Why do i need this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do i need this?

So at Axpona I came across a guy selling Douglas fir wire things to keep your speaker wire off the floor. I didn't even ask why one would want them. Then I ended up in a room where a older gent was talking about his companies wires and such but then it turned to these same items. He explained that vibrations from the floor would interfere with sound quality in the wire. I'm all for this trend as my whole house is made with Douglas fir... And the #1 kind, so I could charge more. So any pre- orders?

I am going with hokum, but any truth to this theory?

Re: Why do i need this?

"There's a sucker born every minute" - David Hannum

Comment

Originally posted by kanemack View Post
      So at Axpona I came across a guy selling Douglas fir wire things to keep your speaker wire off the floor. I didn't even ask why one would want them. Then I ended up in a room where a older gent was talking about his companies wires and such but then it turned to these same items. He explained that vibrations from the floor would interfere with sound quality in the wire. I'm all for this trend as my whole house is made with Douglas fir... And the #1 kind, so I could charge more. So any pre- orders?

Absolutely true! Did he also mention that all speaker cables attaching to a speaker containing a tweeter should be red to improve the transfer of high frequencies. A hotter color will do that!:rolleyes:
      “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

So at Axpona I came across a guy selling Douglas fir wire things to keep your speaker wire off the floor.
        A great example of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, now if they could only come up with a device to keep audio components off the floor....
        Paul O

Comment

Actually you want vibrations in the wire. As copper wire is not pure copper, the vibrations and create additional dislocations in the metal structure. Those dislocations will dissipate the stray magnetic fields (eddy currents) reducing the magnetic field saturation at high power.

The reduction in the ability of the wire to retain magnetization when transmitting a music signal is called hysteresis. Hysteriesis can cause energy losses in the wire. Therefore wire with low hysteresis is preferable.

I hope to begin offering low hysteresis wire in the near future once the lawyers clear up a small patent infringement lawsuit. ;)
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
            Actually you want vibrations in the wire. As copper wire is not pure copper, the vibrations and create additional dislocations in the metal structure. Those dislocations will dissipate the stray magnetic fields (eddy currents) reducing the magnetic field saturation at high power.

The reduction in the ability of the wire to retain magnetization when transmitting a music signal is called hysteresis. Hysteriesis can cause energy losses in the wire. Therefore wire with low hysteresis is preferable.

I hope to begin offering low hysteresis wire in the near future once the lawyers clear up a small patent infringement lawsuit. ;)
            You lost me at "Actually"...
            Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
            ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
            LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
            Sonata Soundbar Project
            The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Kenny, Please bring parts of your house to Sioux Falls.
              Thank you.
              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Douglas fir is fine for that as long as it is vertical grain and the bollocks are oriented so the grain is running parallel with the wire. Otherwise it's a complete waste. I've seen similar things made of quarter sawn oak, which is bad. All those rays right next to your wires? What did they thik would happen? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I use wine glasses I pick up at thrift stores for fifty cents each or so because I think it looks cool. I put lead shot in every third one, about half full, to cut down on the resonance. Some people use marbles or sand but nothing beats lead as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                  You lost me at "Actually"...
                  Thanks, you can be part of the investor group...
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I thought you elevated the wire to not interfere with dust bunny migrations.
                    Never ask people about your work.
                    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

^ That's the first sensible use for these I've heard.
                      My modest builds:
                      Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                      Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                      Armadillo Center Channel
                      Au-Rock-O Sub
                      Tarkus
                      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

I tried them once but they only helped improve the sound quality when listening to music with woodwind instruments and for Woody Allen movies.
                        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

You'll only hear a difference with cable elevators once you'll installed time- and directionally-aligned cables, and of course you need the best golden ears to hear the difference. But then it's night and day ;)
                          Francis

Comment

Such disparagement. May i suggest a cable elevator shootout at the next diy gathering? True triple blind methodology.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

I think this is my favorite post ever.
                              DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                              The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                              The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                              The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                              AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X