X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• innocent bystander
    replied
    Re: Hafler 300 opinions?

I have the big brother to the 300, the Model 400. Same basic configuration, a touch taller and wider with a rear facing 8" woofer. They were manufactured in 1989-1992 or so, along with a bookshelf model called the Model 200.

The sound certainly is sweet. I am driving them with Hafler XL-280 mono blocks. They DO love the power, but with all that overhead they really sing. I would put them on par with today's $1000 offerings, although I caveat that with the fact that they need power, gobs and gobs of power. I love them and have yet to hear anything (affordable) worth replacing them with... All these years later.

Incredible find at $100.

Leave a comment:

• johnhenry
    replied

hafler was purchased by rocford in 1987 so the speaker probably was made in the early 90's.

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

Originally posted by Stickboy2k View Post
    Yeah, I figure my ears ain't as good as they used to be, so maybe older speakers sound better to aged ears.

The fact that they still work and you're pleased with how the sound, a huge score for $100. Know the manufacture date? The things you want to listen to are the imaging, soundfield size and any width or depth you hear. Transparency of the soundfield is a telling characteristic...sitting in the sweet spot, close your eyes and see if the speakers "disappear". You shouldn't be able to locate the speakers, tell where they are. Just a good presentation of the imaging. A well-designed XO will exhibit these qualities, and a solidly built cabinet contributes much to each part of the experience. Since the cabinet and the "line" was designed for those woofers, their viability for a re-purpose would be limited without modifying the interior line/baffle.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• LongHorn64
    replied

Ok,
    So I picked up the Haflers this weekend. Wife wasn't thrilled but I knew that would happen.
    Anyway, they were not as pristine as I had originally thought. Some minor scuffs and scratches, but overall the drivers looked good and with a little TLC and maybe a refinishing job they should look nice.

Now the sound. As a newbie, I am starting to see the reality about speakers. These replaced a pair of Dayton 652 "AIR" speakers as fronts for my living room. Whether or not these Haflers are anywhere near as good as when they first hit the market I can only guess, but hearing them I can only compare this to going from a domestic wine to a fine french wine. I was astonished by the rich clarity and full sweet sound. When listening to speakers you really don't know what great speakers sound like until you actually hear them in your environment.

I am sure these aren't the best in the world, but they are more than good enough for me to be blown away and hopelessly addicted to great sound. $100 well spent.
    I like the part about "the wife wasn't thrilled." LMAO. You know my friend, you could start on the refinishing and just leave the drivers alone. Get em' (the Cabinets) looking all super spiffy and WAF goes way up. That gives you lots of time to get used to the speakers voice, so to speak. you may not change a thing, or you may go Bat-Crazy. Either way I'm interested in the build. I posted earlier that I didn't realize these were Transmission Line. Very, very cool in the scheme of things. My Father had an old saying he would whip out in cases like this; "Son, you didn't buy em', you STOLE 'em." Well said Dad. Carry on StickMan, if you were stickboy before now you're StickMan! Again, very cool score. All the best, Mike

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy2k
    replied

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
    Glad it worked out. It's always nice when decent old speakers end up in appreciative hands.

Francis
    Yeah, I figure my ears ain't as good as they used to be, so maybe older speakers sound better to aged ears.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied

Glad it worked out. It's always nice when decent old speakers end up in appreciative hands.

Francis

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy2k
    replied

Ok,
    So I picked up the Haflers this weekend. Wife wasn't thrilled but I knew that would happen.
    Anyway, they were not as pristine as I had originally thought. Some minor scuffs and scratches, but overall the drivers looked good and with a little TLC and maybe a refinishing job they should look nice.

Now the sound. As a newbie, I am starting to see the reality about speakers. These replaced a pair of Dayton 652 "AIR" speakers as fronts for my living room. Whether or not these Haflers are anywhere near as good as when they first hit the market I can only guess, but hearing them I can only compare this to going from a domestic wine to a fine french wine. I was astonished by the rich clarity and full sweet sound. When listening to speakers you really don't know what great speakers sound like until you actually hear them in your environment.

I am sure these aren't the best in the world, but they are more than good enough for me to be blown away and hopelessly addicted to great sound. $100 well spent.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy2k
    replied

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Yes, correct, just turn the volume down and put your ear next to each driver. You are listening for obvious defects. Again the cabinets are worth the money and this looks like a good design for a modern version/ remake.
    Thanks,

Picking these up this weekend and will post back my thoughts after I get over the spousal abuse.
    Thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

Yes, correct, just turn the volume down and put your ear next to each driver. You are listening for obvious defects. Again the cabinets are worth the money and this looks like a good design for a modern version/ remake.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy2k
    replied

Ok, so one quick stupid noob question.
    Lets say that I go to get them and I have him hook them up.
    Is there any way I can verify that all the drivers are putting out sound without any equiptment?
    Like play them on low volume and put my ear on each driver or something or am I being retarded?

Leave a comment:

• LongHorn64
    replied

I'm with John. The cabinets look pretty well built and are pretty darn snappy looking too. Certainly worth a hundred bucks just for the cabs. Me, I'd go all "Dayton" on them and buy the modern drivers. Just think of the driver possibilities. I'm fascinated by TL designs and hope to build one next. That looks like a really fun project, please keep us posted. All the best, Mike

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    A bit Dayton 8ish.

Great pics, thanks. Definitely not small. Any idea of the production year(s)? Can't be very old...for $100, I'd buy them even if the drivers were damaged, just so I could have the cabinets.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

A bit Dayton 8ish.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied

$100 sounds like a good deal, even if they need some attention. The cabinets alone are probably worth that.

Francis

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

Yes, I am sure I can, Probably can't listen before I buy.

Even a good visual inspection can show any deterioration with the cones or surrounds, or any discoloring, dents, etc. From that drawing I saw, looks to be a good, solid design.

John A.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X