Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this possible? Filter chokes as line conditioners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible? Filter chokes as line conditioners?

I stumbled across a thread about people using Crown Drivecore XLS 1500 amps for their mains. Since I'm also using the XLS series in both of my stereo setups I've read through a good bit of the thread with much disbelief.**

Is this even remotely possible? These guys are using Hammond 193M filter chokes from PE in parallel on their AC line and claiming profound differences. They aren't even connected to anything. I can't quite wrap my head around this. It reminds me of the Tice Clock. If anything, it looks like a major fire hazard.

** One of the members had an XLS 1500 cryogenically treated and is claiming it sounds 20% better, provided it's placed on wooden blocks. :eek: Of course, he has no measurements to back anything up.
    1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
    2: Computer > Schiit Übered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Re: Is this possible? Filter chokes as line conditioners?

Dunno. The chokes will short out any residual DC on the power line I guess, but I have no idea why that would be significant. I'll admit skepticism until somebody offers measurements and/or a coherent explanation.

Francis
    Francis

Comment

Originally posted by doctormorbius View Post
      I stumbled across a thread about people using Crown Drivecore XLS 1500 amps for their mains. Since I'm also using the XLS series in both of my stereo setups I've read through a good bit of the thread with much disbelief.**

Is this even remotely possible? These guys are using Hammond 193M filter chokes from PE in parallel on their AC line and claiming profound differences. They aren't even connected to anything. I can't quite wrap my head around this. It reminds me of the Tice Clock. If anything, it looks like a major fire hazard.

** One of the members had an XLS 1500 cryogenically treated and is claiming it sounds 20% better, provided it's placed on wooden blocks. :eek: Of course, he has no measurements to back anything up.
      Why would coming to a speaker forum give you any greater insight? There's plenty of info in old threads on Audio Circle and Audio Asylum and elsewhere with a little google searching.

Tice Clock?

Seriously?

Comment

Those wire nuts must really irk a cable guy like you. Does it hum? Yes, why are you mentioning this here?

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
          Why would coming to a speaker forum give you any greater insight? There's plenty of info in old threads on Audio Circle and Audio Asylum and elsewhere with a little google searching.

Tice Clock?

Seriously?
          Because frankly, I don't trust the stuff I've read on Audio Circle. This forum has a lot of level headed people that don't buy into snake oil. I hope it continues to stay that way.
          1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
          2: Computer > Schiit Übered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Because frankly, I don't trust the stuff I've read on Audio Circle. This forum has a lot of level headed people that don't buy into snake oil. I hope it continues to stay that way.
            Then your search for answers is already over. Have a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              Those wire nuts must really irk a cable guy like you. Does it hum? Yes, why are you mentioning this here?
              I'm not really a cable guy and I think you know that. I don't even play one on TV. But yes, those wire nuts are tacky.

Because I would like to know if this has any merit or if it's hogwash like so many other things I read about on audio forums, such as $1,500 power cables. An EE may be able to shed insight on this and I know there are a few on here.

Comment

This thread will have to wait until the global warming thread gets nuked. Not enough room for a global warming thread and an audiophile thread at the same time.

Comment

This thread will have to wait until the global warming thread gets nuked. Not enough room for a global warming thread and an audiophile thread at the same time.
                  djg, I just spit up my morning coffee all over my pj's, I was laughing so hard. Kids sledding in Texas, yup, global warming. All the best, Mike

Comment

We have plenty of bandwidth here for futile threads. Why, maybe speakerdesign will drop by to weigh in :rolleyes:

Francis
                    Francis

Comment

The Crowns minimal current draw makes them perfect amplifiers for these filters. This arrangement can damage amplifiers requiring high current, especially at turn on inrush.

Here is what is happening Patent

Before you even know what is happening .....it is snake oil. If you don't have direct experience with a product, your comments should be of inquiry not assumption and judgement.

Wushuliu is a long time member of this board and has demonstrated a high level of knowledge about things audio in the past. So I want to know what he has to say, not see his efforts to DIY a solution for making his system better belittled by people who haven't taken the time to Google Parallel Choke on AC
                      Last edited by DE Focht; 02-24-2015, 01:13 PM. Reason: More punishment
                      “Never ask people about your work.”
                      ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Originally posted by DE Focht View Post
                        The Crowns minimal current draw makes them perfect amplifiers for these filters. This arrangement can damage amplifiers requiring high current, especially at turn on inrush.

Here is what is happening Patent

Before you even know what is happening .....it is snake oil. If you don't have direct experience with a product, your comments should be of inquiry not assumption and judgement.

Wushuliu is a long time member of this board and has demonstrated a high level of knowledge about things audio in the past. So I want to know what he has to say, not see his efforts to DIY a solution for making his system better belittled by people who haven't taken the time to Google Parallel Choke on AC
                        If it sounds like I'm making a judgement call on the chokes in parallel, it's because I'm jaded from reading about silly tweaks promoted by so called audiophiles and members of other audio forums. PETT doesn't have such silliness so that's why I came here to ask rather than google looking for answers from other audio forums where such silliness exists.

Audio Circle that Wushuliu recommended and is also a member, is one such site. One member on that site placed his Crown XLS 1500 on cedar blocks with some NASA moon gel pads and placed a couple of small barbell plates on top. He had the audacity to claim that not only made his amp sound better but louder as well. I'm sorry if I can't get get on board with crap like that, but that dude is just plain nuts if he thinks that makes any difference. I wonder how much better he thinks his amp sounds during a full moon or the summer solstice?

And thank you for berating me. I hope it makes you feel good.

Comment

Doctor, when I called you a "cable guy", I wasn't implying you had magical beliefs. Just that you made some nice well made innovative cables and shared them here.

Comment

I'll play devil's advocate here, and note that the existence of a patent does not necessarily indicate that something is effective.

Francis
                            Francis

Comment

Doctor, when I called you a "cable guy", I wasn't implying you had magical beliefs. Just that you made some nice well made innovative cables and shared them here.
                              Oh, I know you were joking. And I will never claim that my DIY cables have any magic to them. They sound every bit as good as lamp cord. :D Once I did make some preposterous claims, but that was all in jest of the claims made by the boutique cable manufacturers.

Industry titans like Ken Kantor and Arny Krueger solved the speaker cable mystery a long time ago. I just can't imagine how it still persists.

Comment

Working...
                              X