Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCD7 all of a sudden stopped working: any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCD7 all of a sudden stopped working: any help?

Hi everyone, this is a weird problem and I can't imagine what the source might be. I run PCD7 from my wife's old laptop and was working on a design the other day, saved my work, closed the laptop and went to bed. The next day I reopen then program and almost none of the buttons are working. I get no alerts regarding macros, no sign that anything is wrong at all, but virtually all of the buttons are of no use. (Some exceptions: adding Frd or zma files, changing the view from full to normal, perhaps some others. But all the most important buttons, like those to add or remove components, no longer work.) I tried downloading the program again but to no avail. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what was the solution?

Re: PCD7 all of a sudden stopped working: any help?

Do you have Office 2013? Does it auto update?
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

This is really weird because the same thing just happened to me in PCD and in FRM but the Baffle Diffraction Simulator is still working fine as well as other Excel programs. I checked ActiceX controls: they are enabled.

I'm still on XP and Office 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
        I have office 2013, and it did auto update yesterday evening and PCD stopped working - the buttons are unclickable now.... :-(

It was fine in the morning. I also have installed office 2007 for using the Response Modeler, but PCD doesn't seem to work in it either.

Comment

There are some alternatives available that exist as installable programs that are not dependent on Office as a prerequisite. WinPCD is a good choice for those familiar with Jeff's Excel based work and XSim is another good choice.

As far as I know, both draw upon a lot of the work Jeff has done, and produce the same results.

Jeff, thank you for advancing the concept of freely available crossover modeling software - I hope you are not upset at my recommendation the OP switch to a traditional software based modeling program.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
            I believe I'm running excel 2007 and XP just like Mobius. It wouldn't surprise me since we're having the same problem at the same time.

Comment

Downloaded winpcd but running into problems. I think I did everything I was supposed to, but when I start plugging in component values nothing happens; when I hit "initialize textbook values" it says "not yet implemented." I already told it I'm making a parallel two-way and I don't know what else it wants me to tell it. Frustrated, giving up for now.

Comment

The textbook values for WinPCD are not yet implemented. I run JB's PCD 7 on s laptop with Win7 64-bit and Office 2010, and don't have any problems.

Hong
                Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                Sonata Soundbar Project
                The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

The updates comment made me realize that I had just said yes to some Office updates yesterday so I just restored my computer back to Tuesday's version and voila, all is well again in my little world.

Darned MS updates.

Chaz, I also use WinPCD but it isn't fully programmed yet so that trying to get it to calculate textbook values won't work - you'r completely on your own for all xo values.

Jeff, I happen to find the filter calculators that you included with PCD , zobels, impedance compensation circuits etc, etc, to be extremely helpful even if they are just a starting point. Thanks again for all the work you've done and continue to do.

Comment

Last night my laptop installed 23 updates for Windows, including Office. When I get home from work I will check it and see if functionality was affected.
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by mobius View Post
                      Chaz, I also use WinPCD but it isn't fully programmed yet so that trying to get it to calculate textbook values won't work - you'r completely on your own for all xo values.
                      I never used that option when using PCD myself given that textbook values are only a starting point, so I didn't put a high priority on it. Maybe that should be the next minor update.

dlr
                      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                        I never used that option when using PCD myself given that textbook values are only a starting point, so I didn't put a high priority on it. Maybe that should be the next minor update.

dlr
                        Thanks Dave. For someone like me, starting values are immensely helpful, as otherwise I am just lost - tinkering with textbook values is a big help for complete noob - make some change and see what happens:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by mobius View Post
                          That I don't mind, but even when plugging in my OWN values nothing happens. My point is I can't get the program to acknowledge any values at all, not even the ones it's supposed to generate.

Comment

I just DL'd winPCD just in case my PCD7 stops working. Really liking this program, very intuitive and easy to use for someone familiar with PCD
                            http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Same problem after updates. I'm running win7 and office 2010. Now for the mind blower for the heck of it I tried the 2003 version of
                              PCD and it is working.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X