How can I switch 1 source to two amps/receivers to 1 set of speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I switch 1 source to two amps/receivers to 1 set of speakers

Ok I know it sounds odd but I'd like to conduct some kind of listening test where I can, while having the music play, switch between two amps or receivers and have the output go to the same set of speakers? If I can do this via a remote, that would be good. I've seen plenty of speaker switch boxes but that doesn't help me. Neither does an input selector because the speakers wont switch over.

Its basically something to switch between two amps which have been adjusted to the same volume level and seeing if there is much or if any audible difference between the amps themselves. Better if a friend connects the inputs and doesn't tell you what you're switching between (ie source 1 or 2). Any help appreciated.

Bad diagram provided.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1192108

Re: How can I switch 1 source to two amps/receivers to 1 set of speakers

Originally posted by contoursvt View Post
    Ok I know it sounds odd but I'd like to conduct some kind of listening test where I can, while having the music play, switch between two amps or receivers and have the output go to the same set of speakers? If I can do this via a remote, that would be good. I've seen plenty of speaker switch boxes but that doesn't help me. Neither does an input selector because the speakers wont switch over.

Its basically something to switch between two amps which have been adjusted to the same volume level and seeing if there is much or if any audible difference between the amps themselves. Better if a friend connects the inputs and doesn't tell you what you're switching between (ie source 1 or 2). Any help appreciated.

Bad diagram provided.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56553[/ATTACH]
    I can sell you my QSC ABX Comparator

$300? or maybe you have some extra speaker parts we can trade, I need subwoofers 12" Peerless XLS Quality , Morel EM1308 Midranges? Hiquphon Tweeters?
    SEAS Excel W16NX-001 4 ohm, Dayton Speaker boxes .25cuft and .38cuft pairs. Let me know.
    “Never ask people about your work.”
    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Copy the source to both amps with a simple Y connector. It's not the "best" method possible, but it will work for 99.9% of the reasons you might want to do this.

Then, build something like my A/B switcher:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ntrol+switcher

You would connect the speakers to the common connector and each amp to the A or B connectors. I could consider loaning this to you or selling it if needed.
      DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
      The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
      The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
      The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
      AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Thanks guys. Actually I'm kind of interested in that QSC unit. Might definitely do the trick. PM sent

Comment

Couldn't you get a 3 or 6 channel Adcom speaker selector, except use the "in" on the selector as the "out" to the speakers, then run one amp to "A", and the other amp to "B"? You can get those selectors on eBay for less than $30 usually. You would need 2 preamps going this route.
          "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
          "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Hmm never thought of that, but I think I will try the QSC item and see how it goes

Comment

Working...
            X