No announcement yet.

Best value in planar or ribbon tweeter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best value in planar or ribbon tweeter?

I have never used a planar or ribbon tweeter. I am wondering what folks think is the best planar or ribbon out there for $100 or less. I listen to all types of music. Don't like bright or edgy sounding speakers. Have always liked SEAS and Scan-Speak domes.

Re: Best value in planar or ribbon tweeter?

Originally posted by dst View Post
    I have never used a planar or ribbon tweeter. I am wondering what folks think is the best planar or ribbon out there for $100 or less. I listen to all types of music. Don't like bright or edgy sounding speakers. Have always liked SEAS and Scan-Speak domes.
    The BEST planar tweeter for under $100 is the BG Neo3PDR, or if you want a larger driver the Neo8PDR makes the cut too (barely). These drivers have linearity and distortion characteristics that compare favorably to the best domes.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Has anyone measured or heard the buyout Peavey ribbon for $79?
      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

R-carpenter has posted measurements of the buyout ribbon.
        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Remember when the Neo 3 was $35?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
            The BEST planar tweeter for under $100 is the BG Neo3PDR,
            The only type of planar I have heard but I think it would be hard to beat. Can be crossed at 2khz and is very robust. I accidentally did some fairly loud full range sweeps through one and it still measured OK afterwards.

Comment

I agree, as far as planars go the neo3 is hard to beat for the price, the HiVi RT seires are nice, too. As for a ribbon these are on clearance:
              http://www.parts-express.com/aurum-c...eeter--276-434
              Those are nice tweeters for that price. The good thing about ribbons is if you mess it up its fairly cheep to repair, once a planar is done...well it's done.
              A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

I really like the Beston RT003C. Easy to work with, nice sound, good power handling. Having said that, I prefer the sound of a good Fountek or AC ribbon, but not many of those under $100. The Fountek NeoX2.0 is under $100 now, along with the AC 6thplanet mentioned, which I think both are value leaders for a true ribbon. In going to use the Fountek shortly. I still love the little Beston for its performance to price ratio though.
                Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
                Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
                Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
                Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
                Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                  I agree, as far as planars go the neo3 is hard to beat for the price, the HiVi RT seires are nice, too. As for a ribbon these are on clearance:
                  http://www.parts-express.com/aurum-c...eeter--276-434
                  Those are nice tweeters for that price. The good thing about ribbons is if you mess it up its fairly cheep to repair, once a planar is done...well it's done.
                  Maybe for a center channel, because there is only one left in stock ;)
                  Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Oh wow, yeah, guess people have been taking advantage of that sweet price! The Peavy units are still available, they're a nice piece, too.
                    A mains
                    The Ventures
                    Open Invit8tions
                    RSR
                    Sound Troopers
                    Acorns
                    DGBG's
                    The Monuments

Comment

Here's a peavey build, http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...t-quot-ribbon).
                      I like the Beston line for value.
                      Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                      DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                      Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

With your budget constraint, depends on the design you want to use it in but having used them I would have to suggest the Beston RT002A over the Beston RT003C or neo3

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post
                          Remember when the Neo 3 was $35?
                          Sorry, I don't remember them being THAT cheap. I know I got my 3PDRs with Meniscus faces for $55 each, and that was before the model swap.
                          It is possible that they were though...

Let's see.............
                          I've used:
                          Beston RT003C, $34.94. Good to 3K, 12dB elec minimum. Has 'its own' sweet sound. Brushed cymbals are fantastic, pretty sensitive at 95dB. Fairly articulate, flat response. Gem for its price. Closed back.

HiVi RT1.3(WE), $40. Good to 2.5k, LR4 acoustic minimum. Pristine, articulate, and immediate, good imaging clarity. I would call this dry but open and airy. Not a dull tweeter. 92dB, flat response. Closed back.

HiVi RT1C-A, $34. Good to ~4.5k, 12dB minimum elec. More delicate/light sounding than above with fantastic air and articulation, and 95dB. Needs contour tilt. Sweet. Closed back.

Visaton MHT12; Too costly. 12dB electrical/LR4 acoustic at 4.5k. Lushly open and airy, very clean and revealing. Needs notch at 4k for resonance.

BG Neo3PDR, $97. Good to 1.8kHz, 3rd electrical minimum. This is a fun one to use, and it can be picky. Mine had sssibilance, so a CR compensated the topend. One of the lesser sensitive models in this price class. These sound a bit dull compared to the others, but if sterile or benign sound is what you want- these do it. Open or closed. I like the RT1.3 more than these.

Airborne RT5002, $72.40. Good to about 3k, but hard to get there. 3.4k is a better bet, 12dB electrical minimum. 100dB sensitivity, and you'll need that level to flatten it out. Images very well, and is fairly well resolving/realistic. 'Leaky back design.' The right cap yields a wall to wall soundstage. I like these better than the BG, but not as well as the RT1.3. 1.3 is more dynamic sounding.

Airborne RT4101, $28. Good to about 6kHz, more often to be a super tweeter. 12dB minimum elec. Airy and light, but not much below that range. Open-back.

Beston RT002A-open-back, $97/pair. I haven't used these yet. The faceplate makes a buzzing noise against the metal inner-face, so I recommend removing the wave-face altogether unless you can seal it carefully. There are pass-channels for air to get behind the face through the magnet structure other than the open-back element design. Recommend sealing these.

Dayton PT2-A/SF YAG-20, same tweeter, Latest -C version is $49.98. The older model had a contour requiring tilt, but was otherwise flat. Multiples to 2.1k, singles to 2.3k BW4. The -B and -C versions need more care to flatten the response, as there is a peak before rolloff, and then a dip, and another peak to where it starts to gently tilt downward into the top octave. These require a sealed cavity. Do not use in same box volume as woofers.

I've listened to:
                          AC G2Si, just under $100, and a great bargain true ribbon. Used and heard in Salk Veracity.

Fountek NeoCD1.0, $52.80. Very nice and sweet, good to 4k. Used in Speedster and Cantilena.

Airborne RT4001, $59.18. Used in Spitfire. Not as resolving or dynamic as larger sibling, and kind of 'hard' sounding. That said, it sounds good. Likely good to about 3k.

I have not heard the Neo1X or NeoCD3.5H, but that is about all else that fit under the $100 mark.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'll add to Wolf's post, Fountek NeoCD3.0's which sell for $95. They're the ones Curt and I used in the Statements series speakers. They're commonly crossed in the 3.5K - 4K for best performance and low distortion. They're extremely smooth, articulate and have an open "airy" quality that I find to be very realistic.

Jim

Comment

The CSS RT2 is $100 out of Canada. I don't have the cabs built yet so no listening impressions, but have several here with the rest of the stack waiting.

They "seemed" excellent from quality / price ratio of the many I encountered while hunting. They're definitely heavy, so they're made with some good solid construction or filled with lead to give that impression!

Their factory FR spec seems outstanding (on paper) and they're recommended for 2.5kz using 3rd order.
                              Feel free to rip my assumptions apart when wrong, or fix if close.

Passive Radiators:
                              All PR(s) Vd must at-least double all woofer(s) Vd. Calc = Sd x Xmax to get Vd for all PR(s) and all woofer(s). If all PR(s) Vd at-least double all woofer(s) Vd they'll work.
                              For woofer(s) with large Xmax vs Sd, all PR(s) with Xmax at-least double all woofer(s) Xmax will work.
                              A PR max weight is said to be its Mms x3

PR Systems - tight focus with key parameters.
                              PR Speaker Design - thorough coverage.

Comment

Working...
                              X