Interesting Kickstarter campaign - Quarterwave portable sound system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Kickstarter campaign - Quarterwave portable sound system

I thought some of you might be able to identify the driver and enjoy checking out this interesting project. The project seemed to get some traction, since it received well over their projected goal of $10,000.

Quarterwave on Kickstarter

A tiny transmission line or tapered enclosure is a bit intriguing. I haven't noticed any DIY projects that were similar done here (other than garage shelf system someone made with the 3" full range dayton drivers a while ago).

Their website has a little more info, but not much.

Re: Interesting Kickstarter campaign - Quarterwave portable sound system

Certainly looks a lot like the Dayton neo drivers, but also a lot like the Aura NS3-193-8A1 drivers, which were recently a clearanced item and could be had for a great price. Convenient for these people if that is the case and they did a mass buyout.. I like the looks of it, especially in the color above. Bose will probably find some vague patent they own and sue them.. :rolleyes:

Comment

Tang Band has a little single driver speaker kit done like that, only better.

Comment

From the picture the driver is probably the 2-1/2" ND-65, since it is smaller than 4 layers of presumably 3/4" ply.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

I do agree with GTP that is looks like the 2.5" ND65. And dynamo was right-on with his Bose assumption. They should lawyer up.

Has anyone messed around with designing something similar with the 3"? I've only sen tall skinny versions. I'm assuming the trade-off in size, weight, and complexity would make something like the "Sprite" a better option. However, if it's close, I'd be interested in trying to design / build one. I love my Bill Fitz sub and have always thought that something similar for full range sound would be a fun project.

Comment

Originally posted by marlowe View Post
              I haven't noticed any DIY projects that were similar done here
              That's because with a box that small the quarter wavelength frequency is going to be much too high for the design to work as well as a bass reflex that's a lot smaller, and far less complicated to build. It's interesting, but not practical. In fact, if you modeled it in HornResp you'd find that it probably functions as a bass reflex.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

How large would a similar design need to be, to be effective, and produce sound that justified the effort required to build it?
                It is an interesting idea. Were someone to have a suitable design, and need someone to collaborate by building

Comment

REST OF RESPONSE....
                  ...a ptototype, I might help out by developing the tool paths, milling and assembling the laminates, and milling the remaining mounting holes & etc.

Comment

Interesting... And probably better sounding than80-90% of the cheap hook your IPhone up market. Even though its nowhere near a true TL of some type. Also interesting in the that we were just talking about the Wave Radio in another thread.

Comment

This was their second go at kickstarter, their initial campaign failed to meet their goals, although i think it should have.
                      Its a piece of art but as they figured out, they are now offering a sub to fill in the mid to bottom end. That was not offered in their original campaign. Glad to know they kept on developing.
                      I would so buy one, if i had the place to put one or didn't build my own stuff. lol....
                      Its not about concept sometimes but results within a given form factor and in a TL in this size of box.. is just purely academic without a sub to fill in the bottom end.
                      Still, if i needed one, i would definitely get this or peachtree audios deep blue. (whose marketing annoys me with their hyperbole)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/d...eachtree-audio

regards,
                      asmd.

Comment

These Tang Band kits are what I was referencing earlier. Not a boombox, but surely these guys saw the TBs.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers...n-Speaker-Kit/

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/D3-1.htm

PE should sell these. Or not.

Comment

Originally posted by marlowe View Post
                          dynamo was right-on with his Bose assumption. They should lawyer up.
                          Do Bose have specific Patients covering mini quarterwave designs with flared ports? just wondering

Comment

Working...
                          X