Please help selecting first DIY speaker build design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help selecting first DIY speaker build design

My Budget, Use Habits, and SpaceSee attached pictures, open concept living room / dining room / kitchen

- http://speakerdesignworks.com/AviaTrix_1.html

- I like either the MTM or TMM design, just confused on application in my space
    - http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/

- I LOVE the bronze driver color of the Hi Vi B4N!
    - https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...htsensationmtm

4) Paul Carmody's SWOPE 3-way TMWW
    - http://meniscusaudio.com/swope-tower-pair-p-1334.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KEtheredge87; 01-05-2015, 07:29 PM. Reason: Forgot the pictures!
    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
    The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Re: Please help selecting first DIY speaker build design

based on the criteria you are looking for, you might also want to consider Paul C's "Dayton Classic Revival". I have the OS mtm's and they are fun, but I'm pretty sure the Dayton Classics could pound them with the kind of music you like. I'm sure you'll have more folks chiming in this evening. Also, be forewarned, DIY speaker building is an addiction, but fun!
    nikkoluvr

Comment

My Nephila seem to fit the requirements as well.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wolf, nikkoluvr,

Thanks for the responses guys. I continue to find new designs to consider on my own, as well as through helpful guys like yourselves. Nikkoluvr, the DCR's are aptly named with that classic look... It might even fit into the wife's decor scheme!

Wolf, as for the Nephila speakers, I've not come across any other designs with open back tweeters like that before. I checked the photobucket link for more details... did you ever finish them more than MDF? Also what prompted you to use a separate crossover box? Is that just for testing/tweaking prior to final installation?

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
          Wolf, as for the Nephila speakers, I've not come across any other designs with open back tweeters like that before. I checked the photobucket link for more details... did you ever finish them more than MDF? Also what prompted you to use a separate crossover box? Is that just for testing/tweaking prior to final installation?
          I only just finished the construction around September last year, so they haven't been around long enough to be finished yet. It's not 'open-back' so much as 'leaky-back'. There is very very minimal output to the rear, likely from the unsealed leads that go to the membrane from the input terminals. The main purpose of the tweeter baffle was to isolate it from the bass volume, and extend it a little further to make it closer to one's sitting listening axis/height. The external box was just because I had a box to use, and the terminals required happened to fit the cutout holes. It seemed serendipitous at the time. The xover can just as easily go inside the tower.

That said- these are one of my best designs, and are on-par with some very expensive stuff for a lot less money.
          Meniscus will be selling a kit for these. It's not on the website, but they can sell it if you call them.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Checking back in. I have been thinking about things more, and I keep coming back to a desire to try a Swope TMWW Tower build for the left and right channels. I think they will produce enough volume with a decent HT receiver amp to suit my needs, and the gold/bronze driver color passes the wife's decor standards.

Wolf, I do want to thank you for suggesting your Nephila design. Seems like that HiVi F6 driver is giving you great sound quality, and that yellow cone design certainly stands out! I'm interested to see how you choose to finish the cabinets eventually. I've been in study mode recently, tooling up and learning what I can from reading forum posts and DIY articles, so seeing your build pictures and reading over some of your writeups has been helpful!

My garage is pretty cold right now (and I hate trying to work with a constantly runny nose) so I will continue reading and planning while I clear a few paychecks and get ready to order the components I need. I would like to keep a build log as I go along, so I'll try my hand at good documentation while I learn and post things to the project gallery.

I'm sure I'll be asking loads of questions along the way, but If anyone has more comments on their own I am always happy to hear from and learn from you guys!

- Keith

Comment

Paul C. makes very "listenable" (is that a word?) designs. His Swope's have been highly praised. For HT use, at some point, you're going to want a good 12" or larger sub-woofer for those "shake your stomach" SFX. Building your own with an Ultimax 15" driver and Dayton 500 or 1000 watt plate amp is such a money saver and sound quality improver compared to go-buy-it, I think it's a no-brainer. In your large space, a pair of subs isn't ridiculous. People here can explain "room nodes" and such with subs, the short version is you may have places that the bass doesn't play as loudly as it should; it's a "dead spot" or "node". You don't have to have a sub to start, but it will really add to your HT enjoyment and to much of your music too.

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Checking back in. I have been thinking about things more, and I keep coming back to a desire to try a Swope TMWW Tower build for the left and right channels. I think they will produce enough volume with a decent HT receiver amp to suit my needs, and the gold/bronze driver color passes the wife's decor standards.

Wolf, I do want to thank you for suggesting your Nephila design. Seems like that HiVi F6 driver is giving you great sound quality, and that yellow cone design certainly stands out! I'm interested to see how you choose to finish the cabinets eventually. I've been in study mode recently, tooling up and learning what I can from reading forum posts and DIY articles, so seeing your build pictures and reading over some of your writeups has been helpful!

My garage is pretty cold right now (and I hate trying to work with a constantly runny nose) so I will continue reading and planning while I clear a few paychecks and get ready to order the components I need. I would like to keep a build log as I go along, so I'll try my hand at good documentation while I learn and post things to the project gallery.

I'm sure I'll be asking loads of questions along the way, but If anyone has more comments on their own I am always happy to hear from and learn from you guys!

- Keith
                So far I have built 2 of Pauls designs. 3 sets of the Overnight sensations as well as a set of his Speedsters. Wonderful speakers. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed how they were voiced. No need to reach for the equalizer. I am currently in the process of building my Swope Towers as well as the center channel and 4 TM's for my HT. I chose to go with the Dayton tweeter version over the SB mainly due too more negative comments for the SB tweeter over the Dayton. The Dayton's cheaper cost was nice too. Just finishing up the boxes and baffles then I will start with the finishing and final assembly. When I get them done, should be in a month or two, I will be happy to fill you in on what I think of them. If they are remotely close to his other designs they should be excellent. I had a hard time finding drivers for these speakers over the Christmas break as it appeared most places were out of the 6 inch drivers however they appear to be popping back up again so it must have been a supply issue.

Comment

That's a big space. I don't think the OS MTM or Aviatrix are the best choices for it. You picked two of Paul C's designs. Why not his Tarkus? You can build it in a single unit if you don't like the two piece design.

Comment

Originally posted by JimHRB View Post
                    That's a big space. I don't think the OS MTM or Aviatrix are the best choices for it. You picked two of Paul C's designs. Why not his Tarkus? You can build it in a single unit if you don't like the two piece design.
                    Hey Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. I've started to realize the OS MTM and Aviatrix aren't quite sized for my space. Honestly, the first time I saw Paul's Tarkus design I was pretty intimidated! With that 10" driver, those things look like they've got all the hot nasty firepower of an M1 Tank division assigned to guard your living room :eek: ... Oh, who am I kidding? OF COURSE I WANT THEM!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	TakeMyMoney.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1163407

Having said that, I'm not sure there's a center channel design to go with these sonic behemoths. I may be surprised after I build left and right towers, but I think a proper center will still be required for the best vocal reproduction of movies and TV with 5.1 digital audio. So far I know the Swope designs have crossovers and designs for matching centers, so I feel more confident in that space.

Also, as Whitneyville1 suggested, I would like to plan my own subwoofer build as a follow-up project, so I can divide the workload into a 2.1 channel setup instead of a big bad 2.0 channel Tarkus setup.

- Keith

Comment

Originally posted by jdusterjansen View Post
                      So far I have built 2 of Pauls designs. 3 sets of the Overnight sensations as well as a set of his Speedsters. Wonderful speakers. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed how they were voiced. No need to reach for the equalizer. I am currently in the process of building my Swope Towers as well as the center channel and 4 TM's for my HT. I chose to go with the Dayton tweeter version over the SB mainly due too more negative comments for the SB tweeter over the Dayton. The Dayton's cheaper cost was nice too. Just finishing up the boxes and baffles then I will start with the finishing and final assembly. When I get them done, should be in a month or two, I will be happy to fill you in on what I think of them. If they are remotely close to his other designs they should be excellent. I had a hard time finding drivers for these speakers over the Christmas break as it appeared most places were out of the 6 inch drivers however they appear to be popping back up again so it must have been a supply issue.
                      Are you writing a build log in the speaker projects area? I'd be interested in following your progress!

- Keith

Comment

FYI - there was a center designed to go with the Tarkus:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Center-Channel

Comment

Are you writing a build log in the speaker projects area? I'd be interested in following your progress!

- Keith
                          Not at the moment. I could put something together I guess. The boxes and crossovers have all been built already. Just onto the actual finishing on the boxes. I will try to find the time to get one done. Tough just finding time to work on them let alone building a build log with two kids.
                          I think it is time for me to give back to this awesome community.

Comment

Working...
                          X