replied
    Re: My first 3 way speaker build

Don't mess it up! I REALLY liked them.

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    You hit a home run brother. In my top 5! Smoothest Bass OF THE DAY. IMHO.
    Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
    A pure gem!
    Thanks, that honestly means a lot guys!!

Originally posted by Sootboots View Post
    Will you be sharing the crossover design? My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

Jp
    Eventually yes, but I'll wait until I'm 100% done with the build just to make sure nothing else is going to change. I think I'm there now as far as the xover goes, but I have just a couple small things I'd like to play with first.

Leave a comment:

• Sootboots
    replied

Will you be sharing the crossover design? My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

Jp

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied

A pure gem!

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

You hit a home run brother. In my top 5! Smoothest Bass OF THE DAY. IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied

Update:.....

The Transducer Labs N26MG is purely and absolutely an amazing tweeter :D. I honestly can't say enough good about this tweeter. While it took me a while to get the xover right, swapping the HDS for this was the equivalent to hitting the ball straight out of the park and over the fence with the bases loaded!! I'm not putting the HDS down, I actually enjoyed what I had before and would've been fine leaving it alone, but curiosity got the best of me and I had to go for it and swap the tweeter.

These will be at Iowa in a few weeks too. I REALLY need to thank Craig Kinnison on this, he steered me in both driver selection, and also hung in there while we both discussed different crossover possibilities. Craig, you sure do know your drivers .

The other end of this that's so nifty (yes, nifty :p), is how much I learned through this build. This is the first xover I did 100%, all by my lonesome. I measured, imported, simmed, designed, and voiced the entire thing!! So a huge shout out to all on this forum that have helped me to finally begin to figure this out (you all know who you are)!! I'll also say that learning on a 3 way probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but in the end I'm SUPER glad I did because I learned an incredible amount through these.

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied

Been a while and for SB Acoustic's sake I wanted to update... The SB Acoustics SB29NRX-6 is a phenomenal woofer :D; my anemic bass was related to having the port too long.

I built a 2 cubic foot (internal) cabinet, and used a 3" diameter Precision Port, with a flare at each end. There was some gray area as to just exactly how I should add or subtract from port length to compensate for the flares, so I just added an inch for the flares to the overall length. Madisound called for a 12" port for a f3 of 28Hz, and modeling with WinISD shows a 12" port tuned to 26Hz gives f3 of 27Hz; I made mine 13" end to end. As stated here, my bass was very anemic; it was good bass, just not loud enough. I cut my port down to roughly 7" and only had the flare on the outside, no longer a flare on the inside, and WOW what a difference!!

At this point I have this build sounding very good, but not quite where I want it. I'm going to swap the HDS tweeter for a Transducer Labs. The HDS is a nice tweeter, but its a tad heavy for me on the top. The vocals seem a tad hissy if I make it loud enough, and if I tame it enough to pull the hiss out of the vocals it's too stifled. I'll report back once I get that going.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    The bold above is not entirely true. If you have a resistor and cap in series in a standard 12dB electrical network, then the cap and resistor are series components, and position makes no difference in terms of operation. Wired either way, the resistor will not see the entire bandwidth due to the cap in junction with it, and that the sound going through is AC.

Now- if you have the parallel resistor out front as well, positioned after the series resistor, and before the entire network, then the resistors will see the entire bandwidth of the audio signal.

Sandcast resistors are capable of full rating without a heatsink. Heatsinks can improve any thermally-coupled resistor's capacity though. Panel-mount units; such as the Arcol, Dale, Zisters, etc; derate without a heatsink applied. For example, a 25W panel-mount Dale is truly 10W without a heatsink attached.

Later,
    Wolf
    You are right Ben. My wording was off. I was referring to the HP filter on the mid.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    About any mid is going to need to be padded imo. Once you apply the filters, you will get a band pass gain to some degree. If you place the resistor after the initial cap, you also greatly reduce the amount of energy the resistor sees. If you really do need a resistor before, amazon has 100w units available at very reasonable prices. In order to get the full wattage rating of any resistor, it really needs to be mounted to a heart sink.
    The bold above is not entirely true. If you have a resistor and cap in series in a standard 12dB electrical network, then the cap and resistor are series components, and position makes no difference in terms of operation. Wired either way, the resistor will not see the entire bandwidth due to the cap in junction with it, and that the sound going through is AC.

Now- if you have the parallel resistor out front as well, positioned after the series resistor, and before the entire network, then the resistors will see the entire bandwidth of the audio signal.

Sandcast resistors are capable of full rating without a heatsink. Heatsinks can improve any thermally-coupled resistor's capacity though. Panel-mount units; such as the Arcol, Dale, Zisters, etc; derate without a heatsink applied. For example, a 25W panel-mount Dale is truly 10W without a heatsink attached.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

The zistors are great pieces. Overkill for many builds yes, but the size of them, plus the heavy duty leads make them worth their price and even that is not extreme m

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    About any mid is going to need to be padded imo. Once you apply the filters, you will get a band pass gain to some degree. If you place the resistor after the initial cap, you also greatly reduce the amount of energy the resistor sees. If you really do need a resistor before, amazon has 100w units available at very reasonable prices. In order to get the full wattage rating of any resistor, it really needs to be mounted to a heart sink.
    Yes, there is 11 ohms of resistance in the Statements mids (not counting shunt), and 10 ohms in the tweeter (per crossover). I have 9 on the tweeter and 5 on the mid in mine. Not as bad as I thought. I have 50 watt 2 ohm resistors in the woofer shunt and that gets a little warm if I'm whaling on them, I will get some 100 watt ones for that. I like those aluminum zistor resistors from Meniscus, those are 25 watts and once I have this ready to solder I'll get those for the mid and tweeter in the final assembly.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Originally posted by mattk View Post
    Yes, there was even a thread a while back about resistors burning out (in a Statement, iirc). I keep playing around with a three-way design that would require me to pad the mid with 4 ohms, and if I do end up building it I'll be using multiple resistors to achieve the 4 ohms rather than a single, and might even heat sink them. I'm still trying to find a mid that fits the rest of my requirements but doesn't need to be padded.

Leave a comment:

• mattk
    replied

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    That's good. I couldn't tell from the description the exact nature of the changes. I also underlined nothing to include resistors in the passive crossover as they can get HOT.
    Yes, there was even a thread a while back about resistors burning out (in a Statement, iirc). I keep playing around with a three-way design that would require me to pad the mid with 4 ohms, and if I do end up building it I'll be using multiple resistors to achieve the 4 ohms rather than a single, and might even heat sink them. I'm still trying to find a mid that fits the rest of my requirements but doesn't need to be padded.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
    Not abnormally. Those Adcom amps are tough to monitor though because just sitting idle with the power on the thing gets pretty hot anyhow. It does have thermal protection, and "distortion" LEDs. But it isn't doing anything out of the ordinary, and I ran it pretty hard last night
    That's good. I couldn't tell from the description the exact nature of the changes. I also underlined nothing to include resistors in the passive crossover as they can get HOT.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X