Midrange driver suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midrange driver suggestions?

From a subjective perspective as what you've heard and sounds great.....looking for a driver that can do 250hz to 3.5khz with 95db 1w1m efficiency in a classic tower design above a 15" woofer and below a ribbon tweeter. Plenty of product out there, just haven't heard enough examples except for B&C 6Md and 6Pev.

Re: Midrange driver suggestions?

The 6md38 is a horrid wretched device. Truly nasty. Faital has nice sounding speakers.

Comment

I know you want opinions based on experience, but I hope you don't mind me giving an opinion based on what I've read in Voice Coil magazine....

http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php...m_cone_drivers

BMS makes EXCELLENT quality products. They are not cheap, based on what I've shopped for, though. That said, I kind of equate them to the Scan Speak of pro audio, where the engineering seems really top notch and their specs actually check out well in objective testing. Voice Coil magazine has had a few of their products over the past few years that I've been a subscriber and I've always been impressed by them. They had a 15" woofer that clocked in at about 13mm one-way linear (klippel verified) that really changed my perception of the 'pro audio' genre of speakers. (based on my limited experience, 13mm one-way linear xmax is quite good in the pro audio realm).

I've eyed their products a few times in the past but just haven't had a personal use for them... yet. ;)
      ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
        I know you want opinions based on experience, but I hope you don't mind me giving an opinion based on what I've read in Voice Coil magazine....

http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php...m_cone_drivers

BMS makes EXCELLENT quality products. They are not cheap, based on what I've shopped for, though. That said, I kind of equate them to the Scan Speak of pro audio, where the engineering seems really top notch and their specs actually check out well in objective testing. Voice Coil magazine has had a few of their products over the past few years that I've been a subscriber and I've always been impressed by them. They had a 15" woofer that clocked in at about 13mm one-way linear (klippel verified) that really changed my perception of the 'pro audio' genre of speakers. (based on my limited experience, 13mm one-way linear xmax is quite good in the pro audio realm).

I've eyed their products a few times in the past but just haven't had a personal use for them... yet. ;)
        Erin,
        Thanks for the tip--the BMS line looks interesting and unlike some of the unobtanium high end pro sound drivers, distributed out of my old haunt: SLC, UT.

Comment

I've heard similiar praise for BMS and PHL as well.

Not so sure where the 6md38 bashing comes from, it's an excellent driver and I've used it several times.......smooth response with no harsh breakup.

Comment

6MD38 looks real nice to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6MD38-8-FR.gif
Views:	1
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1162090

Name:	6MD38-8-HD.gif
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1162091
            I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
              Not so sure where the 6md38 bashing comes from,
              Probably from a bad crossover, or by putting it in too small (or underdamped) sub-enclosure. Either can turn a really nice midrange into something straight out of Hell. I've had nothing but good results from the B&C's larger 8" brother, and similar 8" and 6" Faitals - but only after wrestling with the old Focal 7k2 for two years figuring out how to make a stiff cone midrange work properly.

Comment

B&W FST.
                Can't do 250hz but 350 is fine. 94dB.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51686[/ATTACH]

Name:	b&w-fst-lf00264-hd.gif
Views:	2
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1162094
                "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

some of the Fostex drivers can sound very good used a mids, and the mid 90 db thing applies to most of the drivers they make.
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                    some of the Fostex drivers can sound very good used a mids, and the mid 90 db thing applies to most of the drivers they make.
                    Interesting angle Craig. And usually the off axis response is better than dedicated mids from specially engineered dust caps and cone shape. The B&C also has excellent off axis response.....pretty even dispersion up to 3.5khz. I assume it's the curvilinear cone profile. I want to try something different this time and a Fostex might just be the ticket.......but I'd LOVE to see some measurememts or listening impressions of the PHL too.

Comment

JA-8008 HMQ

95dB/2,8V

http://www.jantzen-audio.com/wp-cont...duct-Sheet.pdf
                      "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Hello Mayhem,

A little while back, Jeff Bagby wrote that the Dayton Audio PM180-8 6-1/2" midrange driver was one of the lowest-distortion midranges he had ever tested, particularly in the frequency range of interest. Sensitivity is 94.7 dB. If 95 dB sensitivity is a must, the 8" PM220-8 model has that, plus a lower Fs. Vapor Sound is using the PM180-8 in their Derecho speaker; I had the chance to hear it at AXPONA and it sounded really excellent - extremely dynamic and a perfect match to the Raal ribbon tweeter up top. Ryan Scott told me that the PM180-8 was like a paper version of the Accuton midrange drivers he likes so well. These midrange/midbass drivers were conceived in a similar vein as the Seas Exotic W8, and they have similar behavior, with an easily controlled rising top end due to low inductance.

What 15" woofer are you using, or has that been decided?
                        Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
                        Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRS View Post
                          Erin,
                          Thanks for the tip--the BMS line looks interesting and unlike some of the unobtanium high end pro sound drivers, distributed out of my old haunt: SLC, UT.
                          I actually was looking for pricing on some of their coaxial drivers but my google results just show me foreign sales. Do you have info for the dealing in SLC? For that matter, does anyone know of a seller in the US for BMS besides this one:
                          http://www.assistanceaudio.com/assis...audio_bms.html
                          ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

I've purchased from Assistance Audio, no worries there.
                            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I was just looking for other options. Price wise.
                              ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Working...
                              X