower f3.
              So are you saying the SI15 graph is better for a larger room ?

Comment

I like the blue line.. cuz I like blue...

Ok, not only cuz I like blue. But depending on quite a few factors, I've had great success with woofers in HT that modeled very similarly to the blue line. I figure the flatter the response is to begin with, the easier it is to EQ after the fact. While it is true that IB or sealed subs have the ability to EQ down like while a ported enclosure is not able to EQ below tuning, I find that with a sub that models like the blue line, very little EQ would be needed in the first place. And unless you have lots of subs with lots of juice, EQing a sealed enclosure usually results in exceeding Xmax before lower tuning overcomes that of a ported enclosure. But your mileage may vary. Of course, that all depends on how much rumbling below 20 hz you are going for. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by randyc1 View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]49718[/ATTACH] Which of these graphs looks better for HT ?
                  As Percieved SQ,...Would the Red graph's Low-End sound weak Compared to the rest of it's own FR ?

And if a House Curve is desired, would'nt the Green graph make that easier to achieve ?

Comment

So are you saying the SI15 graph is better for a larger room ?
                    As far as raw response goes, yes. But I expect that the 18 will have greater maximum SPL, which you also want to take into consideration before making a choice.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      As far as raw response goes, yes. But I expect that the 18 will have greater maximum SPL, which you also want to take into consideration before making a choice.
                      Yes Bill , look at post #9 Red is SI18" Green is SI15" both in 5 cuft net

Yes that is my dillema ?? I will have (4 subs) about 5 cuft net each in a (22x23x8) room , just looking for best Driver to match ?

Comment

With enough power and displacement you can EQ the sealed option to go significantly lower than the vented option.
                        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Yes Bill , look at post #9 Red is SI18" Green is SI15" both in 5 cuft net

Yes that is my dillema ?? I will have (4 subs) about 5 cuft net each in a (22x23x8) room , just looking for best Driver to match ?
                          Since maximum output doesn't particularly favor either I'd go with the less expensive drivers.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Working...
                          X