mini dsp users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini dsp users

When using it as a crossover do you simply select a xo type/point and then measure the outcome and tweak from there or can you import frequency response files?

Also how easy is it to get rid of peeks/dips in response?

I have never use active xo's and am wondering more about the design process involved when using one. The minidsp in particular.

Re: mini dsp users

Hello 'Killa'. Regarding the importation of frd data with Minidsp, and at the least on the 2x4 version I own, you may not import frd files with more than 331 points. What this means in practice is that you will likely need to employ smoothing on your measurements, to the order of either 6 points per octave(1/6th) or 12 points per octave(1/12th octave). I highly recommend you download/use Charlie Laub's excellent Active Crossover Designer software and/or the Advance Biquad Programming software. Links and more information for both are available on the Minidsp website, listed in the Advanced Tools column, under the Applications header. With some practice and patience, you should be able to take advantage of the Minidsp's many capabilities. I purchased my '2x4' board to use as a rapid development tool, to audition crossover points, etc., prior to building a finalized passive crossover. As well demonstrated by Linkwitz's LXmini speaker, and countless others, using the Minidsp in place of a passive network is eminently possible, to good effect. There is a bit of a learning curve, but isn't that almost always the case. Good luck though!

Comment

measure using Jeff B.'s methods as posted, in box. Load into the passive (includes active) xover designer. You have nearly infinite control with a miniDSP, but there's no automated system unless you pay a great deal of money.
      I am trolling you.

Comment

You can use REW's EQ feature to create exportable biquads that will work with the miniDSP. It's super easy, although might not help if you're only using the miniDSP to prototype a passive network.

Comment

I use Sound Easy to measure and then design active crossovers using the so called "F" component. Then I convert the F component filters to biquads and load into the miniDSP.
          John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Comment

Why not just buy the Umik-1 and do your own measurements in your own box? Adds $75 but the results will be better than using "borrowed" measurements.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/acou...urement/umik-1

REW is also free so no added cost there.
            "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by jonasz View Post
              Why not just buy the Umik-1 and do your own measurements in your own box? Adds $75 but the results will be better than using "borrowed" measurements.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/acou...urement/umik-1

REW is also free so no added cost there.
              I didn't say anything about borrowed measurements ;) I have an omnimic and can design a decent passive xo. I am just thinking it might be easier and cheaper to go active since I already have all the equipment except the minidsp.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                I didn't say anything about borrowed measurements ;) I have an omnimic and can design a decent passive xo. I am just thinking it might be easier and cheaper to go active since I already have all the equipment except the minidsp.
                Ok!
                Go for it, it will be a lot more fun experimenting and you're going to learn tons how different slopes and configurations sounds.
                "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                  It will be easier than expected.
                  "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...65#post2037265

This ASD-Lite program will control the ADAU1701, but it still has a ways to go before it is ready for release. Send me a PM if your are interested in working on this project.
                    Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Have you considered making a video to post on youtube, especially one demonstrating the DSP part? That would probably be of the most interest to possible users.

dlr
                      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

JohnK,

Hi John!! I still enjoy very much you NaO Note II RS I will post a full report of my build soon since it is somehow different from yours... I have a question about your technique for crossover building. How do you convert the "F" components in biquads??? I really like this approach since it is just like designing a conventional crossover, and you could use all the soundeasy tool to optimize the target!!!

J-P

Comment

Neil -

Sheesh, I have so little free time, I know better than to commit to any coding!

But, I really, really like you way you document pretty complex workflows.
                          I've seen a lot of inept drawings in a lot of applications.

One of these days I might try a miniDSP, but for my, it seems mostly useful for open baffle, and that's not in the works.

ASD looks awesome!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                            Have you considered making a video to post on youtube, especially one demonstrating the DSP part? That would probably be of the most interest to possible users.

dlr
                            If someone wants to evaluate ASD and is willing to give me some feedback, I can send them a piggyback board that they can use with their miniDSP. I made 3 more of them a while back, and I just need to program them and verify that they work.

This ASD project really needs to be done by a small team of developers, and I can't spend anywhere near the time on it that I would like. I'd like to see it evolve a lot quicker, but right now it is barely keeping up with chip obsolescence rates :(. And I keep getting distracted by new things I'd like the program to do, such as line arrays with multiple DSP's, or using the nice TI chips that have recently been introduced. So I'm starting to feel some frustration about getting this software "completed" and I'm fishing for ideas on how to get others involved without having to give away too much of my time investment.
                            Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

So after some more research I have a couple more questions. So do I really need a third party software to use a minidsp? Does the minidsp actually show measurements or response data and the affects of the changes made in the minidsp settings? I understand you can change things in real time but how can you tell what your changes are doing?

No offense to Charlie but his ACD program has a high learning curve for me and it just seems like a lot of trouble to use any of these third party programs to make filters and then import them to minidsp. Seems to me minidsp would be incomplete if it didn't allow you to do these things using minidsp's own software.

Comment

Working...
                              X