Radio Shack blowout sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Shack blowout sale

Hey guys, I just spent less than a hundred bucks to buy just about every single connector, cap, diode, you name it at RS. They just put em' in boxes. Dudely even carried them out to car for me, with a HANDTRUCK! AFAIK the Tandy/Shack name will essentially become Sprint. YMMV in your local area, but the deal is there to be had for savvy guys like all of us who are cheap, but like good stuff. Wifey took one look, just about crapped until I showed her the receipt. "Put em' in the spare bedroom." OK, yes dear, you're right I'm wrong" takes the wind out of the sails pretty Quick. Have fun, all the best, Mike

Re: Radio Shack blowout sale

I just noticed one day that the one here was closed up. Bummer, would have been nice to help them liquidate that inventory, sounds like a good deal...
    Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
      I just noticed one day that the one here was closed up.
      There are locations that wouldn't sell much even at liquidation prices, so it makes more sense to close the doors and ship the inventory off to a higher traffic location.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Radio Shack closed down in Canada probably 10 years ago. They are now "The Source" and are basically a mini Future Shop.
        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

At my location it is marked as 30-70% off all over the front, but there are no marked discounts on store, so you can't tell what costs what.

Comment

Originally posted by longhorn64 View Post
            "put em' in the spare bedroom." ok, yes dear, you're right i'm wrong" takes the wind out of the sails pretty quick. Have fun, all the best, mike
            lol!!!
            ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see.’

Comment

Originally posted by bret191 View Post
              lol!!!
              Hey Bret, while trying to be humorous the post was originally just as info. Not that it is a secret. In the respect that these places are closing down, the average person probably doesn't realize that the world doesn't rotate around Best Buy or Costco. In my little small town this is a serious business loss. Losing the Shack is not good. I've said it before, go to Home Depot and ask for a Capacitor, a Transformer. You're usually talking to some school kid who is too busy picking his nose to even listen much less understand your question. Sad but true. Good luck, God Bless, In the Navy we always said "Fair Seas and Following Winds". A reference to the days when old ships had Sails. I was obviously a Captain of a Boat. All the ships in the Navy are called Ships, except for subs, they ARE STILL CALLED BOATS. Another quick note; we usually let the guys pick the music of the day from a kind of hat lottery. Whoever wins gets his music choices for the day. The working day on a boat is 18hrs, that's alot of music if you don't like the selections. The choices were so varied, in the course of a week you could go from Willie Nelson, to Tom Jones, Madonna, Hendrix, Joplin, the Ramones were so popular that they often got picked by other guys. In my humble opinion, it really just comes down to the Music. Why would you build a system if not to reproduce something YOU REALLY like? The goofy thing is that we all chase the music, the gear only reproduces it. God Bless, All The Best, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by LongHorn64 View Post
                Hey Bret, while trying to be humorous the post was originally just as info. Not that it is a secret. In the respect that these places are closing down, the average person probably doesn't realize that the world doesn't rotate around Best Buy or Costco. In my little small town this is a serious business loss. Losing the Shack is not good. I've said it before, go to Home Depot and ask for a Capacitor, a Transformer. You're usually talking to some school kid who is too busy picking his nose to even listen much less understand your question. Sad but true. Good luck, God Bless, In the Navy we always said "Fair Seas and Following Winds". A reference to the days when old ships had Sails. I was obviously a Captain of a Boat. All the ships in the Navy are called Ships, except for subs, they ARE STILL CALLED BOATS. Another quick note; we usually let the guys pick the music of the day from a kind of hat lottery. Whoever wins gets his music choices for the day. The working day on a boat is 18hrs, that's alot of music if you don't like the selections. The choices were so varied, in the course of a week you could go from Willie Nelson, to Tom Jones, Madonna, Hendrix, Joplin, the Ramones were so popular that they often got picked by other guys. In my humble opinion, it really just comes down to the Music. Why would you build a system if not to reproduce something YOU REALLY like? The goofy thing is that we all chase the music, the gear only reproduces it. God Bless, All The Best, Mike
                I think we get it Longhorn64...at least i do
                I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left ...

Comment

Originally posted by LongHorn64 View Post
                  Hey guys, I just spent less than a hundred bucks to buy just about every single connector, cap, diode, you name it at RS. They just put em' in boxes. Dudely even carried them out to car for me, with a HANDTRUCK! AFAIK the Tandy/Shack name will essentially become Sprint. YMMV in your local area, but the deal is there to be had for savvy guys like all of us who are cheap, but like good stuff. Wifey took one look, just about crapped until I showed her the receipt. "Put em' in the spare bedroom." OK, yes dear, you're right I'm wrong" takes the wind out of the sails pretty Quick. Have fun, all the best, Mike

The ones in the Olympia area are all on the "closing" list. I should get over to the Tumwater one and get some stuff!

John A.
                  "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                  Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                  Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                  Pioneer TX-9500 II
                  Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                  Statement Monitors
                  Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                  Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                  Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

I just dropped by the local Shack and nothing appeared to be different. No blowout sale to mention. The store employee was discussing with other people the plans for other stores etc. Just FYI if your store does have blowout sales, The SHACK has gone crazy with Adruino and Rasp Pi based tinker toys. There was a bunch of this stuff in the store I dropped by.

I just ordered my Adruino Uno from PE for $19, but if they close out the local SHACK I am going to stock up on the various add on pieces they had in stock.

Comment

About half of the shack stores are closing - not all. The first round of cuts (162 stores) ended today. The second round of 986 stores will be closed by 2/28. The final round of 636 stores will be closed by 3/31.

The complete store closing list can be found here:
                      http://www.businessinsider.com/radio...re-list-2015-2

With regards to Texas, many (most) of the stores in the Houston, DFW, and San Antonio metropolitan areas will be closed. Almost nothing is closing in the Austin area (only 2 stores - one in Buda and one in Round Rock).
                      DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                      The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                      The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                      The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                      AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by hipcheck View Post
                        I just ordered my Adruino Uno from PE for $19, but if they close out the local SHACK I am going to stock up on the various add on pieces they had in stock.
                        I just did that. Arduino kits, a BeagleBone kit, a bunch of Make's robotics kits, components, and a digital temperature controlled soldering iron. "But dear, it was half price and I'll teach the grandkids electronics."

So this weekend, my 8 y/o grandson wired up an LED, wrote his first Arduino program in C, and made the light flash. He was so excited, he couldn't sit. So was Grandpa. Yes, I am bragging.

-- Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougjohnson View Post
                          I just did that. Arduino kits, a BeagleBone kit, a bunch of Make's robotics kits, components, and a digital temperature controlled soldering iron. "But dear, it was half price and I'll teach the grandkids electronics."

So this weekend, my 8 y/o grandson wired up an LED, wrote his first Arduino program in C, and made the light flash. He was so excited, he couldn't sit. So was Grandpa. Yes, I am bragging. -- Doug
                          You should brag! An 8 yo who can program in "C" may well grow up to be the next Bill Gates, or Paul Allen. Or, or..... Jeez, In college I think I started with PASCAL, never really did figure it out. C was easier, I finally hit my stride in true hexadecimal Machine Language. I guess the math part actually made it easier to understand. Congrats Gram-pa, sounds like a heck of a kid. All the best, Mike

Comment

Radio Shack is also closing every store on Puerto Rico :/

Comment

The store near me is closing next week. I've already made 2 trips in and spent about $50 each trip on various components (resistors, caps, alligator clips, RCA connectors, BNC connectors, switches, relays, banana jacks and plugs, etc). They are selling all their display parts as well, and I'm tempted to make an offer on the component drawer storage units.

Comment

Working...
                              X