Coming soon... Cabrini Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming soon... Cabrini Redux

Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: Coming soon... Cabrini Redux

What are you stuffing the holes with Johnny?

Comment

GRS drivers. Johnny I mentioned these to a friend after hearing the Cabrinis. I do believe we will be building a pair of the redux for him.
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Look forward to seeing more!
        Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
        Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Well.... Drivers were supposed to be here yesterday but are probably going to be here tomorrow. I was hoping to get in-box by now.

Anyways...

Woofer is the Cabrini woofer, of course, and the tweeter is the GRS dome that looks remarkably like the Goldwood -510. The cabinet is the PE 0.56 flat pack. I am hoping the GRS is actually a close (or even rebadged) match with the Goldwood since it is the only GW dome worth messing with - at least from an on-axis FR standpoint.

Will be having another D-Tex party up in here tomorrow. Doing these, and a passive subwoofer based on the Dayton 8" DVC. That is for another guy, but I will probably throw some pics up since it is actually meant to compliment the Tasha build. 28Hz F3 is nothing to sneeze at... plus, if used vertically it matches the height of the PE 0.56 flat packs... No accident. I think it would also complement this build very well, so I built some visual cues into it to match the Cabrini cabinet.

OK guys, another thing to note: this uses the same cabinet as the little 3-way I recently posted, and that is no accident either. I imagined an ambitious builder converting the baffle on a single kit to the removable type and be able to switch around between the two designs. I also have some plans using the 4.5" Pioneer knockoff - possibly in an MTM with the little tweeter.

This has been fun, digging back into my "roots", as it were. Lots of potential in the GRS line, and of course they are never going to be used as a replacement by Revel - but the price point makes it a fun experience using them, with minimal impact on the wallet. These are great learning projects for newbies.

Have a good night, guys!

Comment

Having a Duratex party... Passive subwoofer on the left. No idea what happened to the picture that was supposed to be here - so here is a different one. Not an unattractive looking speaker by any means.

Last edited by johnnyrichards; 11-08-2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Some squigglies...

Raw drivers in-box. Ignore the drop off up top - that is an artifact of a recent equipment swap here.

A simple five component crossover (single coil on woofer, two resistors and a 2nd order on the tweeter - MartyH challenged me to do it with five) yields this:

...and a big surprise to me is the distortion measurement:

That is SPL accurate at 30", just saying. The rooms starts kicking some a$$ below 500, so ignore that stuff.

Comment

Great job as always Johnny! Also nice to see you again and meet Amanda in Iowa. Keep up the great work.
                Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

That non-linear distortion measurement is impressive, esp. so for the price point. Looks great!
                  Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                  Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Great work! I knew you'd figure a way to do it with five pieces, but I figured it would be a cap and l-pad on the tweeter and inductor/cap on the woofer. Well done, sir!

Comment

I'm very impressed with the results from the budget-priced pieces. I would have never thought the GRS tweeter could do so well. I never imagined you'd get this result from a 5 piece XO with a 1st order on the mid-woofer. You have some magic dust up your sleeve!

Comment

Check here for updated crossover and measurements: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...52#post2025552

Comment

Working...
                        X