Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

    I am wanting to put together a set of Finalists with a Center Channel. I do not have the tools to do so on my own and was hoping I could commission a woodworker to cut the flats for me. Is there anyone out there interested?

    Thank you,
    Sachmo

  • #2
    Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

    Can ship if no one local.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

      I've built cabinets for several people throughout the US and have also helped outsource a few builds. If you are not wanting to ship cabinets, I suggest these options...

      1) Find a local kitchen cabinet maker. If it's a side job for them (paid in cash) they will likely give you a good deal and excellent finish
      2) Look at local community colleges for access to a workshop. Some will let you take a wood working class that essentially gives you access to their pro grade tools. You would build the cabinets, but with some direction of a professor.
      3) Local High Schools. One guy found a high school shop class and a kid built the cabinets for him and then displayed the completed speakers as his final project.

      Just some ideas for you in case you have no luck finding someone in your area.
      My Home Theater Build thread
      My DIY Speaker builds

      My Gear:
      Emotiva XMC-1
      Emotiva XPR-2
      Emotiva XPA-5
      Clearwave Dynamics 4T and 4CC (mains)
      Paradigm Millennia LP (surrounds)
      Oppo 103D
      Mede8er 600X3D w/ 4TB
      Marantz CD-5004
      AppleTV
      JVC RS-4910 Projector
      100" Screen Innovations Pure Gray Screen w/ LED kit
      APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (x2)
      iRule controlling it all....

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

        I could CNC a flat pack if you are willing to have them shipped also.
        Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

          Thanks Joeybutts. It looks like a have something worked out with Melby Audio. I do appreciate the offer!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

            Hi Deewan,

            Not sure if you were offering to make them or not. I have looked at all the builds of yours I have come across with much admiration and envy! Having the parts CNC'd was too tempting. I'll keep your suggestions in mind in particular taking community college class. Might be a way to get my to buy into a home workshop.

            Thanks, again.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

              Well my Finalists are mostly done. I want to give a shout out to Weston at Melby Audio. He was very professional to work with and very attentive to detail and delivery time. His flatpacks impeccable and were easy to put together.

              I have the speakers running although I have not soldered the connections yet and everything is just finger tight. The sound quality is very nice. I am disappointed (so far) in the SPL. I am waiting top pursue this issue until I have the speakers veneered and properly connected.

              It was a mistake to get this point and listen to them as I do not want to unhook and finish them.
              Last edited by sachmo; 12-12-2014, 12:13 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

                what's wrong with the SPL? they filled up the auditorium at IOWA beautifully... How loud / large room are you looking to fill?

                Not having the box airtight can cause issues - glue the joints and preferable use clamps. After the glue is dry, run a thick bead of silicone sealer or bathtub sealer if you don't like the smell of silicone around the inside of the cabinet on all joints - this should give you a pretty good air tight seal and use rubber gaskets / speaker take around the drivers and port. If you have already done these, than you should have gone for the full blown statements - no SPL Complaints there :D

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

                  Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                  what's wrong with the SPL? they filled up the auditorium at IOWA beautifully... How loud / large room are you looking to fill?

                  Not having the box airtight can cause issues - glue the joints and preferable use clamps. After the glue is dry, run a thick bead of silicone sealer or bathtub sealer if you don't like the smell of silicone around the inside of the cabinet on all joints - this should give you a pretty good air tight seal and use rubber gaskets / speaker take around the drivers and port. If you have already done these, than you should have gone for the full blown statements - no SPL Complaints there :D

                  The room isn't big, it is 13x15 ft. I am powering them with a Marantz SR7009. I have to run them at reference to be even close to a loudness that I am happy with. Which isn't as loud as I would run my Onkyo HTIB speakers they replaced.

                  No gaps in the speakers so I am not sure what is up. I have not used rubber gaskets on any of the drivers nor ports but I will add them once the cabinets are veneered.

                  Sachmo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

                    I'd suggest you check the crossovers. The Finalists have been tested up to 110 db which is crazy loud. That is not sustained volume, BTW. They should easily handle sustained volume of 90 - 100 db which is loud enough to cause hearing problems if listened to for long periods of time.

                    Did you assemble the crossovers and have you checked polarity?

                    Jim

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

                      Originally posted by sachmo View Post
                      I have the speakers running although I have not soldered the connections yet and everything is just finger tight.
                      Hmm...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

                        Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                        I'd suggest you check the crossovers. The Finalists have been tested up to 110 db which is crazy loud. That is not sustained volume, BTW. They should easily handle sustained volume of 90 - 100 db which is loud enough to cause hearing problems if listened to for long periods of time.

                        Did you assemble the crossovers and have you checked polarity?

                        Jim
                        Please disregard my concerns over SPL. I may have had a setting wrong on the receiver. After experimenting with different settings on the receiver, they play plenty loud now! :o

                        I may have had a volume limiter set. Now I can't bring myself to push them as hard as they and the receiver will go.

                        Thanks to all of you for your time and input!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

                          Originally posted by sachmo View Post
                          Please disregard my concerns over SPL. I may have had a setting wrong on the receiver. After experimenting with different settings on the receiver, they play plenty loud now! :o

                          I may have had a volume limiter set. Now I can't bring myself to push them as hard as they and the receiver will go.

                          Thanks to all of you for your time and input!
                          That's great news! I'm glad it was corrected that easily. Enjoy your Finalists!

                          Jim

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Need woodworker in No. California for a Finalists Build

                            Thanks for the shout out, happy to hear that they worked well for you. You will have to post pics when you get them veneered!
                            Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X