Yet Another IDS-25 Clone! 25 Fountek FE-83 drivers in a line array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yet Another IDS-25 Clone! 25 Fountek FE-83 drivers in a line array

Thanks for your comments! I'll probably get the same Vifas Roger Russell used.

Still, there's a last thing I did before selling them. I was wondering how could Roger Russell's IDS-25 could get to 20 Hz while my speakers theoretically could... but with major distortion.

So, I simulated 25 Founteks vs. 25 Vifas on Bassbox. See how could the Vifas play so much louder than the Founteks.

Results.

They are 1 or 2 dB's louder. No more. Neither speaker can get to 20 Hz above 93 or so dBs. They all reach XMax, and I assume, start distorting like crazy.

My best SWAGs. Roger used the speakers closer to corners. Roger was playing the speakers in a smaller room (my living room is huge). Roger wasn't playing music with really deep, synthesized bass (my speakers never had a single issue playing jazz or classical).

But, my point is... I don't think going for the Vifas will magically get you the 25-20Hz Roger claims. I'm not saying he's wrong - he knows far more than I ever will, and he's a living legend. But I suppose there are certain limitations in order to get to that number.
    Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
    2-2.5 Way:
    Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
    3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

Re: Yet Another IDS-25 Clone! 25 Fountek FE-83 drivers in a line array

Originally posted by fjhuerta View Post
      Thanks for your comments! I'll probably get the same Vifas Roger Russell used.
      Are you going to get those because you think they will perform better in other ways beyond the bass characteristics then? And if so, what areas? I'm still in a holding pattern waiting for my house renovation before pulling the trigger, but it does seem like the value of the Founteks are hard to beat. So I'm wondering if the Vifas are worth the extra coin. If anything, I may have enough time to wait for you to actually build these and tell me definitively which to go with!
      Zaph SR-71
      Zaph ZDT 3.5
      Sunflower Redux
      12" Dayton HF sub
      CJD RS 150 MT

Comment

Working...
      X