X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattsk8
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2011

Re: My first 3 way speaker build

Been a while and for SB Acoustic's sake I wanted to update... The SB Acoustics SB29NRX-6 is a phenomenal woofer :D; my anemic bass was related to having the port too long.

I built a 2 cubic foot (internal) cabinet, and used a 3" diameter Precision Port, with a flare at each end. There was some gray area as to just exactly how I should add or subtract from port length to compensate for the flares, so I just added an inch for the flares to the overall length. Madisound called for a 12" port for a f3 of 28Hz, and modeling with WinISD shows a 12" port tuned to 26Hz gives f3 of 27Hz; I made mine 13" end to end. As stated here, my bass was very anemic; it was good bass, just not loud enough. I cut my port down to roughly 7" and only had the flare on the outside, no longer a flare on the inside, and WOW what a difference!!

At this point I have this build sounding very good, but not quite where I want it. I'm going to swap the HDS tweeter for a Transducer Labs. The HDS is a nice tweeter, but its a tad heavy for me on the top. The vocals seem a tad hissy if I make it loud enough, and if I tame it enough to pull the hiss out of the vocals it's too stifled. I'll report back once I get that going.
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

• mattsk8
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2011

Update:.....

The Transducer Labs N26MG is purely and absolutely an amazing tweeter :D. I honestly can't say enough good about this tweeter. While it took me a while to get the xover right, swapping the HDS for this was the equivalent to hitting the ball straight out of the park and over the fence with the bases loaded!! I'm not putting the HDS down, I actually enjoyed what I had before and would've been fine leaving it alone, but curiosity got the best of me and I had to go for it and swap the tweeter.

These will be at Iowa in a few weeks too. I REALLY need to thank Craig Kinnison on this, he steered me in both driver selection, and also hung in there while we both discussed different crossover possibilities. Craig, you sure do know your drivers .

The other end of this that's so nifty (yes, nifty :p), is how much I learned through this build. This is the first xover I did 100%, all by my lonesome. I measured, imported, simmed, designed, and voiced the entire thing!! So a huge shout out to all on this forum that have helped me to finally begin to figure this out (you all know who you are)!! I'll also say that learning on a 3 way probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but in the end I'm SUPER glad I did because I learned an incredible amount through these.
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Aug 2008

You hit a home run brother. In my top 5! Smoothest Bass OF THE DAY. IMHO.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• kenny_k
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Jul 2010

A pure gem!
          Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
          DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
          Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

• Sootboots
            • Nov 2013

Will you be sharing the crossover design? My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

Jp

Comment

• mattsk8
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by [email protected]
              You hit a home run brother. In my top 5! Smoothest Bass OF THE DAY. IMHO.
              Originally posted by kenny_k
              A pure gem!
              Thanks, that honestly means a lot guys!!

Originally posted by Sootboots
              Will you be sharing the crossover design? My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

Jp
              Eventually yes, but I'll wait until I'm 100% done with the build just to make sure nothing else is going to change. I think I'm there now as far as the xover goes, but I have just a couple small things I'd like to play with first.

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Aug 2008

Don't mess it up! I REALLY liked them.
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• craigk
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • May 2012

I really like them too.
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• PWR RYD
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Dec 2009

I thought they were terrible. You should scrap the whole project and start over with better drivers. Just kidding. They sounded very good. I think they would sound fantastic with a good front end and good amp. Something was sick in the big amp in Iowa. Most speakers sounded right biased.
                    Last edited by PWR RYD; 10-29-2015, 08:21 AM.
                    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• jhollander
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Oct 2006

I agree something was not right as I heard low bass, I think it was because where I was seated.

Seamed like the right bias went away on Craig's speakers and after the preamp was used.

Craig, are we using your ClassD Audio, or my Crown XLi next year?
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• craigk
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • May 2012

Not sure what was going on but I think you are correct.
                        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• craigk
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by jhollander
                          I agree something was not right as I heard low bass, I think it was because where I was seated.

Seamed like the right bias went away on Craig's speakers and after the preamp was used.

Craig, are we using your ClassD Audio, or my Crown XLi next year?
                          I can bring a amp no problem
                          craigk

Comment

• johnnyrichards
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Oct 2005

The balance issue was in the PC we were using. Nothing wrong with the amp, I see no reason to go to class d or a pro amp.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
                            https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
                            https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

• PWR RYD
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Dec 2009

I'd do a loop back test with ARTA of both amp channels just to be sure.
                              Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• johnnyrichards
                                Obsessed & Proud of It
                                • Oct 2005

When I would sit on center at Harris, there was no issue - after we corrected the balance issue on the laptop.

Regardless, I'll happily leave the hundred pounder home in the future - sh!t is heavy.
                                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
                                https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

Working...