Center Channel help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Channel help

Hey fellow Tech talkers! This is my first post but I have to say I've been reading of of yours for years and have gotten a lot of help and information. For that, thank you.
    I have found a TL design that involves two of my most favorite raw drivers ever. The Dayton DC 160s and the Dayton DC28FS-8.
    I found this sight by accident by Googling my favorite way; scrolling through pictures. It is http://regalianox.com/links/transmis...n_6_woofer.pdf
    I built them and they sound incredible. My question to all of you is do you think the same crossover and combination would work in a ported enclosure with I.D. of 22.5 w 6.25 h 10 d (inches) 2 2" ports, as a center channel and match the L+R sound profile? I really like these speakers and have already bought them :-) . I have not built the box yet. Looking for any help. Thanks

Re: Center Channel help

Just keep in mind that if you are going to arrange the drivers horizontally, that you will have some off axis issues due to wave interference.

As for the box tuning....another option is to just build a sealed box for the center channel, and use your receiver to high pass around 100-120 Hz. I did this with my setup since my towers extend to 30 Hz (no sub for me), so the receiver just sends the center channel data below 120 Hz data to the towers.

I also built my center channel with vertically arranged drivers to prevent the wave cancellation. Something to consider at least.

Comment

Here's an oldie using those drivers. Don't know about on its side, it was designed as a stereo pair years ago. The Tritrix with same tweeter and 5 1/4 " classic woofers would likely be compatible.

http://web.archive.org/web/200802140...D3/dayton3.htm
      Last edited by djg; 04-14-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

He is using a Dave Brown design. DB616TL. My first build as well, and I am still enjoying them. I keep threatening to build bigger, but then "what do I do with these"...
        If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

I kinda thought that was familiar, didn't Dave Brown have a variety of designs? Maybe he did a center channel.

Aha.

https://sites.google.com/a/dslextrem.../home/speakers

https://sites.google.com/a/dslextrem...peakers/db616c

Comment

Originally posted by the kid View Post
            He is using a Dave Brown design. DB616TL. My first build as well, and I am still enjoying them. I keep threatening to build bigger, but then "what do I do with these"...
            The kid, you are amazing. I've looked for other sources of this speaker and have never found anything except the regalianox site. Thanks for the name to refer to. As I've already bought the parts I'm going to stick with them. I modeled the box in WinISD and it seems promising. I was looking for opinions on how you guys felt about the x-over and positioning. I had planned on setting the tweeter off center on the Z-axis. As of now I use a couple of the Vifa TD19F-8 in a sealed box with a powered sub (2 GRS 6.5s with a Bash 300 in a TL) for my center channel. The results were surprisingly pleasant. The sound just doesn't match though. The DB616TL sound light and transparent and the Vifa based center is, well, beamy... Sounds good but off axis it all highs seem to disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              I kinda thought that was familiar, didn't Dave Brown have a variety of designs? Maybe he did a center channel.

Aha.

https://sites.google.com/a/dslextrem.../home/speakers

https://sites.google.com/a/dslextrem...peakers/db616c

djg Thank you! I'm going to explore this center channel design further.

Comment

And this one two.

http://www.parts-express.com/project...nd-curts-unicc

This writeup has incomplete info.
                Last edited by djg; 04-15-2015, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Peculiar thing, you state that you used the shielded 6.5" "Classic" and the shielded "Silky", BUT . . . the schemo. you posted specifically calls out the unshielded vers. of these drivers: the 275-070, and 295-305.

I modeled the schemo. you linked to using the shielded drivers, and the FR curve COULD be better (I already designed one).

So, WHICH drivers did you buy for your CC, and which did you use with THAT XO for your TLs? Where we go from here depends on your answers.

Comment

I bought the unshielded versions for the CC. L+R I bought shielded woofers, but the tweeter is unshielded. May have been a mistake on my part. I have since replaced a few of the woofers with unshielded versions as the shielding on the woofers had loosened and rattled something fierce. I figured no need for shielding with my LED tv. I'm interested to see what you have changed about the XOs.

Comment

Same topology as your L/Rs, but different component values.

HP (high pass): 8uF series cap, 0.60mH shunt coil to gnd. (DCR near 0.7n - ohms), L-pad: SR = 2n, PR = 40n. Normal polarity on tweeter.
                      LP: 0.70mH series coil (about 0.6n DCR), 25uF shunt cap, and a Zobel using 66uF and 5 ohms.

Orig. XO ran around 87dB, w/lots of phase "issues" between 2.5k and 3.5kHz, w/quite a dip near 3k.

New XO also runs around 87dB, w/a tad over +4dBSC, crossing around 1.7kHz, in a cleaner manner. Lower Fc should be better for a horizontal MTM (for a CC).

Your 0.8cf vented box is good to go, but a pair of 2"id x 2" long vents will sound horrible (tuned to a bit under 80Hz), w/over +6dB of gain between 80-100Hz.
                      A single 2-1/2"id x 8" long vent will tune it to 40Hz, and will avoid the 80Hz "boom".

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        Same topology as your L/Rs, but different component values.

HP (high pass): 8uF series cap, 0.60mH shunt coil to gnd. (DCR near 0.7n - ohms), L-pad: SR = 2n, PR = 40n. Normal polarity on tweeter.
                        LP: 0.70mH series coil (about 0.6n DCR), 25uF shunt cap, and a Zobel using 66uF and 5 ohms.

Orig. XO ran around 87dB, w/lots of phase "issues" between 2.5k and 3.5kHz, w/quite a dip near 3k.

New XO also runs around 87dB, w/a tad over +4dBSC, crossing around 1.7kHz, in a cleaner manner. Lower Fc should be better for a horizontal MTM (for a CC).

Your 0.8cf vented box is good to go, but a pair of 2"id x 2" long vents will sound horrible (tuned to a bit under 80Hz), w/over +6dB of gain between 80-100Hz.
                        A single 2-1/2"id x 8" long vent will tune it to 40Hz, and will avoid the 80Hz "boom".
                        Thanks Chris. Ill try this.
                        As far as the Lpad SR=2n PR=40n... does this represent 2Ω series and 40Ω parallel? I really appreciate all the jhelp and I apologize for any ignorance. I'm a carpenter who built his first sub box when I was 14 and have this low WAF obsession with speakers. I've only recently gotten into WinISD. I'm still trying to get the hang of x-overs. So much to learn! I was going to get Crossover Pro and Bass Box Pro, but... I have a Mac. Maybe I'll add Parallels someday.

Comment

I've also been toying around with this design for a box based on Browns designs
                          Attached Files

Comment

Cowboy, I'm really liken' the design, but also the software. Very slick Brother, very slick. I figure I could have FUN with the speaker AND the software (:->) It looks to me like you're well on your way already. All the best, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by LongHorn64 View Post
                              Cowboy, I'm really liken' the design, but also the software. Very slick Brother, very slick. I figure I could have FUN with the speaker AND the software (:->) It looks to me like you're well on your way already. All the best, Mike
                              Hey thanks Mike! I love to toy around with designs. Scratch it out on paper then perfect it in Google SketchUp. BTW if you like the software I sell it.... J/K it's a free download. Fairly easy to learn to use.

Comment

Working...
                              X