OT: Turntable afficionados?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Turntable afficionados?

I've got old vinyl (and some newer) and at one point would like to get a turntable to play them on. But let me state, for the record, the last time I actually played a Vinyl was when I was about 8 years old. It was "The Wiz" soundtrack, IIRC. (which I still have, btw)

I did some Turntable 101 research last night and it appears to get a quality one (something that has a good, non-resonant/low-resonant platter and balanced toner arm), you're looking at $400-500. Then, of course, there are much more costly options such as the Clearaudio turntables I found last night (minimum $1400 and as much as $170k!!!!).

Anyone have suggestions for a relatively budget friendly and quality brand? Any OEMs to look at (ie; apparently Clearaudio OEMs for Mcintosh and others).

I was initially thinking $200-250 would get what I needed. Is that still reasonable or is the $400-500 range really the best bang for the buck range? Any tips on features to look for and those which are worth any added cost?

and, yea... I've done just enough research to find that turntable audiophoolery is even worse than cable audiophoolery...
    ErinsAudioCorner.com

Re: OT: Turntable afficionados?

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
    I've got old vinyl (and some newer) and at one point would like to get a turntable to play them on. But let me state, for the record, the last time I actually played a Vinyl was when I was about 8 years old. It was "The Wiz" soundtrack, IIRC. (which I still have, btw)

I did some Turntable 101 research last night and it appears to get a quality one (something that has a good, non-resonant/low-resonant platter and balanced toner arm), you're looking at $400-500. Then, of course, there are much more costly options such as the Clearaudio turntables I found last night (minimum $1400 and as much as $170k!!!!).

Anyone have suggestions for a relatively budget friendly and quality brand? Any OEMs to look at (ie; apparently Clearaudio OEMs for Mcintosh and others).

I was initially thinking $200-250 would get what I needed. Is that still reasonable or is the $400-500 range really the best bang for the buck range? Any tips on features to look for and those which are worth any added cost?

and, yea... I've done just enough research to find that turntable audiophoolery is even worse than cable audiophoolery...
    two brand that jump out right off the bat would be Rega and Music Hall. I think either would be in your price range. the biggest concern at the price range you are looking in is to find something that will not destroy your vinyl.
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I found an old gentleman selling repaired used units on ebay. He was local, so I traded my AR that had a noisy motor and some cash for an older mass market Japanese direct drive unit with a new cartridge. It was very reasonable and is quiet and speed accurate. I am very happy. It plays through tube gear with no rumble filter.

Comment

Have a link to said eBay seller?
        ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Comment

Get a Direct drive Technics Quartz Locked unit. Preferably the sl1200mkII.
            They're built like tanks and will last forever spinning to 0.01% accuracy.
            i currently own a sl1200mkII and a sl 1600 mkII (auto)
            Hunt around, theres always a deal to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
              There's also turntable cable audiophoolery, as a person can spend thousands on the short tonearm cable alone.

Comment

Like Craig said, look at the lower end Rega or Music Hall. You can find some on the used market for pretty good prices or the occasional open box/refurb at a heavy discount.
                -Kerry

Comment

This is a very good turntable for the money, and fits nicely in your price range.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...A#.VCnHAxaCvbw

They also have a USB version if that sounds like a path you want to take.

Jeff
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	28349_414387315512_7489449_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1161310

My four year old mesmerized by a spinning platter.
                    It will outlast me and is already his if i teach him right..
                    First spin of a BNIB SL1200MKII in the mid 2000s.

Comment

You might want to check these out though I don't know anything about them. A good friend of mine who got me into this hobby shared it with me.

http://uturnaudio.com

Comment

I would lean toward the Project that Jeff pointed out. However, that U-Turn does look pretty interesting!

Good luck, Mark

Comment

The Project, Rega and Music Hall are good choices. I have been a turntable guy for 40 plus years and the belt drive turntables sound the best . I used direct drive turntables for years until the salesman at Stereo Lab let me try a Ariston RD-80 and my jaw dropped when I heard it ! The Technics 1200 is a tank but the belt drives models sound better in the medium price range. A used Thorens or Dual can be a good bet as well.

Comment

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1535674..._home_active_9
                            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

look at goodwill shop sometimes you can find some used tt for cheap

i would recommnd belt drive tt over any cheap plastic direct drive

lsome used tt that come to mind, dual 505, throrens td124 td 166 etc,

Comment

Working...
                              X