Suggestions regarding LouC's driver inventory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions regarding LouC's driver inventory

I was bequeathed LouC's not insubstantial inventory of drivers. It took me quite a while to sort through them, inventory them and find someplace to store them in our ancient (zero closet space) house. I'm now ready to put the vast majority of them up for adoption. Here's my conundrum: since there's SO MANY (close to 300), I'm wondering the best way to deal with determining shipping costs. Is there a way around taking each purchase down to the UPS store and getting a packing/shipping estimate, bringing it back home, wait for check then shipping it out? I know there are a few members of the forum who've cleared large amounts of driver inventory. How did you handle this situation?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Re: Suggestions regarding LouC's driver inventory

A challenge like this can be both melancholy and heartwarming. Although I never met him Lou was a good man and a friend to many here.

You're a good man for spreading Lou's love across PETT. Wishing you well!

Marty

Comment

Actual shipping plus 50% to you as the facilitator, or a blind auction (with a reserve) with proceeds benefitting something cool.

RIP Lou, I wanted you to be on the other end of the phone when yellow dog died.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

If you're considering USPS, go pick up a variety of their flat rate boxes (They're free, just grab 'em). That will make life much easier as you can simply see if what a buyer wants will fit into them and easily quote the flat rate cost.

For "real" quotes, find a good scale. You can get online quotes if you have box dimensions and weight. Paypal offers shipping discounts if you print postage off online if you're going that route.

Or....just make something up you think will be close. You might end up loosing out on a few bucks here and there but will simplify things. Whatever you do, don't offer to refund an overages on the cost of shipping if it happens to be less. It's a mess to have to keep track of all that down to the change.

p.s.: you're an awesome guy for doing this.

Comment

Weigh them on the bathroom scales, rounding the weight up to the nearest pound, or use P-E's catalog (Madisound's) weight to the closest pound and ship 'em all Priority Mail by the rate chart on-line. You can set-up a FREE account with the USPS to print tracking postage labels and, as mentioned, they'll provide you with FREE boxes. Mom-and-Pop retail stores like the hobby shop I pack for may be able to get you started with free re-cycled packing peanuts, bubble wrap and air bags, or use paper or plastic store bags. The postman will come and pick-up your parcels at your house if you want. You can get real fancy and go to Harbor Freight and buy their 10 kilogram electronic scale, accurate to +/- 1 gram for $20 on sale. That's what I use at the shop and it reads to .01 oz.
          I thank you for doing this too. With Priority Mail, the "worse case" is using the "Flat Rate" boxes. You could use UPS's "Pack-n-Ship" service too if there's a UPS/Kinko's/Office Depot near you. The buyer can choose his preferred shipper and pre-pay it him(her)self with at your door pick-up also. FedEx, UPS, USPS and where DHL has service, all do this via not PayPal or a credit card.
          I await your listings with a worm on my tongue (baited breath)...

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
            I await your listings with a worm on my tongue (baited breath)...
            I enjoy your word play, but I hope that you realize that the proper spelling is actually "bated breath".
            “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Thank you all for the shipping suggestions. I see I have a lot more options than I thought.

With your kind words, I'm more than a little concerned that I may have given people the wrong impression: When I said "adoption", I didn't mean to imply giving away. Lou actually intended that I sell them, and told me so on more than one occasion. (It always gave me the heebie-jeebies when he'd bring it up.) Despite his head shaking at my penchant for Accuton drivers, fairy dust capacitors etc., he had a soft spot (and I think a modicum of respect) for my choice to pursue an incredibly non-lucrative career as a professional musician. Despite my middle-aged gut, I'm the epitome of the expression "starving artist."

I apologize if my wording was misleading. It certainly wasn't my intention.
              Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

RIP Lou, I wanted you to be on the other end of the phone when yellow dog died.
                A very beautiful commemoration of/for Lou.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

And you can get an online FedEx account and weigh and print shipping labels at home.

Comment

If it's an auction, you could just offer free shipping. Usually when people bid on an auction, they figure what they are willing to pay, subtract shipping cost, and bid up to that amount. I don't think the shipping price you decide will effect the total revenue. Also if you are just shooting from the hip, figure around $1 per lb.
                    Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

I find the UPS online shipping estimator to be very accurate if my entries are good. When I shipped those massive CSS CDX-12's out I measured the box, weighed the combo, and used their estimator. When I shipped the total was only about 40 cents off my estimate, which was less than 1%. Sometimes it's off a dollar or two, I never let that bother me any. I can eat a couple of bucks on a sale OK. All in all, just estimating shipping to the buyer has worked out close enough to not be an issue for me. Most buyers are very flexible with estimates anyway. I recently shipped some drivers out and we agreed to include $20 for shipping, so I didn't even use the estimator. When I shipped it came to $18.75, close enough for everyone's satisfaction. It could have come to $22 just as easily, and that would not have been a problem either.
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I agree with what others wrote about getting a scale and printing the postage online. I use strictly USPS for shipping. They don't have any add-on fees tied with the shipping fee and they never charge to pickup and deliver to a rural home. Other carriers may charge an extra $10-20 to deliver to a rural home and this is on top of what are probably already excessive rates. You can arrange online for USPS pickup so all you need to do is leave the packages on your porch. No fuss, no muss.

A word of caution about shipping weight: Don't underestimate how much the box and packing material will weigh. A very small item in a tiny box may only have 6-8 ounces added to the actual item but a mid-sized box may add a pound or more. A large package with heavy items and lots of padding may have several pounds of box/padding weight.
                        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

First, thank you Xavier for being Lou's friend.
                          It might be easier to organise(fewer items) if you bundle what you can as sets for Lou's published builds. Current parts just list the number, we'll look it up.
                          Personally, I have some oak that was harvested and milled by a late friend that I want to use for some speakers for his family, and using one of Lou's designs and possibly parts would make it mean more to me if not to them.
                          So start listing whatever is most in your way, put a price that you would pay if you needed a piece for a build, guess at shipping, and don't worry about it.
                          If you want us to make offers, I like to think that we are more reasonable than jerks, you could see how it goes, then price stuff if it gets silly.

good luck with it, David

Comment

Happen to have a list of everything? Perhaps I can help.

Comment

Also, if you use USPS online label printing you can save a serious amount on shipping. I just shipped a 14 lb package priority and it cost me 18$ with a 14$ online discount. That means it would have cost me 32$ at a post office (ouch).
                              Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                              Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Working...
                              X