• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best quality resistors, available from your local Art suppliers

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/09...-probably.html

anyone tried this?

Re: Best quality resistors, available from your local Art suppliers

No, but I am going to now just because DIY FTW.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
      Making your own resistors is OK if you are stranded on Gilligan's Island, otherwise you can just simply buy high quality resistors. Seriously, is it worth it to convert pencils into resistors? How do you estimate the wattage? Graphite sticks are quite fragile, oops! Total BS if you ask me, but appropriate for the lunes over at Audio Asylum.

Comment

Now I understand why my local Office Depot recently started carrying audiophile grade pencil leads.

Comment

Or, if you're rich and lazy, you can buy the original; made by Duelund in Denmark and sold by...

http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_duelund.html

I installed some of these as replacements in a Polk SDA/SRS loudspeaker xo upgrade.
          Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

I wouldn't do it for any other reason than to see if it works. It would be neat to make along with some homemade caps and coils, just for the sake of really doing it all yourself. Certainly not practical considering to low price of resistors, but practical isn't always fun now is it?
            My modest builds:
            Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
            Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
            Armadillo Center Channel
            Au-Rock-O Sub
            Tarkus
            Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

What a waste of time! This is for people who have nothing better to do in life.:rolleyes:
              “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

We "rolled our own" capacitors using paper dielectric and aluminum foil as a lab project back in EE lab in freshman year.

My lab partner was an obvious flower child who could roll a tight one as they say. So we measured the thickness of the paper to determine the plate separation calculated the area of aluminum we'd need to make a .1uF capacitor. We then cut the paper and aluminum foil and started to roll it up.

We not only nailed the value within 2%, we were the only two in the lab that got inside of 15%. It took the full hour to make the single .1uF cap.

Make your own resistors from pencil graphite? If you don't mind a resistor that changes value quite a bit with temperature, go for it. It's a neat experiment.
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Nice, I learned something. I need to figure out how to include a yellow #2 in my next design.
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Metal film resistors were developed for use in RF circuits where the inductance and capacitance of standard carbon resistors caused stability issues. IRC sells up to 2 watt metal film .01% resistors for a price, right from Mouser or Digi-Key. Some of these are over-qualified for microwave work. You can make your own tubes too, but realistically, not as good or consistent as a production line. NOS (new, old-stock) tubes from companies like Tung-Sol in the 1950's are so sought after because they were making millions and you could pick and choose matched pairs. Hey, some of the vinyl guys buy Russian/Chinese PCB oil/paper or silver capacitors for their pre-amps. The manufactured metal-film types are usually flameproof too. When you need more power (wattage) dissipation, sand-cast, ceramic or Dale cased resistors become your friends. Very old radio sets used open carbons as resistors, but they can cause some spectacular fires too. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X