OT: A man walks into a HiFi store..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: A man walks into a HiFi store..

***This thread contains my thoughts and experience with a 2 channel system that costs as much as a house. It is NOT intended to start a battle of commercial vs DIY, etc. Just me sharing my experience an thoughts. I am not suggesting that I can or can not design something better or that I can hear well enough to properly critique the system's value. I don't get to play with this level of gear every day and really enjoyed the opportunity and want to share the experience. I can however share my thoughts relatively fairly as I do not own it and did not build it :D That said..

This past weekend while visiting family out of state I stepped foot into a hifi store. They had probably the nicest spread of high end gear I have seen to date. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, even though they could plainly see I was just kicking tires. They were even trusting enough to hand me the remote, let me pick out a disc and leave me alone, shutting the door behind them on their way out of the room. Very nice people. I only had very limited time unfortunately.

My first experience was actually courtesy of another customer who brought in some music on vinyl (wasn't familiar with the music but wasn't a huge fan..) and just wanted to show his buddy something better than his Pioneer setup at home. The speakers were Magnepan 3.7 run off all Audio Research gear (except the turntable). Considering the music and that the guy liked the volume at 11 on a 10 scale; My thoughts:

Sound was HUGE. Clean, clear and open. I preferred them with a sub on, but they were fine without it. Cool sounding speakers. Perhaps a bit edgy at super volumes, but not fair to say with the way they were demoed. The sweet spot wasn't strict, which was nice. There were some smaller Maggies in another room playing a live concert DVD, very pleasant and perfect for that. I enjoyed them. There were also some old large Maggies there playing some regular tv (perhaps ESPN iirc..) that also sounded great for that. I love the large and effortless sound that seems to just exist rather than emanating from a point for theatre and tv purposes.. These fit the bill wonderfully. If I had to list cons or needed accompaniments, I would say a sub and careful room treatments/placement..

I'm out of time, but perhaps tomorrow I will wrap up with my thoughts on the last thing I listened to before leaving, the $100,000+ system, and my conclusions

Re: OT: A man walks into a HiFi store..

I guess this means you like dipolar speakers.....
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The Magnepan stuff isn't that expensive, is it? If that is what you like I think you could get it for relatively cheap by watching for used, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
        ***This thread contains my thoughts and experience with a 2 channel system that costs as much as a house. It is NOT intended to start a battle of commercial vs DIY, etc. Just me sharing my experience an thoughts. I am not suggesting that I can or can not design something better or that I can hear well enough to properly critique the system's value. I don't get to play with this level of gear every day and really enjoyed the opportunity and want to share the experience. I can however share my thoughts relatively fairly as I do not own it and did not build it :D That said..

This past weekend while visiting family out of state I stepped foot into a hifi store. They had probably the nicest spread of high end gear I have seen to date. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, even though they could plainly see I was just kicking tires. They were even trusting enough to hand me the remote, let me pick out a disc and leave me alone, shutting the door behind them on their way out of the room. Very nice people. I only had very limited time unfortunately.

My first experience was actually courtesy of another customer who brought in some music on vinyl (wasn't familiar with the music but wasn't a huge fan..) and just wanted to show his buddy something better than his Pioneer setup at home. The speakers were Magnepan 3.7 run off all Audio Research gear (except the turntable). Considering the music and that the guy liked the volume at 11 on a 10 scale; My thoughts:

Sound was HUGE. Clean, clear and open. I preferred them with a sub on, but they were fine without it. Cool sounding speakers. Perhaps a bit edgy at super volumes, but not fair to say with the way they were demoed. The sweet spot wasn't strict, which was nice. There were some smaller Maggies in another room playing a live concert DVD, very pleasant and perfect for that. I enjoyed them. There were also some old large Maggies there playing some regular tv (perhaps ESPN iirc..) that also sounded great for that. I love the large and effortless sound that seems to just exist rather than emanating from a point for theatre and tv purposes.. These fit the bill wonderfully. If I had to list cons or needed accompaniments, I would say a sub and careful room treatments/placement..

I'm out of time, but perhaps tomorrow I will wrap up with my thoughts on the last thing I listened to before leaving, the $100,000+ system, and my conclusions
        It was Magneplanar and Conrad Johnson tubes that redirected my Polk & Carver thoughts for the rest of my life. circa 1986
        “Never ask people about your work.”
        ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          Wolf

why the snide remark ? you seem to be doing this a lot lately.
          Last edited by craigk; 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I doubt it was intended as "snide"... but just an observation that perhaps what you were liking is the dipole configuration. BTW, I like dipole and love a very good planar driver. Some will call me ignorant or deaf for liking the Martin-Logan curviplanar speakers I once owned... CLS II, Aerius II and Monolith III... but I like what I like.
            "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
              The Magnepan stuff isn't that expensive, is it? If that is what you like I think you could get it for relatively cheap by watching for used, etc.
              This is true, Maggies come in a wide range of sizes and prices, which is one of the things I have always liked about their approach. When you consider that you can get into a pair of MMG's for about the price of building a pair of Continuums it really starts to make things interesting. Within their limitations I think Maggies are fine speakers. They can sound harsh if pushed too hard, so I hope the Spinal Tap guy ("our amps go to 11") was doing them an injustice.
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                why the snide remark ? you seem to be doing this a lot lately.
                Lately? Try the past two years. But he gets his pats on the head so its all good. If we all had ears as perfect as Ben, and were as eloquent, came up with cool names for typical designs and so on, we would not have such a model citizen in our community for us to worship now would we?

Nothing wrong with Di-pole sound. Not my cup o' tea but it can be EXTREMELY enjoyable. I am glad this was a good experience for Dynamo. Too many people spend time in the doldrums of reverse snobbery and justifying why they cannot afford a 100K system rather than taking a serious listen and enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                  Lately? Try the past two years. But he gets his pats on the head so its all good. If we all had ears as perfect as Ben, and were as eloquent, came up with cool names for typical designs and so on, we would not have such a model citizen in our community for us to worship now would we?
                  .............and now for some funny tags.....watch.
                  Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attaché | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COÜGAR, COUGAR II and COÜGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

What town was this shop?
                    Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                    DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                    Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                      .............and now for some funny tags.....watch.
                      I added one, just because you asked for it ;)
                      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post

Nothing wrong with Di-pole sound. Not my cup o' tea but it can be EXTREMELY enjoyable. I am glad this was a good experience for Dynamo. Too many people spend time in the doldrums of reverse snobbery and justifying why they cannot afford a 100K system rather than taking a serious listen and enjoying it.
                        Well, at least there will be some popcorn action going down before too long
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
                          I doubt it was intended as "snide"... but just an observation that perhaps what you were liking is the dipole configuration. BTW, I like dipole and love a very good planar driver. Some will call me ignorant or deaf for liking the Martin-Logan curviplanar speakers I once owned... CLS II, Aerius II and Monolith III... but I like what I like.
                          I wasn't being snide, just making an observation.
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                            Well, at least there will be some popcorn action going down before too long
                            Just Mikey creating drama again.

Mike- I don't know where that came from, but you've apparently been reading me wrong.
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              Wolf
                              I guess so :D I have listened to others before, only Martin Logans though. While I found them enjoyable as well, not as much so as these. Either way I think I would always want a nice set of "typical" speakers as well to switch back to for certain music types or just for the purpose of change or a reference from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                              X