Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WernerM
    replied
    This is the window insulation film I have been toying with...

You can use a hair dryer to shrink it if you don't have a heat gun...

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied
    I confess that I haven't fully read through this thread or the NXT thread, so I apologize if it has already been stated, but I was experimenting yesterday with thick card stock, aluminum foil, a picture frame and some heat shrink window insulation film. I haven't purchased the rigid foam yet, I am still in the " having fun" mode. The card stock sounds more natural than the styrofoam I was playing with, but it lacks highs as well. Then I decided to use spray adhesive and cover the exciter side with aluminum foil. I used an ID card to smooth it out on the card stock. It definitely increased the upper octaves. Then I took an old picture frame and removed the glass. On the backside I used two sided tape around the edges and covered it with window insulation film that can be found at home depot for about $5. I carefully used a heat gun to shrink it and get rid of the wrinkles. Once I was satisfied with the tension I glued one of of pieces of card stock to it. It is amazing at how much more pronounced it became. It definitely helped the low end, and didn't interfere with the upper octaves. Still isn't perfect, and I may never be able to get a fully flat fr from one exciter without eq, but if nothing else the window film trick makes a great suspension. Btw I made up several identical pieces of the card stock so the I could compare as I made changes. Sorry no measurement's at this time.

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied
    Originally posted by captainjack115 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I was looking through Youtube and found a company called AER. They have a very unique looking exciter they call BBX, it has a small tweeter integrated with it.
    Here's the url: http://aer-loudspeakers.com/aer-bbx/?lang=en

i question wether or not you need to cut a hole for the tweeter to radiate through...

Leave a comment:

• captainjack115
    replied
    Hey guys,
    I was looking through Youtube and found a company called AER. They have a very unique looking exciter they call BBX, it has a small tweeter integrated with it.
    Here's the url: http://aer-loudspeakers.com/aer-bbx/?lang=en

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied
    I received the DAEX25 pair as a Christmas gift a few years ago and tested several materials including corrugated cardboard. After the vhb wore out from sticking and unsticking various materials, it got put on the back burner due to full time work and school. This thread has renewed my interest since I now have time. Today I found some 14"x20"x1.5" thick styrofoam panels that I did a quick and dirty treatment on. Initial testing sounds pretty darn promising I must say. I did try mixing food coloring in with the glue, but my black food coloring dried up and while trying to make black with red, blue and green, it came out forest green lol. Still I know that food coloring does work to color the panels. Later I will try taking measurements of untreated, treated no color, treated with color and treated no color then spray painted. That way there will be evidence of any changes to the panels with different treatments. Thank you for renewing my interest. My long time end goal has been to create a setup that's looks like the Martin Logan electrostatics. I am even thinking if trying 2 panels per side like a mini line array with sub re-enforcement for bottom end punch. One sub per channel. Thinking a mini sub lime the 5.25" Tang-band. Maybe even a project using passive radiators like Tom has done recently. Anyway, i have to get to work now that my break is over. Just wanted to touch base, say thanks and let you know I'm in! Will report my findings as I go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X