No announcement yet.

O.T. at first I thought what a joke...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. at first I thought what a joke...

Then I thought I could be laughing all the way to the bank.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rce=newsletter
    David

Re: O.T. at first I thought what a joke...

Scotty beam me up for some of those pancakes!

Comment

Kickstarter is a neat concept, I wish I'd have thought of it. But it isn't an investment, you don't necessarily buy into ownership of the project. For example, I think on this one all you'd get for your $2k donation is a PancakeBot with a plaque on it. Not sure what these will retail for, but I don't see many selling at $2k/machine.

Another example is this watch on Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...FQsAaQodIqoAnA

Basically for you donation of $91 USD, you get one of their watches. For your donation of $165 USD, you get 2 of their watches. I've never heard of them before, and all you can do is take their word on the quality. $91 isn't a bad price if you consider how much a Tag or even a Tissot watch is, but you can get a lot of quartz watches for less than that (like a Fossil, which is a nice looking and well made watch).
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
        Kickstarter is a neat concept, I wish I'd have thought of it. But it isn't an investment, you don't necessarily buy into ownership of the project. For example, I think on this one all you'd get for your $2k donation is a PancakeBot with a plaque on it. Not sure what these will retail for, but I don't see many selling at $2k/machine.

Another example is this watch on Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...FQsAaQodIqoAnA

Basically for you donation of $91 USD, you get one of their watches. For your donation of $165 USD, you get 2 of their watches. I've never heard of them before, and all you can do is take their word on the quality. $91 isn't a bad price if you consider how much a Tag or even a Tissot watch is, but you can get a lot of quartz watches for less than that (like a Fossil, which is a nice looking and well made watch).
        Oh no not an investment. Think you mistake what its about, most will know it basically a preorder system, I haven't seen any projects that say your investing. But like anything of this nature you are taking a risk of either loosing money or getting something that is not up to expectations.
        Idk, but this one seams to be off to a good start, seeing how many have been preordered... That's another risk... Heard about some products that are way behind delivery as they get a lot more ordered then expected.
        David

Comment

OK, so when I saw the fact that they've already skyrocketed WAAAY past their original goal of $50,000, and are at $300,000+ I was just baffled and laughing at the same time.

But then I realized I was looking at it wrong. If you picture this for home use; it's hilarious. If you picture it in a restaurant kitchen, you're like, "OF COURSE! It's brilliant!" On the other hand, I don't understand how you could possibly have your pancake design cook evenly, given how fast pancakes cook on a griddle, and the time it takes to move around on a CNC.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Now a restaurant can charge $10+ for 1 custom designed (by you) pancake. Not to bad considering it could pay itself off in a few months and make a good profit margarine (PUN INTENDED) from then on.

Comment

Butter be careful with those puns.
              "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
              ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I always expect my pancakes to be 4.000 +/-.005

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
                  Butter be careful with those puns.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                    OK, so when I saw the fact that they've already skyrocketed WAAAY past their original goal of $50,000, and are at $300,000+ I was just baffled and laughing at the same time.

But then I realized I was looking at it wrong. If you picture this for home use; it's hilarious. If you picture it in a restaurant kitchen, you're like, "OF COURSE! It's brilliant!" On the other hand, I don't understand how you could possibly have your pancake design cook evenly, given how fast pancakes cook on a griddle, and the time it takes to move around on a CNC.
                    Exactly my thinking also, must be resultant owners buying them.
                    Though without any load a belt driven CNC can be incredibly quick. Think I have mine setup for 600 ipm, but I've Seen them at 1900 or more, of course you have the remp speeds to consider.
                    David

Comment

What the
                      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
                        What the
                        No, those are raisins in that pancake.

Comment

Originally posted by mike s View Post
                          No, those are raisins in that pancake.
                          Rabbit raisins?
                          ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Only if this thing can print pancakes, and small buns, as in bunnys.

Who called pancakes Hotscakes?

Comment

And the answer is, Lisa Douglas of Green Acers

Comment

Working...
                              X