Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Project - Acoustic Panels

That looks great man, good job!
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Very nice, clean installation. Well done.
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Love this. I have some plans sitting here for a 1x1 frame panel. I planned on doing basically what you did and putting 1 1/2 acoustical foam in the frame, wrap with different clothes and hang them from the ceiling in my office/lab. It is currently open and hope this will cut down on some of the sounds reflecting off the raw wood floor joists.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Wehrle View Post
          Love this. I have some plans sitting here for a 1x1 frame panel. I planned on doing basically what you did and putting 1 1/2 acoustical foam in the frame, wrap with different clothes and hang them from the ceiling in my office/lab. It is currently open and hope this will cut down on some of the sounds reflecting off the raw wood floor joists.
          Don't use acoustic foam if you've not yet purchased it. You will get much better results with something like Gordy used or with UltraTouch Denim, OC703 or Roxul. I've used generic acoustic foam and it's not good...period.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
            Don't use acoustic foam if you've not yet purchased it. You will get much better results with something like Gordy used or with UltraTouch Denim, OC703 or Roxul. I've used generic acoustic foam and it's not good...period.
            Thanks for the heads up and I will be sure to follow your advice. Thank you! Right now they are just drawings sitting on my computer.

Comment

The denim product looks good but I wonder if it would sag? I know you can use rockwool and many lowes stores have it in stock now.

Comment

Originally posted by eyekode View Post
                The denim product looks good but I wonder if it would sag? I know you can use rockwool and many lowes stores have it in stock now.
                The UltraTouch stuff would need minor support depending on low large the panels are. It's an intact batt but not very rigid. In a 1x1 frame it should have enough support from the fabric wrapped around the frame. The denim won't stand on its own like a batt of OC703. However, its low cost and great performance would justify the time required to fabricate some sort of supporting method like chicken wire, etc.
                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Gordy, where did you acquire the fabric wrap for your panels and what is it called specifically. I tried some speaker grill cloth but its also visually transparent so it doesnt look as nice. Sorry if this was already posted but after reading your thread i didnt see it.
                  My Build Thread's
                  Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Go to a fabric store and look for "batting." It's used in layers to make quilts, or in this case, to provide a uniform backing behind the fabric wrap, so the transparency doesn't look as bad.

Then again, you can buy other acoustically-transparent cloth at a fabric store as well, which may not be as transparent. The easier air goes through, the better sound will.

Have fun,
                    Frank

Comment

I will check it out, thanks, I just don't want to look like a crazy person grabbing fabrics and trying to blow through them! The grill cloth once stretched is just really unacceptable looking to me. I can see the roxul underneath with my lighting.
                      My Build Thread's
                      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                        I will check it out, thanks, I just don't want to look like a crazy person grabbing fabrics and trying to blow through them! The grill cloth once stretched is just really unacceptable looking to me. I can see the roxul underneath with my lighting.

I got some really weird looks from the all-female shoppers at a local fabric store where I'd get the Dacron quilt batting I use for acoustic damping, and the open-cell foam choices. They have lots of different closed/open-cell foam, and huge amounts of various types of memory foam. I was going around blowing through the different kinds, which helped me decide which ones to buy. Yeah, I looked like a weirdo, but what's a bit of weirdo when it comes to well-built and great-sounding speakers? On some, it was easy to see when holding it up to a good backlight, others not so much, requiring the blow-through-it test. JoAnn fabrics used to carry an old-school variant of grill cloth, more like the tweed weave on 70s speakers, or like vintage guitar amps. Not as see-through as the stretchy cloth, maybe that would work better for allowing sound to go through, but not actually see what's behind it.

John A.
                        "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                        Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                        Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                        Pioneer TX-9500 II
                        Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                        Statement Monitors
                        Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                        Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                        Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Working...
                        X