OT: And the lame shall walk . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: And the lame shall walk . . .

This is HUGE news. With all the ebola talk, how about something great instead?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...eering-surgery
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Re: OT: And the lame shall walk . . .

kickass! Hopefully this will make some big news and strides forward to help people lead normal lives.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I need to get my herniated disc fixed hopefully they make some improvements in that area as well.
      My Build Thread's
      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Huge indeed! That is fantastic. Hope for the millions of paralyzed people in this world.:applause:
        “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

What can you say other than, "Awesome!"
          SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
          Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
          SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
          SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

I just hope that someone else can replicate this experiment and give hope to the folks with spinal cord injuries. Did you hear about the scientist who is facing major jail time for spiking the blood serum of test mice with human antibodies in his quest to develop an AIDS vaccine?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/aids-res...lsifying-data/
            Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
            ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
            LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
            Sonata Soundbar Project
            The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

That's awesome. I do hope this proves to be a valid treatment. Spinal injuries are terrifying.

Puts me in mind of Extreme Measures

That's crazy about the falsified AIDS research findings

Comment

Finding a treatment for central nervous system injuries, strokes, MS etc. will be a wonderful help to so many.

Comment

Heard they were working on something new.
                  Had a friend, was in a bad car accident, spent the past 38 years in a wheel chair.
                  Died this past summer. Lived a lot longer then the Docs said he would.
                  Would have been cool if he could have lived long enough to have a shot at walking again.

Comment

I really hope this is true, but have serious doubts. China is leading the way in spinal cord repair. they do not test on animals for an extended period like the rest of the world does. they have a large number of human volunteers for most new procedures. speeds up the process exponentially. china is about 10 years more advanced in neuro issues compared to the rest of the world. this would be a great thing if it is true though.
                    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens
                      Mike,
                      Which disc needs repaired? I had two discs removed and the vertebrae fused: C5-6, C6-7. I would do it again without hesitation. It was 100% successful.
                      Mike
                      It's the lowest disc in my lumbar, I forgot what # it is. Wish I had the MRI files, seems like i just wasted a bunch of money for the doctor to tell me my lower back hurts.
                      My Build Thread's
                      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

I'm very thankful that my bad ones were cervical instead of lumbar. I hope you can get things fixed without to much discomfort. Any way to build up the muscles around the area to help take the pressure off the discs?
                        Mike
                        I stopped riding motocross a year after the injury. Went to chiropractor for 2.5 years and get massages now sort of regularly to help stay loose. If i get it irritated all the lower back muscles tense and pull to the right so my whole right side super tight. I'll probably have to do something about it at some point but the chiro and massages have gotten me from shooting pains doing stuff like washing my face and putting on socks and brushing my teeth to just feeling a little sore most of the time. I really should do some core training I lost alot of strength without a physical activity as a hobby.

They just removed the entire disc? I've heard about shaving, replacing and lasering off the portions that are touching nerves but not total removal. My doc said he could do a shot but I didn't take it. I don't want to pretend it's better whiles it's not and end up worse off.
                        My Build Thread's

Comment

it is much easier to fix disc higher in the back. they do not have to support the weight the lower disc do, and the geometry of out bodies is much less complex the higher up the back you go. L4-5 and S1-2 are just in a bad place. there is not a lot you can do unfortunately. one of the best things is to not become over weight. this is the area of the back that helps compensate when it comes to weight and keeping your center of gravity were it needs to be when standing or while in a gaited motion.
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

A physical therapist might be able to show you exercises to build strength in the area.
                            I was very skeptical of physical therapy because it seemed 'too good to be true'. However, it's served me pretty well on 2 occasions now, one instance being for chronic lower back pain. The downside is that it's a lot of work and you have to keep up the routine to retain benefit. I quit and started having problems again some months later. More recently I started another exercise routine that seems to have helped my back in an oblique sort of way - which was not intended or expected, but I certainly welcome it.

Comment

That's amazing and spiritually uplifting. One thing though: They used olfactory cells to fill the gap so he can walk again. I wonder if this makes his feet smell.
                              "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                              ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Working...
                              X