Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aarond
    replied
    I was doing a search for something else and came across this post. Amazing how far we've come in 6 years. Extrusion printers have come a long way as well. For $200 there isn't much reason why most kids can't have an Ender 3 which is a fairly capable machine.

https://phrozen3d.com/products/sonic...39634923094203

Leave a comment:

• TN Allen
    replied
    Re: Leap in 3D printing technique

Wouldn't a printer that "grows" wood fiber to design be great?

Leave a comment:

• spasticteapot
    replied

Originally posted by DanP View Post
    Cost of operation could change my tune on this, but I have a feeling this will be in the industrial cost range, not the hobbyist range.

Dan
    Printers of similar design are creeping down to the ~$1,000 level. My hackerspace is looking at one. And for things with inclusions or hollow shapes, it's a hell of a lot easier than a mill.

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
    I'm not so sure. Extrusion printers - at least, the ones mere mortals like me have access to - have substantially greater issues with uneven cooling warping the output. While the resin is significantly more expensive than a spool of PLA, the ability to produce a high-quality positive or negative mold of great size is ideal for small production runs. Waveguides, for example...
    If mere mortals can afford this machine and the resin (I doubt that will be the case - I don't think they're competing with extrusion printers), it could be a great jump forward for the hobbyist. I still can't see it being a game changer for the additive manufacturing industry though, nor the production industry.

Basically, if you need a part in an hour instead of tomorrow this could be a big deal - medical procedures requiring immediate custom implants could potentially benefit from this technology. If you can wait until tomorrow, there are already great options. If you need hundreds to hundreds of thousands of parts, there are already great options. Cost of operation could change my tune on this, but I have a feeling this will be in the industrial cost range, not the hobbyist range.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• spasticteapot
    replied

Originally posted by DanP View Post
    It looks like the real innovation here is that the light does not directly cure the resin, but catalyzes a chemical reaction at the resin/air interface. This reaction seems to take place at a much faster rate than the previous curing action (either by laser scan or DLP projection), thus increasing the speed of the process quite a bit. I don't see anything that would make this a game changer in the additive manufacturing industry, nor the mass production industry, but it is a pretty novel step forward in speed and probably part surface quality.

Dan
    I'm not so sure. Extrusion printers - at least, the ones mere mortals like me have access to - have substantially greater issues with uneven cooling warping the output. While the resin is significantly more expensive than a spool of PLA, the ability to produce a high-quality positive or negative mold of great size is ideal for small production runs. Waveguides, for example...

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

Originally posted by michiganpat View Post
    not really new, it looks like a variation of Stereolithography with the platform coming out of the vat instead of dropping into the vat.....
    It looks like the real innovation here is that the light does not directly cure the resin, but catalyzes a chemical reaction at the resin/air interface. This reaction seems to take place at a much faster rate than the previous curing action (either by laser scan or DLP projection), thus increasing the speed of the process quite a bit. I don't see anything that would make this a game changer in the additive manufacturing industry, nor the mass production industry, but it is a pretty novel step forward in speed and probably part surface quality.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• UGP
    replied

Yeah I was thinking about building one with the spare dlp projector and my cnc but gave my projector to my sister, so it kind of has been on the back burner for the past year

Leave a comment:

• michiganpat
    replied

not really new, it looks like a variation of Stereolithography with the platform coming out of the vat instead of dropping into the vat.....

Leave a comment:

• Pallas
    replied
    Leap in 3D printing technique

HuffPo and Vox are very different in terms of their intellectual depth. The former is mostly just a mouthpiece, but the latter is much more thoughtful. (While I consider Matt a friend and briefly met Ezra a few times, I think that's an objective read of the two sites.)

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
    You're reading Vox now, Pete?

That's a pretty decent first step to recovery.

I read Huffpo too . . . just to see what the asylum is like. ;)

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    Wow. O_o
    Yeah- WOW!!!!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by Pallas View Post

Has to get his counter attack ready :rolleyes: :D

Leave a comment:

• Pallas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Wow. O_o

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    started a topic Leap in 3D printing technique

Leap in 3D printing technique

Inspired by Terminator 2 . . .

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/16/8227627...uid-continuous

Working...