Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found some speakers and a receiver on roadside. Trying to identify the speakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found some speakers and a receiver on roadside. Trying to identify the speakers.

I was hoping that the mids were something special, but they are not marked, and one is DOA. Does this speaker look familiar?
    Attached Files

Re: Found some speakers and a receiver on roadside. Trying to identify the speakers.

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Found some speakers and a receiver on roadside. Trying to identify the speakers.

Check this

It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

The tweeters are Phillips/Goldwood.
        The mids I don't know.
        The woofers are obviously not original equipment.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          The tweeters are Phillips/Goldwood.
          The mids I don't know.
          The woofers are obviously not original equipment.

Later,
          Wolf
          The tweeters were marked, and I recognized them as Phillips right away because I still have a very old pair. I like the Phillips tweets, and was hoping the mids might be something comparable in quality. The mids have a large magnet and are very heavy. The flange is pretty thin. I was hoping that they were Morel, dynaudio, etc,.

I was surprised to see Dayton on the woofer. I wonder if all the drivers were changed from whatever the originals were. The box design looks a little familiar, but I don't know what brand it is. It seems odd that there is no model number of any kind on the box. Maybe it's a very old DIY speaker. I'm going to run a sweep on the mid today, and see if it might be usable in a center speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
            The tweeters were marked, and I recognized them as Phillips right away because I still have a very old pair. I like the Phillips tweets, and was hoping the mids might be something comparable in quality. The mids have a large magnet and are very heavy. The flange is pretty thin. I was hoping that they were Morel, dynaudio, etc,.

I was surprised to see Dayton on the woofer. I wonder if all the drivers were changed from whatever the originals were. The box design looks a little familiar, but I don't know what brand it is. It seems odd that there is no model number of any kind on the box. Maybe it's a very old DIY speaker. I'm going to run a sweep on the mid today, and see if it might be usable in a center speaker.
            Box looks a bit like the ESS AMT3.

Comment

I looked at current Dayton 12" woofers, and it looks like the basket and cone are identical to the DC-300. So, if nothing else, I scored a pair of $40 woofers if they show no problems other than the dust caps being crushed.

Comment

I'd say if your woofers have the "Classic"'s "4-sectioned paper gasket" (that sometimes come loose or even falls off, when pressed by a mounting screw) then they probably are the DC-300s. (295-315 ?). Running T/S parms should tell the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  I'd say if your woofers have the "Classic"'s "4-sectioned paper gasket" (that sometimes come loose or even falls off, when pressed by a mounting screw) then they probably are the DC-300s. (295-315 ?). Running T/S parms should tell the tale.
                  Yes, the gaskets are falling off. I assume the surround glue joint to the basket is still good, and the gaskets are not needed other than for cosmetics.

Comment

I just ran a few sweeps on the mid. It's junk.

Comment

Can you tell us the box's internal volume (or internal H x W x D), and the id and length of the port?
                      So, you'd need a "closed back mid" ('cause the mid does not have its own separate chamber).
                      The tweeter just sits out in the open, up in that top area?
                      What are the gizmos up there that look like rectangular (enclosed) transformers?

Comment

Can you tell us the box's internal volume (or internal H x W x D), and the id and length of the port?
                        So, you'd need a "closed back mid" ('cause the mid does not have its own separate chamber).
                        What are the gizmos up there that look like rectangular (enclosed) transformers?
                        I'm not planning to use the box. I ran a sweep on one of the woofers, and it appears to be OK. Do you think the surround will come loose if played without the gasket?

Comment

The link that Mattk posted shows that the stuff up top is just a plastic box with x-over parts inside.

Comment

Those are ancient EV xover boxes. They used to put them in steel cans.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                              The link that Mattk posted shows that the stuff up top is just a plastic box with x-over parts inside.
                              No- that was a refabbing to visually match the original design with a non-ferrous case. I assure you- yours are not plastic.

Later,
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                              X