Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Audio CHN-70 - Would you even bother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Audio CHN-70 - Would you even bother?

So I was looking for a small driver to pair with the Beston RT001A, and I've always wanted to try a Mark Audio driver. I picked up a pair of the newish CHN-70 paper cones, because the specs were decent, and there's very few drivers that can reach up to 4k, which is what's needed when dealing with these silly planar drivers.:p Anyway, not sure I can deal with the frequency response, which is WAY off of the manufacturers data. I built an enclosure for these according to Mark Audio's recommendations, and took some measurements in a fairly acoustically "dead" room with a measurement mic at 3'. Not sure I can deal with this driver. Measurements were done using a sine sweep. I've never measured a driver that has such an extreme rising response. Not sure I should even try to make a 2-way out of this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark Audio.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	1192023
    Eric L.

Re: Mark Audio CHN-70 - Would you even bother?

Hi brkitup,

The Mark Audio drivers are notorious for being far from manufacturer's specs. They actually aren't to far off, but he scales the db range so wide it's impossible to read fairly. Often a 100db or more scale height. If you're a member on diyaudio you can see lots of chatter on the subject that happened within the last month. Mark got so ****** off he pulled the plug on diyaudio and no longer has a commercial forum there. He consistently claimed DIY'ers can't properly measure his drivers often citing his masters degree in mech eng.

Anyways, I am not surprised you don't find your results acceptable. I would suggest you try to improve your measurements as an indoor RTA isn't all that great. Despite this, I'd shelve those drivers and move on to a better driver. There are actually quite a few drivers that can do what you're looking for.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
      Hi brkitup,

The Mark Audio drivers are notorious for being far from manufacturer's specs. They actually aren't to far off, but he scales the db range so wide it's impossible to read fairly. Often a 100db or more scale height. If you're a member on diyaudio you can see lots of chatter on the subject that happened within the last month. Mark got so ****** off he pulled the plug on diyaudio and no longer has a commercial forum there. He consistently claimed DIY'ers can't properly measure his drivers often citing his masters degree in mech eng.

Anyways, I am not surprised you don't find your results acceptable. I would suggest you try to improve your measurements as an indoor RTA isn't all that great. Despite this, I'd shelve those drivers and move on to a better driver. There are actually quite a few drivers that can do what you're looking for.
      Thanks for the response. I actually did read a little about that issue with Mark. These drivers wouldn't be bad a mid-tweets, but that's not what I was looking for. Tested both drivers, and the results are identical. I didn't mention that I'd like to use a driver that doesn't require flush-mounting, and that's one of the things that appealed to me about the CHN-70s. The little Fountek drivers are great at going high, as well as the small Tang-Band drivers, but I wanted to use something out of the ordinary. I really believe I've looked at every driver on the market, and nothing out there fits all my criteria. Oh well, there are worse things in life.
      Eric L.

Comment

They are not all created equal but the 70, I wouldn't bother with. Look at the CSD and distortions in the pass-band.
        http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

As Roman says above, I don't think we can dismiss the entire driver line. I tested the MarkAudio 6P (paper cone version) a while back and posted results on here. It was a nice driver. Others have used some as midranges in builds to good success. That said the CHN-70 is "low cost" as the manufacturer says and it sure looks like corners were cut. I'd move onto something else given that response personally.
          Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
          Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

"Full range" driver with what looks like a nice breakup peak at 5.6khz... No thanks. Check out the TC9FD18.
            http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

The CHN-70 was custom designed for a niche in the Japanese market. It has a very different FR and indeed sound from any of the other MA 70mm driver. Why on earth Madisound choose to import this driver is beyond my comprehension. The CHR-70 or CHP-70 are comparably priced and much more "normal" for occidentals. I personally much prefer the far more expensive A7.3, the A7P not so much.

Bob

Comment

These might do the trick, http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=doritos
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Maybe you can see something over there that I can't...but the whole MA area was wiped clean except for the good bye thread and a new that was started today. Did everything get lumped into the fullrange driver section?

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
                  Hi brkitup,

Comment

Originally posted by winslow View Post
                    Maybe you can see something over there that I can't...but the whole MA area was wiped clean except for the good bye thread and a new that was started today. Did everything get lumped into the fullrange driver section?
                    Mark Fenlon has been recovering from colon cancer. During his recovery, he was constantly hounded by a troll and a few sock puppets bent on destroying Mark's reputation. In the end Mark essentially said "Stick it...." to diyaudio and canceled his contract. Most if not all of the threads posted on the Mark Audio subforum are lost. An effort to revive some of that information has so far not produced, and I doubt if it will.

Bob
                    Last edited by Bob Brines; 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM.

Comment

It's a shame things like that happen. I've heard a couple of his drivers used in multiway speakers and they sounded quite good.
                      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                        It's a shame things like that happen. I've heard a couple of his drivers used in multiway speakers and they sounded quite good.
                        No doubt!
                        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                          As an ex-MA fanboy, I would agree. If I took the time I bet I could pull up over a 100 posts of me recommending his drivers, on various forums. What bothered me was his insistence that DIY'ers could not objectively evaluate his drivers as our microphones were to cheap, software incapable, and measurements locations non-anechoic. On top of that he would constantly edit or delete my posts in his forum if they did not agree with him, despite being polite. Such as suggesting that outdoors on a 10ft ladder (with a photo to prove it) would provide good data down to 100hz ---- DELETE. If I mentioned that I loved the A7 but didn't like the A10 and measurements seemed to show me why ---- DELETE. That sort of thing. Him throwing his M.Sc. in Mech Eng at me was just icing on his rudeness cake. I'm not sure who the troll and sock puppets are that Bob refers to. Maybe me, I wouldn't know. I did however post my measurements and offer to improve them in any way Mark requested (which of course he did not chose to partake, just criticised instead).
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Ryan,

i have seen your posts, nothing wrong with it, i thought it is very informative for the members and i think its a bad practice to delete your posts.

there are few members there that continues to challenge him, i thought most of them are pretty reasonable because of the way Mark respond to it.

If he was forthcoming from the beginning and fair for the forum members, i don't think the thread will become like that.

Comment

Do we really need to rehash this here? It is a dead issue.

To the OP. No, I would not even bother with the CHN-70. I have a pair. They are "in your face", not real top, and the bottom one should expect from a 4" driver.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X