Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17, all of my possessions were stolen, and now i am in need of (speaker) help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17, all of my possessions were stolen, and now i am in need of (speaker) help

I arrived at the Victory theater (Sav, GA) to see Interstellar at 3:30 PM Eastern time, and when i returned at 6:20 PM, i was delighted to find some kind gentle soul had relished me of my Incriminator 10.1 Amplifier ($400), my JVC 840BT Radio ($200), and my macbook pro ($1000) (along with some other choice possessions like my ipod and lcd screen calculator). They were also kind enough to pop not one, but two, of my doors with a crowbar, rendering them both unusable.

The bad news is i'm 17 and bought all of that with my hard earned money. The good news is insurance might cover it and i get to do a new system. I am shooting for sound quality, and am going to get a pioneer deh80prs to act as an active 3 way crossover for whatever speakers i choose. Thankfully, my subwoofers are too large to steal. I have 2 soundqubed HDC318's in a 12.5cuf box tuned to 28 hertz. I may get something smaller later, but for now i am concerned with fabricating a detailed mids and highs setup.

I am looking at the morel mdt39 tweeter, and am considering possibilities for a woofer. I have a 99' 4 door tahoe, and the stock woofer size is 6.5. Morel makes a few woofers i was looking at (although they are about 3 times as expensive as the tweeter). Basically, i want it to sound as good as possible, staying within reasonable prices.

I noted the morel TiW 638Ft has a ridiculously smooth response with pretty much no peaks until it drops off around 5k. Would i be alright ordering that woofer, and the mdt39 tweeter, and then just running them off of the 80prs's crossover, somewhere around 2k 12db/oct?

Also, on zobel to correct the impedance curve of the woofer, is it okay to use non-polarized electrolytics, or do i need to use maximum quality components since i am using such expensive speakers? Are there any other corrections i need to make before running them active over the 80prs?

Any recommendations for different speakers are highly welcomed. Thank you all for your help

Re: I'm 17, all of my possessions were stolen, and now i am in need of (speaker) help

No need for Zobels when running active. The "impedance rise" can really be a deterrent to having a passive filter worked "as imagined", but does not have that effect on an active system. I think (esp. as a 17 y.o.) you can probably find some better value woofers than morel w/out compromising SQ.

Comment

Re: I'm 17, all of my possessions were stolen, and now i am in need of (speaker) help

Get these, but hurry, they only have 2 left... :eek:

Morel Supremo 602 Component Speaker System
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

That may be a little pricy, but at least you save on the shipping.;)
        “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

So how was the movie? Sorry for your loss.

Comment

When I was 17 I didn't have a cell phone nor laptop computer (they didn't exist) nor much of anything else. My car audio system consisted of a cheap in-dash AM/FM cassette player with mechanical tuner and a cheap Jensen "booster" amp feeding some crappy 6x9" Jensen coaxials with water damage.

Kids today have it far too good. :D

I'm sorry to read about your loss though and hope you catch the SOB.
            "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              So how was the movie? Sorry for your loss.
              x2. All joking aside, I've been there. I had someone break into my Tahoe quite a few years back. It was my own fault, I forgot to lock it. I think out of everything they took, my cd collection was probably the most valuable and ins won't cover that . Truly crappy thing is that I'm sure they all ended up in the trash, I know some thug isn't going to play 80% of what I had in there. Right after that I got an iPod, then took a crash course in how easy it is to throw money away at iTunes if you like sound quality :o
              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
              "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

x2. All joking aside, I've been there. I had someone break into my Tahoe quite a few years back.
                You know it's not really your fault right. Maybe you could have done more to prevent it, but that's not your fault. Victim blaming is never useful. ;)

Comment

Damn! JUST out of my price range. ;)

Comment

With all due respect, save your money for tuition, then get the heck out of GA. I worked like a SOB as a kid but couldn't have bought the EMBLEM off your Tahoe at 17. But I wouldn't trade with you for anything. Sorry for the hijack, but I just couldn't resist.

Comment

Silver Flute W17RC35-4. $30 each, and youll want a tweeter that can cross a little lower as these have some nasty breakup above ~2khz.

Or, if you can swing a little more cash, the Eclipse W6520 from Meniscus sounds awfully good for just at double the price of the Silver Flute.

Both reasonably priced options that you would likely be more than happy with.

Comment

My entire vehicle was stolen recently so I am also looking to replace some of the audio stuff on a budget. Doing a google search for "NVX active components $259.99" will show you what I'm leaning towards. The woofer and tweeter are actually just re-branded SB Audio drivers. The tweeters are available for $100/pair shipped with grills and tweeter cups, which is actually $20+shipping cheaper than buying the identical SB driver (SB29RDCN).

A good thing about that set is that they are available without a passive crossover so you won't be wasting any money on parts you won't use while running active.

Comment

Working...
                        X