Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Dayton Audio EX2HMP-5 Exciter 2-Hole Mounting Plate 5 Pack (parts-express.com)

Although that is a good idea to remove exciters without damaging the plastic coil adding that extra mass will change the way the exciter sounds.

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Ive owned over a 100 pairs of speakers in my life time. All of them had grill cloth covers. So my ears like that grill cloth sound. Even DML's sound good with grill cloth. I watched a Magnepan video on how they made there speakers and they use a grill cloth sock that wraps around the whole speaker like Def.Tech or Mirage Bipolars. To bad P.E. didnt make grill cloth sock cover.

My P.E. package arrived yesterday and those Jantzen copper foil wax inductors OH MY GOODNESS. They sound more refined with more detail and spatial air around the soundstage then the Jantzen air cores. I played that Dominique fil am Birds track and the sound of the birds taking off did scare me last night. LMAO

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    For ***** and giggles I wanted to see what would happen if I took the Audyn True Copper Cap off of my Flag ship DML speakers and put them on my little satellite DML speakers and OMG. My friend came over and he said are those the same DML sat speakers he heard last time and I said yes but I upgraded the capacitor and he was like wow they sound so good. He said last time you said you would sell these to me for $60.00 and I said yeah but without those Copper caps lol and then he asked me how much more are those caps and I said they cost more then what it cost me to build that DML sat speakers. lol Although he said the cost is not worth it he also stated that it does sound better then before. We played a Diana Krall track and her voice is so silky smooth with that Audyn True Copper cap which does make a significant difference when compared to the Audyn Q4. I just wish the Audyn True copper caps werent that expensive.

Meanwhile back at the DIY Forum they are still trying to figure out the basics of DML's LMAO

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    commented on 's reply
    Yes that is the best subwoofer placement on the left high up half in the shelf. LOL

P.S. Yes I know he said he put it there because of the clutter but thats just funny to see at least for me. LOL

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    On the DIY forum this is the direction some of them are following which is a disaster. LOL

(1) Panel speaker in progress - YouTube

This is what NOT to do when building DML's. LMAO

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    fantastic dml speakers part 4 - YouTube Check this vid out of someones canvas DML panels. They sound "HORRIBLE" to me but according to him they sound really well. lol

Now before anyone says well you cant tell how a speaker actually sounds like over a recording on youtube unless you hear it in person is true to a degree.

The reason I know for a fact that they dont sound good is because I built some myself awhile back. Even Bertagnis speakers sound better then those.

I can see why he likes them as he is not a audio enthusiast aka audiophile and just your average joe because his speakers sound similar to Bose as it has no highs or lows. LOL
    '

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    commented on 's reply
    I also pointed out that TT do have flaws in their design so its obvious that they could be "MISTAKEN" on certain aspects of DML tech. or they are wording it wrong or a misunderstanding. I highly doubt TT. are trying to mislead us on purpose as I dont believe that is there true intentions.

• LOUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
    Also why would you believe me and not that video on DML mic feed back? I never knew about DML's ability to avoid feed back until I watched that video. Anyone with a exciter and a mic can easily confirm it for themselves.
    Like I said earlier;
    "I'm not doubting YOU and I'm not doubting BMRs, I'm just doubting some of the marketing that comes from TT promotional videos....and complaining about a lack of important information in them.
    I've seen other major companies use some sneaky methods to exaggerate what their product can do, even when their product is genuinely great and should be able to stand well on its own merits."

Tectonic lied in one (or more) of their videos. That makes it extra difficult to know which parts can be trusted.

You aren't selling anything, and you don't have a good reason to make something up.
    You might be mistaken about something (just like any of us) but I'll happily give you the benefit of doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    commented on 's reply
    Also why would you believe me and not that video on DML mic feed back? I never knew about DML's ability to avoid feed back until I watched that video. Anyone with a exciter and a mic can easily confirm it for themselves.

• Unbiasedsound
    commented on 's reply
    My theory is similar to yours as I believe its due to the "diffused" sound aka combing. The unsteadiness part did not work when using a conventional cone driver as soon as the mic is in align with the speaker even for a split second it will start to hum but with the DML even when barley moving there is no feed back.

• Unbiasedsound
    commented on 's reply
    I dont get mad or frustrated if you ask me sincere legit questions.

I agree BMR's behave like a regular pistonic driver in the bass frequencies. DML's also are pistonic but need way more power then a BMR to drive them to pistonic mode due to being inefficient in bass frequencies. This is why I recommend using a DML subwoofer which is just using a sub amp with low pass to drive the exciter into pistonic motion or even better a bass shaker because it can reach lower fr. response.

There is still comb filtering effect when using multiple BMRs or exciters but its effect is not as apparent then conventional cone drivers. Easiest way to fix it is to use crossovers in a 2 way or spacing them close together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DlseXMEcDA

• LOUT
    replied
    OOoh. I think I might've figured out the microphone feedback thing.

I wasn't giving it much thought until YOU mentioned that your DMLs do indeed work great at avoiding feedback compared to your previous drivers.
    I'm betting (assuming? hoping?) mic feedback depends on sustained feeding/cycling of the signal...long enough to really get the mic's diaphram resonating.
    If the DML/BMR combing, combined with the natural human unsteadiness, is enough to interrupt the cycle so it can't sustain enough to resonate..viola!
    Granted, I'm pretty sure a mic on a stand could still feedback under that hypothesis....and I'm also pretty sure a loud enough signal (one that gets resonances moving in less time) could still feedback under that hypothesis.

Maybe something to test..while wearing earplugs.

Leave a comment:

• LOUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
    This comb filtering effect is what makes DML's/BMR's have a "DIFFUSED", type of sound that conventional cone speakers do not have making it less likely for frequencies to phase cancel there own reflections. This is what I've been trying to explain to you as my grammar is far from good. LOL
    Please don't get mad or frustrated. I'm not trying to argue, but more pointing out something that might be important:

It's typically bass frequencies where phase-cancellation/room-modes/nulls/etc. are a problem. Long waves and all that.
    But I'm also pretty sure the BMRs behave like a regular pistonic driver for their bass frequencies.

I wonder if their lack of phase-canceling mid/high-frequencies works with eachothers' signals when multiple drivers are used to play the same signal. Normally you don't see multiple tweeters used for a speaker (aside from line-arrays) because the phase-combing gets very difficult to avoid.
    The same thing can happen with multiple midwoofers playing the same frequencies if their center2center spacing isn't close enough and their LowPass/XO isn't low enough.
    I think I remember seeing an MTM build using the Tectonic BMRs, but I don't know if it was a 2way or 2.5way design.

Anyway, if that works well, that'd probably be a nice alternative to coaxial drivers for center-channel speakers in height-restricted setups (small 5.1's and soundbars, etc).

EDIT:
    Just realized if multiple BMRs signals don't combine for phase-canceling, then they probably also don't combine for additive benefits either. I'm pretty sure it's both sides of the same coin and you can't have one without the other or viceversa.

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    commented on 's reply
    I can tell you are a technical type of person who likes everything explained to you in technical detail and terminology. When I post a vid that shows almost no explanation you seem to make assumptions because not enough info. was given like the train station vid.

When I posted the Tectonic vid of the microphone feed back which is basically self explanitory you started to doubt everything about it. Your first sentence was IF that is the only speaker playing, A/B comparisons, SPL, etc. Unless you've never experienced microphone feed back from a conventional cone speaker then I could understand why that vid is hard to understand. I like to sing karaoke and have a karoke system in my home and when I found out about DML's have very little to no microphone feed back I switched my karaoke speakers to DML and WALA it worked no microphone feed back.

• Unbiasedsound
    commented on 's reply
    Also most of the explanations I give do not come from me, its what I've learned from other pioneers in DML technology, mainly Bertagni and a few others. No DML company is perfect as they all have flaws in there designs. One needs to be able to distinguish the truth from the flaws.

One of the flaws of Tectonic is they didnt round the corners but it could also be because they didnt need to as there DML gear is designed and used for Pro audio use in live performances rather then in home for the audio enthusiast/audiophile. There BMR drivers on the other hand is used in home for the audio enthusiast which is why they are sold here on P.E.
Working...
X