• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Re: DakotaDIY 2015

Originally posted by hipcheck View Post
    Great looking event guys! Some great looking speakers, but what is with all those ugly mugs being put on the web. I thought 2-3 of you guys were on the witness protection plan or something.

I need some more info on the 3way with the big round over and the Harley emblem? That is a nice design.

Glad to see you guys had a great event,

Steve
    That's Lowell's PS220 build with the Ultimax and a North D25 tweeter, IIRC.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• hipcheck
    replied

Great looking event guys! Some great looking speakers, but what is with all those ugly mugs being put on the web. I thought 2-3 of you guys were on the witness protection plan or something.

I need some more info on the 3way with the big round over and the Harley emblem? That is a nice design.

Glad to see you guys had a great event,

Steve

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

Yeah.he joined MAC not ddiy.
    Ditto on the beans.

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied

No offense taken Jim! JR and Bryan comprise the powerhouse behind DDIY 2015. I just recently wormed my way into the group to offer programming services honestly.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
    Bingo about the venue. This is the first venue at which I felt my speakers sounded just like I expected them too. Also, those baked beans were on point, we need a recipe posted!
    Hi Jason,

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you with the thank you since you're part of the team. Thank you for helping to put on a great DIY event. It's a great way to get cranked up for the year. No disrespect to the inDIYana Event. It happens so early in the season, I'm always busy and can't get away or I'm not ready with my projects.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• audioanarchist
    replied

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
    Also, those baked beans were on point, we need a recipe posted!
    Good luck on that!

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
    I'll echo others comments and give a big thanks to JR, Amanda and BK for another excellent DIY event. The food was great, music was wonderful and the opportunity to chat with both new and old friends, priceless. I also want to add, the room acoustics were excellent. No bass boom, there was a flat wall similar to what you'd have in your home (Yah!) and a carpeted floor with a bit of strategically placed "bounce" absorption.
    Bingo about the venue. This is the first venue at which I felt my speakers sounded just like I expected them too. Also, those baked beans were on point, we need a recipe posted!

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied

"Bryan and JR did measure the vibrations off the box, and looks like it was making its own tune, so that was interesting".
    Ani, maybe that BBC/thin wall effect? ;)

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
    I thought I heard Ani say the crossovers were slightly different too.

Ron
    The crossovers were the same, except Lowell used some really funky caps and coils, and i used run of the mill components. So, yes, some 2nd decimals on the inductors and caps were different and slight variation on the DCR. But all the big numbers were the same. The Cabinet volume was almost the same and the baffle dimensions were the same, mine was a bit shallower to make up for the thinner box (0.23 craft ply with window braces running both horizontally and vertically). The thin box was covered in Carbon firber to give it some stiffness and i was going to put the another "Final" Carbon Fiber on it and leave it as the finish, but the weather had made the eponxy painfully slow to cure and so to cover up, the final finish was vinly leather.

Bryan and JR did measure the vibrations off the box, and looks like it was making its own tune, so that was interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied

I'll echo others comments and give a big thanks to JR, Amanda and BK for another excellent DIY event. The food was great, music was wonderful and the opportunity to chat with both new and old friends, priceless. I also want to add, the room acoustics were excellent. No bass boom, there was a flat wall similar to what you'd have in your home (Yah!) and a carpeted floor with a bit of strategically placed "bounce" absorption.

There were lots of great speakers in attendance. I'm always amazed at how much really good sound you can get for less than $250. One of the things I zone in on at DIY events is specific drivers I find interesting. Some stand outs for me were the Eclipse drivers from Meniscus. Very nice sounding drivers! The new ViaWave ribbon from our own Roman Carpenter reminded me of why I'm a ribbon lover. There were several SB Acoustics designs in attendance that stood out to me. All provided exceptional sound quality at reasonable cost. There wasn't a bad sounding speaker at the event but the one that I'm still amazed at is JR's "Radio Shack" remake. :eek: It sounded great!

Great job everyone!

Anyway, I had a lot of fun, got great feedback on the Anthology's with a very big thank you to everyone that commented and look forward to the next DIY event this year.

See you there!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Two were actually identical except for cabinet construction and I wanted to make a note about the differences in overall tonality that I noticed. On Ani's lightweight construction, male vocals in particular were noticeably altered over Arlis' version. To my ears, they were different enough to essentially be considered different designs, and I think a great reminder about altering cabinets from original design. That was unique listening opportunity #1
    I thought I heard Ani say the crossovers were slightly different too.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

We started the day with a "mini Iron" session - six consecutive designs using the SB19. One was not at Iron and was actually used at Indy in the mini 3-way. Two were actually identical except for cabinet construction and I wanted to make a note about the differences in overall tonality that I noticed. On Ani's lightweight construction, male vocals in particular were noticeably altered over Arlis' version. To my ears, they were different enough to essentially be considered different designs, and I think a great reminder about altering cabinets from original design. That was unique listening opportunity #1

Unique listening opportunity #2 involved two pair of small monitors, each with a ~5" midwoofer and a horn loaded (excuse me, waveguide :p) XT25. One speaker uses a Dayton RS with the XT25SC90, the other uses that Seas with woven poly cone and the venerable XT25TG30. It is rare to have two such extremely similar designs at a show, so I made sure to play them sequentially (thanks, Ed!)

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

I think I mentioned this already.... but I really enjoyed the house track this time around. It was a nice mix of different music and each song focused on a specific thing to listen for or revealed a specific challenge for our designs. Ron E was kind enough to let me use his demo disc which began with the 5 min house track then added 10 min of some other awesome music. He even gave me his demo disc to take home! Thank you Ron! Your Iron Driver speakers were one of my favorites yesterday. Really well done. They sounded like $2250 speakers

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

This is my track list:

Yo-Yo Ma - Edgar Meyer - Mark O'Connor - Benjamin
    Robert Cray - The Things You Do To Me
    Peter Ostroushko - Blues For Marian (Waltz of the Holsteins)
    Gyuto Monks Tantric Choir - Praising Chakrasamvara
    Norman Greebaum - Spirit In The Sky
    Heather Nova - Save A Little Piece Of Tomorrow
    Rani Arbo & Daisy Mayhem - Travelin' Shoes
    Marta Gomez - Cielito Lindo

After a fight nearly broke out over who was going to get the only copy of the disk I brought it was decided to put the tracks up on the web. I except BK will do that as soon as he recovers.

I only took one picture of a speaker with my phone and that was JR's Rat Shack creation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JR's-3-way.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	1166916

They sounded good and JR's daughter did a top notch job with the finish.

Big thanks to everyone involved who put this together. I heard a lot of great speakers, got to talk to old friends and meet some new people.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

I managed to snap just a few pictures with my phone, but Bill was his usual busy self so we will have his professional level photography hosted on our website before too much longer.

Tragically, I did not take a picture of the food. However - I have plenty of leftovers to eat this coming week

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X