Musical 10" woofer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical 10" woofer?

Anyone have a recommendation for a 10" woofer that will play to 300 hz or so but still have some authority on the bottom end?
    I've looked at everything I can find and the SB sb29nrx75-6 looks the best on paper although the SEAS L26RO4Y looks interesting.

Thanks
    John

Re: Musical 10" woofer?

Price? Sensitivity? Impedance? Does any of that matter to you?
    http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

It will be active and eq'd, so not really.

Comment

If sensitivity isn't of concern a lot of subwoofers will play happily to 300Hz.
        I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Get it while it's on sale

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-coil--295-510

Looks good to at least 500hz. Has a lot of copper in the motor.
          http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

That looks more like a HT sub. Looking more for a woofer that will sound good at 300 hz

Comment

Originally posted by johnpastuck View Post
              That looks more like a HT sub. Looking more for a woofer that will sound good at 300 hz
              hey John, hadn't seen you in a while here. Or maybe I just missed some posts.

Back to the point, what's your budget?

Acoustic Elegance makes a dynamite 10" woofer, their TD10S. It can easily do 1000Hz if you want.

I'm using the RSS315 as a woofer in my 3-ways currently. (check the Byzantium link in my signature). The RSS265 can easily handle 500Hz. It's response is actually flat to 1000Hz before cone breakup kicks in.

Eminence Deltalite II 2510 if you don't need deep extension.

The RS270 is certainly capable of 300hz.

One of my all time favorite 10" woofers . . . the Usher 1001B. Usher makes some dynamite woofers.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Anyone have a recommendation for a 10" woofer that will play to 300 hz or so but still have some authority on the bottom end?
                You specifically said "Musical" in the title. That has Reference Series written all over it. I know for sure that the RSS265HF can easily play up to 300 and is squeaky clean all the way up there. It's a sub so it definitely has the authority on the bottom end as well.
                Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
                MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
                  Price? Sensitivity? Impedance? Does any of that matter to you?
                  AND How low and How big of a cab is acceptable...
                  ( very open ended request )
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Looks like you have your eye on a high end driver. Have you considered Acoustic Elegance? I bet one of their TD models would fit your application quite well. Even their 15's are rated up to 2khz thanks to ultra low inductance (though you wouldn't necessarily need to cross that high due to beaming). AE sound is one of my favorites when it comes to bass, I am currently building an IB setup with AE subwoofers for an upcoming muscle car install. Very excited :D

Comment

You'd be hard pressed to find any good quality ten inch driver that doesn't have give perfectly good results to 300Hz. For that matter the same would apply to twelves, fifteens and eighteens. Sub drivers tend not to be used above 100Hz, but that's not because they can't go higher, it's because you don't want to run subs into the directionally locatable frequency range.
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I'll definatly +1 on the RS270-8 after using them in my 442 build. They work nicely in a little over 1c.f. Sealed.
                        A mains
                        The Ventures
                        Open Invit8tions
                        RSR
                        Sound Troopers
                        Acorns
                        DGBG's
                        The Monuments

Comment

Acoustic Elegance makes a dynamite 10" woofer, their TD10S. It can easily do 1000Hz if you want.

I'm using the RSS315 as a woofer in my 3-ways currently. (check the Byzantium link in my signature). The RSS265 can easily handle 500Hz. It's response is actually flat to 1000Hz before cone breakup kicks in.

One of my all time favorite 10" woofers . . . the Usher 1001B. Usher makes some dynamite woofers.
                          Hey Pete, Yea, One day I had had the idea that it might be fun to get back to playing music. So I dusted off the drums, found a rock band, then signed up for some jazz lessons,
                          practiced a lot, found a jazz band, and now a reggae band too. Maybe a bit much, but it didn't leave much time for building speakers. Anyway, I'm reworking the focused array that I had at the last Iowa event that I attended, 07 or so. Trying to get a better blend from the 10" to the two 4"midbass. I'll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                            You'd be hard pressed to find any good quality ten inch driver that doesn't have give perfectly good results to 300Hz. For that matter the same would apply to twelves, fifteens and eighteens. Sub drivers tend not to be used above 100Hz, but that's not because they can't go higher, it's because you don't want to run subs into the directionally locatable frequency range.
                            That is a function of cone diameter, correct? At what frequency does a 10" become directional? I could not pick it up at 150 and looking at the off axis response, most 10's seem to have the same response on axis to at least 45 degrees off axis to 300hz.

Comment

I believe the User product line is 20% off at PE.
                              Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Working...
                              X