New automatic graph tracing program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New automatic graph tracing program

I had some trouble using existing graph tracing programs, got frustrated, wrote my own damn program hacked into the middle of an existing app that had no real UI and needed to be run from a debugger in order to capture the output. I wanted to share it, but decided it would be easier to write it from scratch than fix up the existing one, and have finally completed that.

You can download it here:
    For Windows: http://labs.fprawn.com/FPGraphTracer.zip
    For Mac: http://labs.fprawn.com/FPGraphTracer-osx.zip

Basic usage is to Open an image file, click on the line you want to trace, click + drag the purple boundary markers where you need them and set the Axis values appropriately depending on where you placed them, then Save the output as an frd or zma file.

The Bounded Trace setting can be enabled to limit tracing to within the purple boundary markers. This can be used, for example, to trace off-axis portions of FR graphs where the line begins as black and then splits into multiple colored lines. First trace the black portion, then enable the bounded trace option, move the boundary markers around the section of the image where the split colored lines are and click on the line you need to trace. The points outside of the bounds will remain and the points inside the boundary markers will be replaced with the new trace. Once you have the trace you need, move the boundary markers, set the axis values and save the file.

Clicking in the center of a line will help produce the best trace, and increasing the zoom level on the zoom panel can help make it easier to click the right point and set the boundary markers accurately.

There's not too much to it, really. No guarantees that it will work for you, but if it does, please let me know. And if it doesn't, please let me know.
    FPGraphTracer

Re: New automatic graph tracing program

Originally posted by fprawn View Post
    I had some trouble using existing graph tracing programs, got frustrated, wrote my own damn program hacked into the middle of an existing app that had no real UI and needed to be run from a debugger in order to capture the output. I wanted to share it, but decided it would be easier to write it from scratch than fix up the existing one, and have finally completed that.

You can download it here:
    For Windows: http://labs.fprawn.com/FPGraphTracer.zip
    For Mac: http://labs.fprawn.com/FPGraphTracer-osx.zip

Basic usage is to Open an image file, click on the line you want to trace, click + drag the purple boundary markers where you need them and set the Axis values appropriately depending on where you placed them, then Save the output as an frd or zma file.

The Bounded Trace setting can be enabled to limit tracing to within the purple boundary markers. This can be used, for example, to trace off-axis portions of FR graphs where the line begins as black and then splits into multiple colored lines. First trace the black portion, then enable the bounded trace option, move the boundary markers around the section of the image where the split colored lines are and click on the line you need to trace. The points outside of the bounds will remain and the points inside the boundary markers will be replaced with the new trace. Once you have the trace you need, move the boundary markers, set the axis values and save the file.

Clicking in the center of a line will help produce the best trace, and increasing the zoom level on the zoom panel can help make it easier to click the right point and set the boundary markers accurately.

There's not too much to it, really. No guarantees that it will work for you, but if it does, please let me know. And if it doesn't, please let me know.
    I'll give it a whirl- thanks!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Just finished a little webpage for this, it's got some screenshots and information on basic use along with the download links.

http://labs.fprawn.com/index.php/fpgraphtracer/
      FPGraphTracer

Comment

So easy! Works good too. I made a trace and then put in in OmniMic and the line looks very close to the original. Thanks so much!
        See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Thanks for this! It works very well.

Comment

I like that you can see the sampled line before you save a file, instead of doing everything only to see it jumped to the wrong line once loaded in excel. I used to just b-spline a thicker line manually since you could only go ~1db off at max if you do it right

Comment

Awesome, I'm glad to see people finding it useful. It's a nice feeling to be able to give a little back to this community.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know and I'll try and get them into another release. I saw in another thread that SPLTrace can have screenshots pasted directly in, and I'd like to add that along with Copy putting the FRD output right into your paste buffer to eliminate all file handling for those who don't need it.

Thank you for those who downloaded it to try it out, I know it takes a little trust to run software from random internet people, and I appreciate that.
              FPGraphTracer

Comment

Program is very easy to use and will drastically reduce the time for making FRD and ZMA files. I also think being able to paste graphs in from the clipboard would be great. If you trace graphs you have to try it. Thanks for all the hard work.
                Jeff

Comment

Awesome, I'm glad to see people finding it useful. It's a nice feeling to be able to give a little back to this community.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know and I'll try and get them into another release. I saw in another thread that SPLTrace can have screenshots pasted directly in, and I'd like to add that along with Copy putting the FRD output right into your paste buffer to eliminate all file handling for those who don't need it.

Thank you for those who downloaded it to try it out, I know it takes a little trust to run software from random internet people, and I appreciate that.
                  Thanks much for the cool tool you put together.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, I've never had any luck with any of the others.

Comment

In addition to the ability to paste screenshots, can I request these:

1. Can we have the ability to set the "magenta" to a color of our choice?

2. Can you have your own X and Y axis scales drawn outside the image boundaries and the axis values automatically populated on that scale? This would be useful because once we place the 4 purple bars on known axis values - what the program is calculating as the axis values between those set values is unknown at that point. If the values were shown, we could visually match it up with the values on the image and it would be reassuring to know that the program is aligning it up correctly with its calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by jamikkim View Post
                        I like that you can see the sampled line before you save a file
                        Yes, this is a great feature as well!
                        See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

This worked great thanks.
                          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I just finally had a chance to play with this today. Awesome job, its a very easy to use and terrific tool.
                            Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                            Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Yes, excellent!

Comment

Working...
                              X