New gadget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gadget.

After selling much things, I purchased a new toy - an honest to goodness LCR meter.

Street prices are under $100 shipped from Japan (mine came with a nice, Engrish handwritten note as well as two pieces of Origami lol).

I have measured a ton of components with it already, and it is spot on. Fast, as well.

It will measure at 100kHz, as well. That used to be the domain of much more expensive meters.

Apparently it also measures Dissipation factor, Q, phase angle, ESR, serial or parallel capacitance, serial or parallel resistance, serial or parallel inductance. All good things to know, I guess.

It uses a four wire measurement, apparently that results in much more accurate results.

While I do not expect WT3/DATS owners to run out and buy one of these, I do believe it is a serious upgrade to that device.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: New gadget.

Really?!?!? Free origami?
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Hey Johnny, I have that same exact unit. I bought it with all of the nice attachments. Mine also came with a note and the paper crane still sits in my car lol. I really is a nice unit. I'm having trouble measuring capacitors over 2000 uF. I measured on at 2000 and one at 15,000 and both are measuring open and I know with my other cap meter I need to change something if I measure more than 2000 uF. It's been a little while since I have played with it but I recently started a restore on a couple of older pieces of kenwood gear which include recaps. I went to measure one of the filter caps (15k) and it measured open. Then a 2000 uF one that measured open and one that measured at 1980 or so. Anything smaller is fine. Anyway, frustrated me and I put it away but didn't think to check if I needed to switch anything.

Haha off rant. Sweet piece and you'll love it the more you use it.

Dan

Comment

Nice way to treat yourself Johnny! The origami sounds like a nice touch, like Meniscus' candy with the crossover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

It uses a four wire measurement...

Worthwhile feature, that.

See brief article at link below.

http://www.edn.com/design/test-and-m...e-measurements
          "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
          of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
          - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
          A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
          (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

4 wire is Kelvin measurement. Far more accurate for resistances under 1K or so. Thats a good deal.

Comment

What exactly can you do with the LCR meter, and is it supposed to be used alongwith the DATS or it is supposed to replace it?

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                What exactly can you do with the LCR meter, and is it supposed to be used alongwith the DATS or it is supposed to replace it?
                It will do everything the DATS will do except T/S and impedance measurement. You can measure all your parts with it- which CAN be off from spec.
                Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  It will do everything the DATS will do except T/S and impedance measurement. You can measure all your parts with it- which CAN be off from spec.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  Thanks, I was wondering about the impedance sweep and didn't find it in the description. So, this will give a quick and (better / more accurate?) reading for all the components - Caps, inductors, resistors, and to be used alongwith the DATS system for the impedance and T/S parameters.

Comment

Haha I forgot to change testing frequency. Make sure you change that before testing larger caps. I'm sure you don't need to be told though.

Even though I have this is still like DATS some day.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X