Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

    Hi all,
    Just curious if anyone has first hand experience with the Wavecor TW030WA11/12 tweeters? These are on a small waveguide, similar to the DXT guide. I am curious how they compare to the DXT, as I am planning another 8" 2-way and these are similarly priced units (wavecor is a bit more expensive). The obvious difference is that the wavecor is a fabric dome, while the Seas is metal, and the Wavecor is a slightly larger tweeter at 30mm vs 27mm for the Seas.

    Thanks!
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

  • #2
    Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

    Just a follow up to this, I found measurements in Voice Coil mag for the Wavecor tweeters, actually at the end of the issue with the Esoteric Daytons:

    http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/res...ary%202015.pdf

    The Wavecor TW030WA11/12 test extremely well here, stellar driver! I'm not sure where this unit is for sale in the U.S. but it is available at Solen. On a similar wavecor note, I also find this driver interesting:
    http://www.solen.ca/documents/pdf/wavecor/TW013WA01.pdf

    A 0.5" tweeter with a small waveguide, interesting little unit for using as a super-tweeter. Sensitivity is a bit low which is to be expected, but Fs is surprisingly low for a driver like this, I wonder how low in frequency is reasonable for this one. Could make a good pairing with a small midrange for a 3-way.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

      Pair for sale in Classifieds
      No matter where you go, there you are.
      Website

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

        Wish you had put those up for sale a few days earlier. I purchased a pair from Solen just last week, they're in the mail.
        I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

          I'm not sure but I may have another pair soon.
          No matter where you go, there you are.
          Website

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

            Originally posted by gowa View Post
            I'm not sure but I may have another pair soon.
            gowa has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

            I'm interested if you're looking to part with them.
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

            http://www.diy-ny.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

              Sorry about that. Cleaned up now.

              Originally posted by Face View Post
              gowa has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

              I'm interested if you're looking to part with them.
              No matter where you go, there you are.
              Website

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

                I may soon be doing a design with the Wavecor TW030WA11/12 tweeter. It will be an MTM with two 7" woofers. Unfortunately, it's not far enough along and I haven't received and tested the tweeters yet. I'm hoping it will really be a nice one when I am done though.
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

                  Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                  I may soon be doing a design with the Wavecor TW030WA11/12 tweeter. It will be an MTM with two 7" woofers. Unfortunately, it's not far enough along and I haven't received and tested the tweeters yet. I'm hoping it will really be a nice one when I am done though.
                  What 7" or 8" would be good complements for this tweeter?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

                    Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                    What 7" or 8" would be good complements for this tweeter?
                    I would think a great many of them would work OK.

                    In my case, I plan to use this driver:
                    http://meniscusaudio.com/eclipse-w6520r4-p-1406.html
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

                      Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                      I would think a great many of them would work OK.

                      In my case, I plan to use this driver:
                      http://meniscusaudio.com/eclipse-w6520r4-p-1406.html
                      this is a really good and underrated reasonably priced driver. They sound good in the Docere and also in JR's Taiga. Do we really need a Tweeter with low FS for pairing with this driver? What advantage to using a waveguide loaded tweeter say versus using the non waveguide TW030WA 05-08 where both have similar FS. Are off axis response the only advantage? I don't see the FS being lowered by a lot by the waveguide. 450Hz non waveguide vs 410hz with waveguide. But i do like the FR of the waveguide tweeter better than the non waveguide ones.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

                        Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                        Hi all,
                        Just curious if anyone has first hand experience with the Wavecor TW030WA11/12 tweeters? These are on a small waveguide, similar to the DXT guide. I am curious how they compare to the DXT, as I am planning another 8" 2-way and these are similarly priced units (wavecor is a bit more expensive). The obvious difference is that the wavecor is a fabric dome, while the Seas is metal, and the Wavecor is a slightly larger tweeter at 30mm vs 27mm for the Seas.

                        Thanks!
                        I happen to also be looking at waveguide tweeters and these seem to me to
                        be very different types. The DXT has lots of gain in the mid to lower range
                        but very little at the top end - it does not seem to behave much like a horn and
                        I understand that it is more of a diffraction lens.
                        The Wavecore reminds me a lot of the old Morel short horn tweeter but also
                        does not seem to have much gain across the board.

                        Is it worth considering the Morel CAT378:
                        http://www.parts-express.com/morel-c...m_campaign=pla

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

                          The DXT does have more low end boost than the Wavecor, however the usable sensitivity is still a bit low if you want to flatten it out to 10kHz+. The off-axis benefits appear very similar between the two, the wavecor doesn't include a low end boost in the response, however useable sensitivity is kept around 90dB all the way to 20kHz.

                          The Morel looks like a very similar face plate and cost is about the same as well when compared to the Wavecor. I'm sure its a great performer but I ultimately chose the Wavecor for my use. I'm exited to use this driver, they should be at my door any day now.
                          I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

                            Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                            The DXT does have more low end boost than the Wavecor, however the usable sensitivity is still a bit low if you want to flatten it out to 10kHz+. The off-axis benefits appear very similar between the two, the wavecor doesn't include a low end boost in the response, however useable sensitivity is kept around 90dB all the way to 20kHz.

                            The Morel looks like a very similar face plate and cost is about the same as well when compared to the Wavecor. I'm sure its a great performer but I ultimately chose the Wavecor for my use. I'm exited to use this driver, they should be at my door any day now.
                            What woofer are you planning to use?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Wavecor TW030WA11/12 vs Seas DXT

                              Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                              What woofer are you planning to use?
                              Planning on the Dayton PM220.
                              I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X