Amp chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp chassis

So I am in need of some relatively inexpensive 4RU tall, and at least 16inch deep amplifier chassis for some HAM amplifiers. Airflow most be front to back. Any one know a good place to get cheap cases like that? steel is fine, havent found anything the quite fits the bill on ebay etc.

Re: Amp chassis

You may not think these are "cheap", but I don't know that you will find anything much cheaper of comparable quality: http://www.par-metal.com

Comment

actually not too bad thanks! other suggestions welcome.

Comment

I think 1100xxben is pretty on the money. ParMetal doesn't seem cheap but I haven't found much in the way of better deals. Obviously you could build something out of wood and line it with some sheet metal if you really need metal for noise rejection or something.

ParMetal has their own ebay store, you might be able to get a slight discount using it.
        http://stores.ebay.com/Antek-inc

About the only other cheaper option I've seen relies on a bit of luck and that's find a dead amp that meets your specifications on line or at a thrift store, buy it cheap, gut it, and re-use it's chassis. I bought a broken prosound amp at a local thrift store for $20, which felt like a lot for a broken amp till I realized that if I ever build my own amp that the chassis with it's heat sink and connections will have been worth way more than that.

Comment

Good suggestion :D

RF amplifiers really need to be well shielded. Aluminum is best but steel works just dandy. I may look into the thrift option, though many are not that well put together.

Comment

Why not just pick up a rack? PE sells the angled ones, number 262-620. It should be pretty well shielded, it's metal. If you're worried about banging it around, just wrap the pup in carpet for transport. Even better use some cheap old school ply, glue on some carpet to the ply, and strap the whole Enchilada around the rack when transporting. Anybody involved in Pro-Gear knows all about Middle Atlantic racks. I always figured that if the Pros use the gear, it must work by definition. I once saw Sammy "The Red Rocket" Hagar using one for his own personal gear at the old Paramount theater. The theater is now a historic monument, but that''s another story. And yes, he did do "I Can't Drive 55." Go with the rack if you can afford it, it's a ready made solution. All the best, Mike

Comment

Working...
            X