OT: Shuttle launch video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Shuttle launch video

I was playing legos with my 3-year old son today, and he was pretending to build a space shuttle. I thought I'd show him a video, and I found this one. Probably best with a subwoofer ;).

Sadly, this almost brought a tear to my eye as I remember that he'll never see NASA shuttle launches like I did (both the good and the bad). Here's to hoping that fantasy and intrigue continue to fuel the next generation, and hopefully they'll have their own form of space travel that's just as amazing to watch!

Enjoy - and turn it up!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoNITE-CLc
    DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
    The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
    The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
    The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
    AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Re: OT: Shuttle launch video

When I was a kid there were several moon missions. It was a pretty cool time to be a young boy and marvel at all the rockets going into space. Of course, for us kids there were Estes rockets to play with. AND we had Space Food Sticks and Tang (no, not that kind of tang!) as snacks!

They'll be more shuttles some day. Bigger, better and faster.
    1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs

Comment

living in Florida i was fortunate to see a couple go up . the night shots were amazing !
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

I remember the long hours I, my brother and parents watched in awe on our old B&W TV as Apollo 11 left earth, landed on the moon and returned. I remember the utter breathless silence as Neil Armstrong uttered those timeless words, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." I still get choked up sometimes when i think about it. I was eight years old.
        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
          I remember the long hours I, my brother and parents watched in awe on our old B&W TV as Apollo 11 left earth, landed on the moon and returned. I remember the utter breathless silence as Neil Armstrong uttered those timeless words, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." I still get choked up sometimes when i think about it. I was eight years old.
          I was 9. It was pretty incredible.
          1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs

Comment

I guess it was 1999 or 2000 when the space shuttle was performing a night landing, and for whatever reason, the path brought it over Austin. I can remember the giant fireball that appeared in the sky as it broke through the atmosphere and continued for miles over the top of my head. What was amazing to me was that it looked like I could reach up and touch it. It seemed so close....

Comment

I heard the sonic boom when Columbia broke up over Texas. :(
              -- Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougjohnson View Post
                -- Doug
                That was a shockingly sad day for certain.
                ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

-- Doug
                  I did too in Richardson TX. I remember my outrage and anger that NASA killed another 7 people. Nothing good will ever come out of that nightmare organization again.

Comment

-- Doug
                    I was 60 miles away in a Costco parking lot when Challenger broke up. I heard a know it all sounding guy tell his wife what they're seeing was the transition from first to second stage booster. I didn't have the heart to tell him what really happened.

I saw the Apollo 11 launch from a boat in the Mosquito Lagoon - 7 miles closer than you can get today. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard - pretty violent. It was fantastic! The launch vehicle was huge, twice the height of the space shuttle. I think the Saturn V is close to double the thrust. Lift off duration was really slow compared to the shuttle.

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
                      I did too in Richardson TX. I remember my outrage and anger that NASA killed another 7 people. Nothing good will ever come out of that nightmare organization again.
                      The problem was/is with management, bureaucracy and politics. It's all corrupt with no heart or sense of right-and-wrong. They're all selfish self-centered jackasses. They refused to listen to the technicians and engineers for several nonsensical reasons. The same is true with most or all big government agencies and corporations.
                      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Remember watching the Challenger. Still have it recorded on Beta, thought my nieces and nephews could watch it someday.

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
                          I was 60 miles away in a Costco parking lot when it broke up. I heard a know it all sounding guy tell his wife what they're seeing was the transition from first to second stage booster. I didn't have the heart to tell him what really happened.
                          Sure you aren't mixing up the Challenger with Columbia? If the sound guy thought that Columbia was a second stage booster transition, he was really clueless. I remember the sadness and heartbreak of the Challenger as well - I was in 3rd grade. I also remember the triumph that was the Discovery launch more than 2 years later. Columbia was yet another heartbreak and just like Challenger - avoidable. However, without failures, we cannot learn. It doesn't matter if it's speakers or space shuttles. As such, I hope they find MH370 - I spend too much time on 777's to not want to know EXACTLY what happened on that flight.

Comment

yes, I was referring to challenger in '86.

Comment

Like some of us who remember where they were and what they were doing when Kennedy was shot, I also remember the same when the Columbia broke up. I was in the darkroom of a newspaper I use to string for and I stopped dead in my track astonished what i was hearing. I was listening to a radio. Sad day for for sure.
                              Occasionally I would watch a shuttle take-off on HD Net when they broadcasted one. I sold tvs at the time and watching it on a 70 inch High def tv was pretty incredible but I always had my fingers crossed.

I may have mistaken the shuttles name. Seems I did. My bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X