Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight Sensation vs. Swope: Reduce BSC for on-wall mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Sensation vs. Swope: Reduce BSC for on-wall mounting?

First post here! I am looking for the right high-value design to build for a small bedroom wall-mount stereo system. No subs.

Forgive me if this has been covered before; I tried to search through the forums and Paul's site before posting.

The Overnight Sensation TM, Overnight Sensation MTM, and Swope TM are all on my short list. But I can't find good information on how much BSC is designed in the crossovers for those designs. Other than port location for ported designs, are they suitable for wall-mount without modification? If not, what components should be tweaked?

Related question, how shallow can I make the enclosures on these? Let's assume I keep the volume the same by making up the difference in height, and I find room for the port (slot or out the top/side/whatever)... Then how shallow before it becomes a problem? In a 6" deep enclosure, you could still fit thick foam behind the magnet of the woofer in both designs.

Final question...are there other obvious candidates that should be on my short list?

Thanks!

-- Cameron
    Last edited by cameronthorne; 10-17-2014, 12:33 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Overnight Sensation vs. Swope: Reduce BSC for on-wall mounting?

Originally posted by cameronthorne View Post
    ...Related question, how shallow can I make the enclosures on these?...
    In a 6" deep enclosure, you could still fit thick foam behind the magnet of the woofer in both designs...
    Cameron:
    Mine are mounted in a 5.5" deep enclosure and the interior walls were lined with cheap "rubber" backed area rugs ( from "Dollar" stores ) and the polyester pillow fill ( same source ) was used inside.
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
      Cameron:
      Mine are mounted in a 5.5" deep enclosure and the interior walls were lined with cheap "rubber" backed area rugs ( from "Dollar" stores ) and the polyester pillow fill ( same source ) was used inside.
      Nice! Did you make any changes to the crossover to reduce BSC?

-- Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by cameronthorne View Post
        Nice! Did you make any changes to the crossover to reduce BSC?

-- Cameron
        Just to be clear - I was offering a suggestion for an alternative to thick foam in a shallow cab.
        This is NOT the Overnight Sensation design, by rather an in-wall MTM of my own.
        No BSC ( not required ) and it uses active crossovers.
        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
        “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Paul, any chance you might notice my thread and chime in straight from the resident authority on these designs?

Comment

I just replied to your email. But basically, the Overnight Sensation TM and MTM have been wall mounted countless times, and seem to fare just fine. No changes are needed for this config.

Now, if the speakers were mounted INTO the wall, then changes would be necessary.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Thanks! That's good news!

-- Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                I just replied to your email. But basically, the Overnight Sensation TM and MTM have been wall mounted countless times, and seem to fare just fine. No changes are needed for this config.

Now, if the speakers were mounted INTO the wall, then changes would be necessary.

I was looking to do something similar here but actually build a shallow box, front port it and mount it into the wall. Paul, would you consider modifying the crossover to allow for this?

best regards,

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X