Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full range line array for home theater fronts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full range line array for home theater fronts?

I was thinking that it would be really easy to build a nice pair of line array speakers to act as fronts for a home theater. Maybe 5 full range drivers in each?

Any thoughts one this one? I am a noob to DIY speakers, but I have been reading like crazy.

I did build a small pair of full range speakers but I am wanting to take on some real challenges with speaker building and woodworking.

Any pros/cons of small line arrays?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Full range line array for home theater fronts?

A full line array will generally consist of more than 5 drivers.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

5 drivers is not a good number of drivers to work with in a line array. Usually an even number of drivers works better unless you are also integrating shading into the array. However this is normally not done in such a short array as you propose.
      Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
        I believe he is talking about a full range line array, not a full line array.
        Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Yes I am. I am thinking of 5 full range speakers wall mounted next to each side of the TV.

Am I wrong calling this a line array?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy2k View Post
            Yes I am. I am thinking of 5 full range speakers wall mounted next to each side of the TV.

Am I wrong calling this a line array?
            Using an odd number of drivers isn't really possible, or intelligent if it is possible. The trick in arrays is to use series/parallel wiring so that you can maintain a 4 or 8 ohm load on your amplifier.

I just recently built a pair of small arrays similar to what you're describing, using 8 drivers per side. I really like the performance, and when mated with a subwoofer they work perfectly for Theater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArrayAssembly.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	1163604

Click image for larger version

Name:	Array Picture.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1163605

Comment

I use line arrays, though 2-way, not with full rangers. You could use full range if the listening distance is far enough out so that the high frequencies have coalesced into a single wave front. They have the advantage of high sensitivity and controlled vertical directivity. Just stay with a wiring friendly number of drivers.
              Using an odd number of drivers isn't really possible, or intelligent if it is possible. The trick in arrays is to use series/parallel wiring so that you can maintain a 4 or 8 ohm load on your amplifier.
              Nine drivers allows the array to have the same impedance as a single driver. You can't do that with eight drivers.
              Usually, but even two drivers gives the main benefits of an array, increased sensitivity and output with reduced vertical dispersion.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                Nine drivers allows the array to have the same impedance as a single driver. You can't do that with eight drivers.
                You got me Bill! Bah! :p This is true. Damn multiples of 3. The rest of the idea remains the same, where you need to be able to have matching series/parallel groupings.

Comment

Ok, so 6 then and a sub would give me a decent result sounds like.
                  I understand the series wiring implications. Thanks.

Any recommendations for good reasonable priced drivers here at PE?

Comment

The Fountek FE83 is $7, and the Vifa TC9 is $11 and slightly more suitable.

Here's a link to the FE83s. You'll want 25 (odd numbers are fine as long as they're the square of another number) per side, and it looks like stereo subs at 200hz are recommended (the RSS390 sounds reasonable.)

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...n-a-line-array

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                      The Fountek FE83 is $7, and the Vifa TC9 is $11 and slightly more suitable.
                      You'll want 25
                      Why so many?
                      it looks like stereo subs at 200hz
                      I wouldn't run subs higher than 100Hz, so I wouldn't do mains incapable of going to 100Hz.
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                        Why so many? I wouldn't run subs higher than 100Hz, so I wouldn't do mains incapable of going to 100Hz.
                        Less might work - the design in question uses 25.

As for stereo subs, they'd really be functioning more like woofers in this application - distortion starts to increase pretty heavily at 200hz, although you'd probably be correct that 100hz is far more appropriate for home theater use.

Comment

Full range line array for home theater fronts?

I have measured the tc9's and used them in one design. They sound fantastic but I would not run them below 200 or so for best distortion performance.

Comment

Bill F. has this design. There are cases of these old Sony speakers still available as well as bags of Onkyo tweeters. Why, I have some myself. A Bill F. forum member did a nine speaker version and was very pleased, IIRC.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/SLA.html

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                              Bill F. has this design. There are cases of these old Sony speakers still available as well as bags of Onkyo tweeters. Why, I have some myself. A Bill F. forum member did a nine speaker version and was very pleased, IIRC.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/SLA.html
                              A nine driver version would probably be the TLAH, not the SLA. Here's a recent example:
                              http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...p?f=30&t=22468
                              www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Working...
                              X