Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is a masterpiece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is a masterpiece

I think more than any other recording in my arsenal, "The Wall" stands out as a masterpiece. The quality of the underlying works and the performances thereof, along with the exceptional recording (everything is bang-on, from vocals to piano to stringed instruments), put it head and shoulders above anything else I've got in the rock genre.

What about you? What is your masterpiece?

Re: Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is a masterpiece

Originally posted by philthien View Post
    I think more than any other recording in my arsenal, "The Wall" stands out as a masterpiece. The quality of the underlying works and the performances thereof, along with the exceptional recording (everything is bang-on, from vocals to piano to stringed instruments), put it head and shoulders above anything else I've got in the rock genre.

What about you? What is your masterpiece?
    Radiohead - OK Computer

Re: The Wall. It also helps that the recent remaster from a few years ago makes the album sound better than it ever has. DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall are all masterpieces in my book and it's hard to believe all done by the same band.

Comment

Luther Wright and the Wrongs did a great cover of the whole album titled "Rebuild the Wall".

Ron
      C-Note Iron Driver Build
      The Lydias
      The Cherry π's
      The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
      My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

The Wall is my favorite album of all time and Pink Floyd doesn't even make it in my top 50 favorite bands. No other album that I've heard is so cohesive a movement and so evoking of emotion. You are right - it is a masterpiece.

Dan
        The Hurricanes
        The Baronettes
        Conneccentric
        UX3

Comment

Another vote for The Wall. Great great piece.

Comment

I like all of the above but if I had to choose just one album as my favorite, I think it would have to be Thick As A Brick.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
              Luther Wright and the Wrongs did a great cover of the whole album titled "Rebuild the Wall".

Ron
              Neat stuff, not on Spotify.

Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by richard t View Post
                I like all of the above but if I had to choose just one album as my favorite, I think it would have to be Thick As A Brick.
                I like your thinking. Passion Play is another Tull masterpiece.
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The WHO; "Tommy", "Quadraphenia" , both masterpieces in my book.

Comment

Aqua barbie girl... That is all.

Comment

I love The Wall, but would have to rate Dark Side of the Moon right up there with it. I need to peruse through my rock collection and give you a few other of what I would call the best rock albums. Here's some that come to mind though - Something like Fleetwood Mac' "Rumors" and Steely Dan's "Aja" or "Goucho" would be high too. As would be Supertramp's "Brother Where You Bound" (but now we're back to the Pink Floyd influence again.) My favorite Zeppelin is "In Through The Out Door", that's probably not on anyone else's list.
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                        The WHO; "Tommy", "Quadraphenia" , both masterpieces in my book.
                        Hear is a man with taste. Tommy is a big overblown but Quadraphonic is epic!

Comment

I used to love The Wall, but the last several times I listened, I had to turn it off halfway through. It's just too damn depressing.

Now for classic depressing music one can really savor, The Cure - Disintegration. It's kind of like wiggling a sore tooth. It hurts and feels good at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by chad1376 View Post
                            The Cure - Disintegration.
                            Whoa, one of my all time favorites just not for the masses.

Comment

If we're going to get off the beaten path, you guys need to look up Infected Mushroom, Converting Vegetarians, CD2 . . . start to finish, an incredible listening experience. CD1, meh, but CD2 . . . wow. Not only is it fun to listen to, it really exercises the speakers and throws huge sound stages. Nicely recorded, very dynamic and full sounding.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Working...
                              X