Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm just a simple caveman...

Originally posted by kiro View Post
    Cool I'll keep an eye out for the get togethers! The SQ is a big draw for me.

And Arlis I need to go as big as she'll allow right out the gate. She doesn't share my affinity for big sound. She appreciates nice sound, but isn't an audiophile in the least. If I made some small speakers for the front, her reaction would be "great! And you can make some smaller ones for the rears." I love her, but this is not a shared passion :-)
    So, how big is the room? How far are your seats from the screen? How big is the screen/TV?

Comment

It's about 14X25, and the seats vary from 10 to 15 feet from the screen

Comment

It's about 14X25, and the seats vary from 10 to 15 feet from the screen
        What type of music do you like the most, and how loud do you want to be able to play the system?

That's a pretty big room. A 40" tall, 9" wide tower design might look relatively small to your wife, especially if the finish matches with the walls, or other furniture.

How far off the wall is the screen, or other objects that will be between the speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
          What type of music do you like the most, and how loud do you want to be able to play the system?

That's a pretty big room. A 40" tall, 9" wide tower design might look relatively small to your wife, especially if the finish matches with the walls, or other furniture.

How far off the wall is the screen, or other objects that will be between the speakers?
          I like a lot of stuff, but mostly alt rock type stuff like Radiohead, Alt-J, Whitest Boy Alive, The Antlers, etc.

Yeah it's a good sized room. But, she will still notice the larger speakers. BUT, you make an excellent point - I haven't made it clear to her that these can match any finish she wants. Hmmmm....

The screen, components, and media center are all against the wall. The TV is on a swivel mount. Honestly, the saving grace may be that she wants to upgrade the TV to a 70" as part of this project, so I may have some leverage "You want your big TV? I need big speakers to go with it." Muhahahahaaa

Comment

I like a lot of stuff, but mostly alt rock type stuff like Radiohead, Alt-J, Whitest Boy Alive, The Antlers, etc.

Yeah it's a good sized room. But, she will still notice the larger speakers. BUT, you make an excellent point - I haven't made it clear to her that these can match any finish she wants. Hmmmm....

The screen, components, and media center are all against the wall. The TV is on a swivel mount. Honestly, the saving grace may be that she wants to upgrade the TV to a 70" as part of this project, so I may have some leverage "You want your big TV? I need big speakers to go with it." Muhahahahaaa
            I'm thinkin nice pair of 3-way towers with an 8" woofer near the floor. I'd select a woofer with an f3 of about 60 hz to 80 hz in a sealed box for a good blend with a sub. For the mid, I'd probably go with a 5.25" midbass. The tweeter might be the most expensive driver of the system, because I'd want to cross it at about 2k, or a little lower. My preliminary budget for the drivers and x-over would be about $300 / speaker, although, if I had to compromise a bit, I could build something for about half that.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
              I'm thinkin nice pair of 3-way towers with an 8" woofer near the floor. Select a woofer with an f3 of about 60 hz to 80 hz in a sealed box for a good blend with a sub. For the mid, I'd probably go with a 5.25" midbass. The tweeter might be the most expensive driver of the system, because I'd want to cross it at about 2k, or a little lower. My preliminary budget for the drivers and x-over would be about $300 / speaker, although, if I had to compromise a bit, I could build something for about half that.
              Sounds exactly like my Nova Forte if built as a sealed box
              http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
              X