Online Crossover Design Class??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Crossover Design Class??

I have looked around and not stumbled across any courses to accellerate the learning curve of crossover design. Is someone offering an online class or instructional dvd? I can't be one of the only ones new to this hobby that would gladly pay to learn some of the "in's and out's" of crossover design. I have read speaker building 201 several times and each time I understand just a little bit more than the last. It seems very daunting to a newcomer, I would compare it to engine building. Any one can change a battery, or change the oil on a motor, but to rebuild a motor from scratch for the first time with nothing more than book references, Good Luck! Odds are, the motor isnt going to fire right off on the first try.

If someone put a class together, it could begin by explaining the different test equipment required. Again similar to an engine builder, without the right tools, dont count on success. The course could then start you off with the most basic 2 way crossover and progress later to the more complex crossover designs that would include notch filters, diffraction loss, impedence equalization, etc.

Maybe I just missed it and one of you gentlemen could point me in the right direction, if not, it seems to me someone is missing out on a heck of a lot of supplimental income by not putting this together.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Re: Online Crossover Design Class??

The thing is- there is an actual 'art' to it. To try and have a course for learning something that is not very intuitive as this is, would be very long and hard in terms of study. Especially if you get into the math portion alone, you're looking at calculus, and multivariate at that. Physics, acoustics (being a graduate course), woodworking and finishing, electrical knowledge and how the circuits work, combined with a trained ear- yes, this takes a lot of time if you want to fully grasp the entire scope of speaker and xover design.

There just is not a fully-encompassing course that can teach you what you want to know.

That said- you can hang around here, ask questions for about 3 years and learn on your own. We've been known to help newbies for quite a while amidst the more knowledgeable members here.

Welcome aboard,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      We've been known to help newbies for quite a while...

Wolf
      And we're here to help you. You're welcome, Junior! :D

Comment

It's been awhile since I could claim newbie. Madisound board days. This community has always been beyond helpful. A place where friends are made.

I think any course, online of in person, would need to be interactive to really be useful. That would be hard to do with large numbers of people participating online.

Dive in.

Comment

as a noob trying to do his first network i can attest to all the help and resources here on the forum . i've reached out to a few people here for help and have never been turned away and to all those , Thank You ! as for me i learn better by just getting in there and doing it and by making mistakes then learning from them ...
          Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

How many of you guys are actually doing multivariable calc when designing crossovers?

I thought the drill was: Measure, import data, optimize (in software), build modeled crossover, listen, refine?

Comment

One of the many nice things about this board, in addition to all the talent, is how friendly and willing to help the people are. There are certainly other forums out there where the members view new people as a burden and are quick to tell you how they feel. Apparently they were born knowing everything.. must be nice :rolleyes:

Comment

[QUOTE=philthien;2027958]How many of you guys are actually doing multivariable calc when designing crossovers?
                QUOTE]

I am! With a little help (100% of it) from PCD 7... :D

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                  How many of you guys are actually doing multivariable calc when designing crossovers?
                  I use to, but god, thank you for the simulators~~~! Saves sooooo much time.
                  http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Thanks to all for the prompt response. So where do I start as far as equipment and software? The Dayton DATS V2 is finally available again and from what I have read on the forum so far I would think this would be one of the required pieces of equipment. And following that the Dayton Omni Mic? Any other equipment needed? It seems Jeff Bagby's excel software is very popular, is this the best software for a beginner?
                    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                    The Archers
                    The Gandalf's

Comment

The thing is, you can teach yourself for FREE. The most commonly used XO software is J.Bagby's "PCD7" (?). Find a 2-way "proven" design that's got .frd/.zma files available for the drivers, plug them in, and try to duplicate the "sim" for that project.

Then try just putting a cap & coil on the tweeter & midbass (as many newbies want to do) and you'll see how bad the results can be before spending a nickel on any drivers or XO parts.

Comment

Thanks for the input and the links. You stated you are taking your own measurements to create the .frd and .zma files now, what equipment are you using?
                        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        The Archers
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post

I thought the drill was: Measure, import data, optimize (in software), build modeled crossover, listen, refine?
                          Yeah, there's a technophobic aspect that I don't quite get. I am always amazed at how few diy speaker building videos there are (I mean good ones) and for sure some of the basics you mention can certainly be done. Personally my long term goal once I'm settled here in MN is to make some videos myself, even if I don't know all that much. I'm a visual learner and I'm sure there are lots of other folks who would benefit.

Comment

Everyone here pretty much nailed it. There's no "right way" to begin, but I think there are definitely different instructional events that can help you better understand. For instance Jeff B hosted a "Loudspeaker Design Seminar" in Kokomo IN. Not sure if he plans on another, and I was out of town when that one was held, but I would definitely be interested if there were another. Here's a link to the discussion from that seminar...
                            http://www.diyspeakerforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54

There's also the Omnimic section here but that doesn't seem to get much traffic. Also, Questions and discussion about the Windows version of PCD can be found here...
                            http://www.diyspeakerforum.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Good luck. As long as you keep in mind that it is science, and it does work (there is no magic involved) you'll excel. I only say that because I need to be reminded of that myself when I'm struggling to figure something out! Perseverance pays off

One other thing I did that has come in handy was purchased the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. First time I tried to read it I thought it may as well be written in Greek, but the further I go and the more I go back to that book, the more I begin to understand.

One more thing... I got involved with building home audio speakers about 5 or 6 years ago, and I started designing my own only about a year ago. I agree that it can be frustrating, a lot of times it seems like people are speaking in riddles. It's difficult to sort what truly matters from what doesn't necessarily matter much, but the further you go, the easier that gets.
                            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Didn't jonny rich have a video up at one time? Also I think there's a demo for DRL's x over lite, right?
                              A mains
                              The Ventures
                              Open Invit8tions
                              RSR
                              Sound Troopers
                              Acorns
                              DGBG's
                              The Monuments

Comment

Working...
                              X