Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody make a true 8 inch diameter Hi Fi woofer any more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody make a true 8 inch diameter Hi Fi woofer any more?

Seems like most available today for DIY'rs are a little over 8 inch diameter or a little under, but not exactly 8 inch.
    Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Re: Does anybody make a true 8 inch diameter Hi Fi woofer any more?

Do you mean the outer frame or the cone?
    "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

outside of the frame.

Comment

Well, you know some people have gone metric. The Dayton DC200-8 is 8.07" (205 mm) outer Dia. Probably as close as you'll get.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-310

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          Well, you know some people have gone metric. The Dayton DC200-8 is 8.07" (205 mm) outer Dia. Probably as close as you'll get.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-310
          I'm trying to find a woofer that will fit flush down into an existing baffle board rebated shelf. The Dayton would fit but one look and FR and I'd say it doesn't qualify as a HIFI driver.

Comment

I just knew you were going to say that. Being well on the way to deafness, I enjoyed my Dayton 8s.
            Attached Files

Comment

The Peerless 830869 is 8.07" across the flats, if that does you any good:

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ifications.pdf
              Francis

Comment

Doesn't Scan still sell the old Vifa P21?
                --
                "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  I just knew you were going to say that. Being well on the way to deafness, I enjoyed my Dayton 8s.
                  Nice looking project. What's that white material on the front?

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
                    Doesn't Scan still sell the old Vifa P21?
                    For that woofer, Madisound's site is showing an OD of 21.5 CM. That's almost 8.5 inches. My max is 8.06 (20.5 CM).

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                      The Peerless 830869 is 8.07" across the flats, if that does you any good:

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ifications.pdf
                      My rebate is round and only accept up to 20.5 CM. The peerless has an OD of 22.5 CM - no go.

I'm looking at the SS 18W/4531G00 @ 18.2 CM. I'd have to surface mount it on an adapter board. There is some concern about diffraction but the edges at the OD of that SS woofer are nicely rounded over. Still might work though. It's got most everything else I want.
                      Anyone paired this woofer with a Dayton RS28F-4 tweeter in a design?

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                        Nice looking project. What's that white material on the front?
                        Well, it's a light gray actually. A bit lighter than I had envisioned. It's 1/2" mdf over the 3/4" cab material, painted with Rustoleum textured paint. Matching base.

Comment

Silver Flute W20?
                          http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Jay wins. 203 mm cutout. 7.99213"

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...m-8-wool-cone/

Comment

HiVi F6 is close at 195.5 mm. Great midrange quality, would be easy to integrate with the RS28f. Won't have the bass of the Scan 18W, but won't have the price either.
                              Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Working...
                              X